Friday, November 19, 2021

Frugal Friday and Weekly Catch-Up

 I've still not adjusted to the time change, and I prefer my extra light to be in the evenings rather than the mornings, so color me a little unhappy as we head to the longest day. I'll just be in the house before dark unless I have to go out, even if it cuts some social opportunities.

On the health side of this week I was doing pretty well until yesterday. Between working out, having a couple serious PT sessions and watching my diet I was doing well. Yesterday was one of those sit in the chair and let your mind wander kind of days which I am really trying to avoid AND I went off the diet a bit. Today I actually had a coke and a Panera cookie, so tomorrow it's back on the wagon. I actually had not had a cooke for almost five days, but the need just hit me. The good news is that I am losing an average of a pound a day (don't be jealous, it's only because I'm so darn heavy-the lighter you get the more you have to work). On one day I'm doing ten minutes of walking and ten minutes of heavy aerobics and twenty minutes of chair aerobics. The other day I'm doing 45 minutes of exercise and bands and ball squeezing and such. On the PT days I'm just happy to walk. All of which sounds good except that I've done nada yesterday and today.

Creative project  wise, I haven't got as much as I wanted to done, but I've decided it's okay. Even moving slowly I'll finish two Christmas/winter  quilts before the holidays. Other than knitting (it's portable and I can watch TV with it), I've done no project time management as such-I'm just freewheeling it! And when I do sit down at my workspace, it's more to make stuff to put on my walls or table for the holidays than anything else.

I have this daily list that basically says pray and meditate, exercise, do something for the house and get outside. After that my day is my own.

I DID have huge a fail in the socialize-meet with other people area this week. I did church on zoom, missed my two opportunities to craft with others (one at eight thirty and one at nine thirty on different days) My only outing to be with others was my Wednesday gourmet grilled cheese lunch at the cheese store with friends. I hope to do a little better this week. I don't need the humanity every day but more than once is a requirement. I even missed my evening "art on the patio or inside".

The good news is that tomorrow I am going to a local brewery that also has coffees and teas and hot chocolates (and food truck sometimes) for story time.  Yep, you heard that right.

The local library had scheduled a Transgender Story Time (with  books that are more about being a different color of crayon that having to do with sexuality). But  because some local  yahoos threatened the librarian who planned it, and they cancelled, a local mom partnered with a craft brewery and a good hundred kids are expected for the same story time. Since the Yahoos are talking about protesting, I figured it was a good day to check out their hot chocolates and teas and coffees and all the gourmet syrups that they have to put in them. 

Next week is a short one, and of course Thanksgiving. But I should get at least one other group meeting in.

This week I am grateful for good friends, my PT guy and my daughter who has decided now that I've hit seventy that her job from afar is to  bug me as often as possible on the healthy stuff so I stay independent! I'm not complaining.

Frugal Friday is drawing a blank right now, even though I know there's a long list somewhere..........but we'll save that for another day.





19 comments:

  1. Good job on the weight loss. Me, well right now I am happy to maintain. With it getting so cold I haven't been getting out to walk as much.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to get back down t o that first tier weightloss that I had...

      Delete
  2. I've been working out a lot, but I'm just offsetting the change in weight with age, I suppose. I'm fit, but could still stand to lose 15 immovable pounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never be thin. But I had lost ine hundred and gained back about twenty. I want to kill those and then we will see!

      Delete
  3. Your weight loss is really impressive! It's not easy for most of us to control our weight. I think you'll notice a big difference in how you feel. I carried a lot of extra weight for about 40 years, then started to work to lose it, gradually. I can honestly say it was worth the effort. My ankles, knees, hips and back are much better, too. I'm a believer in having a "cheat" treat/meal when you start craving. That helped me stay the course for the long haul. Yes, it is such a blessing to have kids who call us and check in often. Have a great Thanksgiving, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only trying those twenty for now. I'll still be overweight but t hat will take me to my big Wright loss previously and then we will see.

      Delete
  4. Good for you to go to the story hour event and how kind to just call them yahoos lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to be inoffensive. The brewery is taking some hits gor holding it. I figure even my litylr hot chocolate can help a bit.

      Delete
  5. Glad you are doing so well in the losing weight department. That must make you feel good.

    That this one crazy event you're going to with the coloring and book reading at the brewery with the threat of protesters. I happen to hear a conversation about transgender people here last week and I'm surprised at the ignorance of some people who think if their grandkids are exposed to transgender people then they could 'catch it' like the flu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell ya. There were will over 200 kids us supporting g people from all over and the cops wouldn't allow the protesters on the walk in front or in the lot...there were like 20 of them total.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the healthier habits paying off! You are inspiring me, Barb. And good for that mom (and you) for going ahead with Transgender Story Time...I wish there had been events like that when my kids were young...heck, it would have been handy when I was young (I grew up in a homophobic home and spent my youth scared of anything "queer" or other than cis. Stupid, I know!)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the books were mainly about just acceptance. One was about colors of crayons being alike and different although there was one about a boy telling his family.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on LOSING! Even if it's just one quarter pound ... look at a stick of butter and realize that just melted off of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are lucky to have such a wonderful daughter.
    And yay for that mom and brewery. Good for them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with the local mom and craft brewery and you too for supporting this initiative. It's such a shame that these idiots feel the need to protest something they neither understand or have any real awareness.

    I have to start doing more exercise as the scale is creeping up rather than down. Good on you for making an effort and for your daughter helping to keep you on track.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a librarian, I can tell you kids book choices reflect who they are and we can spot trans kids as tots. Parents who claim not to know or worse yet, try to deny or 'fix' their kids are doing the children such a disservice. I am so happy to see supportive parents and communities. Kudos to you for attending this event! Why do people automatically hate something just because they don't understand it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you were able to make it, I'd love to know how the story reading went at the local brewery. Good for you! Kudos to you for your recent physical and social-related health measures. We can't be perfect every moment, but it sounds as if you're making great strides.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!