Friday, January 7, 2022

Frugal Friday

 Today I am deconstructing Christmas. I always keep my decorations up until the 12th night (or Epiphany). Today I will gather everything on the dining table and start the wrapping process, waiting for my darling daughter to come and lift those heavy bins into storage afterward.

This year, since I downsized to a table top tree, I am seriously considering leaving it up year around and making it for all decor. I kinda wish it was more white than green for that purpose, but I still see it working for me. To start I’ll put on mini lights and snowflakes and then move to either Mardi Gras or Valentine, I haven’t quite decided which.




Meanwhile, looking at the frugal and the less than frugal from the last week:


  • I was given a wonderful Dirt Devil Vacuum. When I moved in I got a carpet sweeper kind of thing that has served me well, but I needed something more. This was offered up on my buy nothing group since the gal has multiple animals and needed a “pet vacuum”. I grabbed it and will enjoy using it in my fully carpeted apartment. Especially since I won’t have to empty it every five minutes like my other version.

  • I did the paperwork to be reimbursed for my Medicare Part B. My insurance reimburses me for my Part B for the first six months of each year. They have not finished updating the platform for 2022, but I have downloaded my letter and everything I need so that I can upload my proof and be ready for them to reimburse me whenever they are active for this year.

  • I earned Health Rewards dollars for spending just a few minutes. Along with that my insurance has a health rewards program (they give me a card to use on qualified expenses like scrips, first aid items and so on). I earned 75 points or dollars by filling out my health information (7 pages) and biometric info. Yea for me.

  • I’m on a mission to lower my food bill without denying myself. So I made a two week grocery list, and I’m going to see if I can make the produce last for that long (I do have frozen everything as well). I’m aiming to do a fair amount of slow cooking and freezing in the short term so that I can cook without thinking in the long term. I’ve been eating stouffer's meals for the last few days due to my aversion to cooking and the sodium man, the sodium. Eating out is not part of my food budget. Although I am thinking about changing that.

  • I made an inventory list of every creative and DIY item on hand.  As I make my list of all the things I want to do and make in the coming year project, creative and entertainment wise, I want to finish projects on hand and use up what I have. To that end I made a massive list of those things on hand and what I hope to do with them, from tiny pieces of fabric to large quilts I am not happy with that can be cut down to other things. There’s no doubt I’ll be doing spending in this area, especially with two new creative outlets that need their own supplies. But it’s a start.

  • I’ve entertained myself and socialized  for free this week (if you eliminate the cost of annual subscriptions). Between the library, TV, items on hand for self entertainment, and onsite programs it’s been a mainly no spend week.

  • In a moment of false economy, I may have waited too long to purchase a need. To give full disclosure, I left my coat in Denton and even in Texas we need coats (albeit for only a few days a year). I decided I would wait until after Christmas to shop. Well, after Christmas shopping has left the coat inventory (at least coats I like or can wear) completely decimated. It does me no good to have coats on sale for fifty bucks if I can’t find a coat for me at that price.  Live and learn.


Locally, there is both a “Hot Chocolate” walk or trail in my town square this weekend, as well as a knitting get together. I’m not sure what will happen or if I’ll join in. I feel like we’ll know more about where we are with Omicron in another month, and that maybe I should hold off on most get-togethers until then. I did order NK95 masks, but they are taking a while to arrive.


My son seems to be holding strong although he says his head really hurts. He was due for a second Pfizer tomorrow so I guess that will have to be rescheduled but he should have antibodies for awhile. 


Today is tentatively a cooking day. I’ll make chili and cornbread and freeze some of both.


I’m impatiently waiting for the warping thread I ordered so I can play with my loom.


For those who have read the book and follow these things, it looks like they are now going to make a limited mini series of Devil in the White City.  Starring Kenau Reeves.  I can see it.

16 comments:

  1. Great list and glad your son is not getting worse. I can't eat most frozen meals due to the sodium but some of Amy's and some of Trader Joe's are ok as occasional meals. I find reduced sodium canned soup along with a sandwich or cheese, crackers, veg sticks work too. Good luck with all your frugal plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wayy to much sodium. Even the lean ones. I usually end up getting the deli soups they have when I soup. I rely need to work on my lunches.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are getting your ducks in a row financially.
    Food choices are important and like you I have to watch sodium.
    Glad you son is holding his own and hope he is fine soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing your son a speedy recovery. Nice score on the vacuum.

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that book! Hope it's going to be a mini series on Netflix's.

    A hot chocolate walk sounds like fun. Never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A year-round tree sounds like fun. Since you're creative, I'll bet you could come up with ideas for decorating it nearly every month! I've gotten so I can seldom eat frozen meals either. Too much salt and now I have to eliminate foods with maltodextrin (and it's in lots of stuff!!). Cooking isn't my favorite thing to do, but the food I make from scratch generally tastes better and settles well. Hope you find a good deal on a coat you like. I'm going to try to find a warmer, yet lighter weight one for next year. Always something....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I've been looking in a ebay although their shipping is horrendous

      Delete
  6. My vaxxed brother--who had planned to be boosted when he made a trip back to the US for a doctor's appointment last week--also has Covid. I'm glad your son has held his own, but a raging headache cannot be fun. Although I am very much in favor of vaccinations and signed my husband and I up on lists in multiple sites early last year, doing the get-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night thing to look for appointments opening up, I was then told I was not a candidate because of a prior serious and life-changing reaction to another vaccination that had some of the same ingredients as found in the various vaccinations. As a result, my triple-vaxxed husband and I have been extremely careful. This is the first time I have been worried about my efforts not being enough. A new medication is now available for people like me and my rheumatologist has okayed it for me, but it's currently available only to oncology patients and transplant people, etc. I would hibernate until it's ready for the general public because I'm also immuno-compromised, but I depend on monthly infusions and require other medical appointments.

    We're looking at expenses again as we do every year this time. I applaud all your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do hope the medication that is safe to you is available soon.

      Delete
  7. Barb,
    You are a busy bee. I have found some very nice coats at Thrift Shops. Some barely worn and great for RV travel. Stay warm down there! Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a coat so few days that last year in the height of covid I just stayed home. This year will need some changes!

      Delete
  8. Wrapping paper towels around produce extends it's shelf life dramatically. I change mine out every couple of days, simply drying out and reusing the ones I've swapped out. I keep them together in a drawer, and only re-use them for produce. I can extend my produce's life for up to three weeks easily using this method.

    And I give you kudos for being able to tolerate Stouffer and the like. I can't, and will default to cheese and crackers if it's just me, or a fancy grilled cheese (deli meat, cheese, tomato, and spicy brown mustard) if feeding my husband, on those nights I just don't want to cook.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the produce. O need real food for my meals these days and have some specific requirements. I also get Schwan's and the helo fresh heat and eat but I'm trying to slowly use my large crock pot to make meals and then freeze in bags.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!