Monday, November 15, 2021

Monday Musings: That Annual Physical, Projects Watching....

 I have more than my share of pet peeves. Without giving anything away to any TV watchers, one of them is listing a couple or three people as stars in a new series, and having one of them croak at the end of the first episode. I could see if they needed that name for star power, maybe,  but they didn't. Not sure I'm sticking with the show anyway, but still....! And no, it's not Yellowstone. I've come to it late, but I'm binging and I love it.

In other news:

  • I had my trusty annual physical and my results in some areas have me running screaming from the room. Covid has left me with a little more than fifteen pounds of weight loss gained back. After a good eight years of keeping my diabetic numbers at six, my most recent A1C was, well, about ten points above that! The good news is that all my clothes perfectly as they did a year ago, so the exercise has had it's positives. I'm now on a 1700 calorie diet for starts, and  a new pill!  I can't blame my numbers on lack of exercise. Right now I'm laying it at all the fast food and Panera drive throughs. Starting this week I'll have a post on Monday or Tuesday worst case and a Friday post that will be a summary/check in of progress on the week (not just the walking and eating but projects finished, books read and so on). If I get a chance, I'll add a third blog depending.
  • It's been a year and I'm sitting here looking at my very white walls It's time for me to sort the pictures and get new frames if needed, maybe hang a quilt and make some new art for the walls. I have a tutorial for making a large abstract canvas and I'm looking forward to playing with that and attaching a quilt to a canvas and then to the wall. Now that I'm getting serious about the decor, I'm looking at the color scheme below except that I'm looking to make the one that's got blue hues a teeny bit more blue. 
    I'd like the one they call Cypress to be just a tad more bluish, I think  maybe.

  • I've completed the bright pastel quilt and am now working on the traditional Christmas colors quilt. Once that one is done I'll finish and top stitch one after the other, since it requires completely cleaning off the large table in my work room. 
    Trying to decide if this is a future project


    More traditional Cristmas colors in progress

  • I finally joined the senior center and got a library card (I've been using my Colorado card since I'm mainly a digital gal except for cooking and craft type books), and I registered to vote (the only issues in this current year  were code and planning type things that I felt I was still not up to speed on). I'll continue to exercise at home both because I don't have Silver Sneakers or anything else, and because I have a wide variety of options at home. I would like to find a five minute or so wake up stretch routine that I can do when I get out of bed first thing. I'm working on that.
  • My goal is $200 for groceries or fifty bucks a week. I am trying to cook a bit more (see all the above issues) and confine my dining out to real restaurants rather than fast food and so called fast casual things like Panera. Today I had a pick up order. While things were more expensive, there was nothing not substituted easily, including my proteins. I occasionally wish that I still had something greater than my refrigerator freezer, but the times I wish it are mainly few and far between. Today I had garlic brown sugar chicken thighs and broccoli and strawberries. Maybe I can get it lower later, but I'm not obsessing in these times.
  • Jigsaw puzzles may not be for me. I've mentioned before that I am a word puzzle gal and allow a week to do the LA Times or NY Times puzzle (not saying I finish it always or most ofthe time, but I continue to work on it in ink). Not giving up on this one, but it may be that 500 pieces or so may have been a smarter start.
Tomorrow is my first day on my new medication and  it says may cause dizziness. I've cancelled my out of the house plans for the day just in case (they were knitting at eight thirty and a quilt guild meeting at seven PM-both out of my favored time zones anyway, lol).

17 comments:

  1. The annual physical...I never look forward to those. I'll bet many people are facing similar issues. Especially the weight gain. We're back to cooking most of our own meals and it is helping (not as much fun, though). Your quilt projects are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still eat out but I've adjusted the places I eat at. The quilts are coming along.

      Delete
  2. I love jigsaws AND crosswords. Follow your bliss - no sense spending time doing things you don't enjoy. Sorry about the higher numbers. Hopefully you can get that back under control soon.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to do this but we'll see.like I say I may have picked a difficult one!

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about your physical results and hope the medication works well for you. I had a laugh about the jigsaw puzzle because I gave up on the one I recently picked up as it was very frustrating not fun. I think it is more the type of picture rather than the number of pieces that raise the difficulty if too many pieces are indistinguishable then it is not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've been frustrated by the sorting by cor thing and looking for the outside. Now that I'm there we'll see how it goes!

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the new medication. I hope it and a change in diet will bring the needed results.

    I quit using the basement freezer about two years ago. Too many items were getting forgotten and never used. It's not been an always easy transition but I recently did some rearranging in the fridge freezer and it is working better for the two of us.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not like jigsaw puzzles, but my sister adores them. I give her the hardest puzzle I can find every year for Christmas. Last year's was my best because it took her nearly a week to finish it!
    Wishing you good luck with your new meds and way of eating. I think Covid and isolation has messed with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh its gonna take me a month or more to finish this one. I tell ya.

      Delete
  6. My wife got into jigsaw puzzles during Covid. I think she's cured of it now. I got into crossword puzzles, and I'm still addicted. I do the N Y Times through Wednesday or Thursday, but don't try the Sunday. I do L A Times instead because it's easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I much prefer crosswords but I'll give this a go now I have it. Lol.

      Delete
  7. Oh gosh! I'm in the same boat with Type II. What medication are you on? I take 1,500 long lasting Metformin (which causes me to have diarhhea). My biggest problem is NOT moving around. I did lose weight so my A1C went down a teensy bit.

    I just bought a storage case for jigsaw puzzles. It takes up the whole dining room table BUT it folds in half and preserves the work already done. My first puzzle is candy so I'm hoping the boys will be enticed!

    Keep on attacking the Type II.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am normally NEVER above 6. I dint know what happened but getting it back down there now. Allergic to metformen so I take glipizide and now Jardiance at least for awhile.

      Delete
  8. I will be doing my annual physical once I meet my new doctor. Then in February I will need to travel to visit my OB/GYN for my yearly, for the rest of my life, internal exam to make sure my cervical cancer is still gone. Just lovely.

    Covid put some of my lost weight back on me as well. But like you clothes still fit and in some cases are getting slightly looser on me.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the crossword puzzles in the NY Times and the LA Times. On Monday I feel absolutely brilliant but by the end of the week, I wonder how I managed to get out of high school.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about the need for a new diabetes med, but kudos to you for getting that annual physical and figuring it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a blood test coming up soon and I'm nervous. My glucose level each morning is jumping all over the place. Up down, up down. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!