Monday, January 10, 2022

Monday Musings

 Random thoughts on a Monday evening


We were having a rousing discussion on the word “elderly” in a group I am in so I asked my therapist offspring if she thought I was elderly. She said yes, and that she occasionally describes me as such to people who don’t know me. According to the kid, by their definition it has to do with needing assistance. I probably need less than ten percent assistance (although I’m probably kidding myself) but still, there it is. I have absolutely no objection to the word, mind you. I was interested in the various perspectives.


Said kid works hard and has a husband and her own dog and fosters to care for, so  some weeks we only see each other for a few hours on Monday and some weeks not at all. We are also supposed to go to a nice dinner in the next couple weeks. But I am grateful for the help she gives the hour or so she is here. I got a washer installed but the hot water did not get turned on and I cannot reach or climb over the small space, so she fixed that. She also occasionally does a “move the furniture”vacuuming and says I don't need to hire someone that she will help (we’ll see). This week she pulled all the boxes out of storage so I could deconstruct Christmas and next week she will load them away. It’s the little things.


I’m not a planner but this year I’m thinking about making a list of all the projects creative and otherwise I want to do. I’ve tried in the past, and it hasn’t worked. But I’ve got two new hobbies, and the same amount of space so I also need to figure out the logistics of what things I can do at the same time, lol.


I’m not dismissing inflation in any way, but right now it's not knowing what will be in the stores that makes me crazy. I’m okay with substituting and making do but in my personal life it’s the supply chain stuff that’s honestly more irritating. This is probably partly because of my downsizing and I admit it. And the fact that I’m doing little travel. Electricity is cheap in Texas and that’s how I heat my house, my rent only went up twenty five dollars and my internet and phone remain constant. I know gas is up, but other than the occasional day trip I’m not yet traveling again. Obviously my thinking could change at any time depending on what happens.


Occasionally it takes a comment from someone else to give you that moment of clarity, you know. I mentioned to my daughter that one of the factors in my non-cooking (because the fact that I hate it and like to eat out) is that come four thirty or five at the latest my fibro and other issues kick in. The thought of cleaning up after cooking, even for just me, is exhausting. To which she commented “Just use the slow cooker in the middle of the day, freeze everything except for that night and then you just have to zap everything at dinner and leave the dishes to soak”. Out of the minds of -whatever.


We’re at that waiting so see if the shoe will fall when it comes to so many of the things going on around here. My quilt group has canceled and moved to complete virtual at least for this month. Church worship and activities are on track right now but we were told yesterday that our monthly eating get together may be canceled depending on the numbers. The senior center is requiring all masks and closed for a week but are now open. So as of today I am restauranting with people I know who are vaxxed and boosted and church stuff with the same. I’m not returning to hibernation, but I also did not make my weekly trip to a local wine bar to hear Irish music over the weekend. It’s tightrope walking, it seems.


It’s a few minutes before eight. That means I need to take a nice hot healing shower and knit or read. And decide if I need to scream at the television or cheer away. As the kids say, If You Know, You Know.

15 comments:

  1. I sometimes call myself 'elderly' but I do it tongue in cheek. But at nearly 80 and no longer to a lot of things that require getting on my knees or on ladders or fine motor skills I really am elderly. I've always associated the word with being fragile and weak but I think it's more about age than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think it's about age and u don't get hung up on names. She associates with with limitations in independence from her job

      Delete
  2. At 75, I use age as a determinant of "elderly" status. I am elderly and that is all there is to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be delighted with "elderly". Seems since I turned 80 I am just down right old:) Things that use to take a half hour now get spread out over a couple of hours. BUT I am not sweating it. I'm still getting them done and since I don't have a job to go to, all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also don't mind elderly. Ir old for that matter. And yes. I'm slowing down. Rather, the time window when I'm energetic is closing.

      Delete
  4. Considering the word elderly, had me thinking about age. My daughter turned 40 in December - she asked her 4 year old, how old he thought she was. His response: I don't have all the numbers in my brain momma. I'm in my early 60's and though I appreciate the senior's discounts I get at some places, I don't consider my elderly...I'm sure that day will come.

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could sider it just a word. But I fund the varying perspectives on its meaning and the way people react interesting.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm, I should ask my therapist kid what “elderly” means to her…now you got me thinking, Barb 😁.
    I think your daughter’s suggestion of cooking earlier in the day is a good one. Maybe even swap out your meals; you know, have a hot meal in the middle of the day and just have a sandwich or something super easy in the evening.
    I think it’s a good idea to pay attention to our bodies and manage our energy accordingly. When I worked I would do the work that required the most brainpower in the morning (when I was sharpest) and save the boring, mundane stuff for mid-afternoon when my energy was at its lowest. In retirement, I find myself still doing this except now I can take a nap mid-afternoon if I want, and I usually do 🤣.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer being an elder, as Tom says below. I do thi k o need to time manage a bit better so I can work around flareups.

      Delete
  6. I'm not elderly. I'm an elder. Big difference in my book. Elderly means frail; elder means wise. So you too are an elder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, not sure how my sons describe me. There are days I feel much older than I really am and days I feel much younger. There are days I could use assistance (especially when my fibro, migraines, or back pain hits). I just work slowly through it and take lots of breaks. Things do get done, just probably not as good as I would like.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I'm elderly too as I need help moving big big things to clean. I thought we'd be out if this nightmare but here we are two years later. We all need to keep being patient I guess

    ReplyDelete
  9. We were just having this discussion about that word. I was saying I don't consider myself elderly. I consider myself older. Slight variation, but it makes a difference for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Years ago, a woman I worked with told me she didn't realize she was elderly until a woman her age (62) died in a fire and the newspaper headline said, "Elderly Woman Dies in Fire." She said it shocked her that she was considered elderly as she didn't feel elderly. I know we need them sometimes, but labels suck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!