Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Once Again..........

 Today's scheduled post (yesterday's post actually) was meant to be a retirement apartment update. I figured it was time to share some of the best retirement aspects, especially safety and community wise of the place, along with some "tools" I've aquired. And so I will. Sometime very soon!

First, though, a confession:  On Saturday, I fell. In my parking lot. The fault was entirely mine. I cannot blame it on dizziness or lack of co-ordination although leg weakness surely contributed as well. Mainly though, there was a complete lack of paying attention. 

In spite of my FEAR of falling, I rarely fall. I think I've had two major falls while blogging (and since I also have a multiply injured ankle, a couple twists and turns that I didn't even remember at the time that have left me holding the walls for a few days) Many readers may remember the last time I fell on uneven broken payment. A fall that directly lead to the refurbishment of said walk in front of my local Bad Daddy's. Folks that have been around longer may remember my falling down my front steps in the icy snow and landing and a bush, and putting in new railing immediately afterward. 

While I may be able to blame at least part of fall one on weather and lack of railing, and fall two on a piece of pavement that was separated by two inches with no markings, this time there is absolutely no one to blame.  Just me. There is a curb where I park, and my normal method is to hold onto my car with one hand and use my cane with the other to take the small step down and avoid the trek to the ramp. It has worked well since October. 

Saturday as I stepped down, I was looking elsewhere-at one of the trucks unpacking for people who moved in. I immediately and completely lost my balance and headed downwards. Fortunately I do actually know HOW to fall, so I let my self  keep falling rather than stopping said fall, and slapped my hand on the other car (a small price to pay if I scratched it) and turned my body so that I landed on my more than voluptuous rear. Hard. Darned hard. With bruises on my arms but no head injury.

Unfortunately, although I fall well (lol) I literally cannot get up these days.  For years I used to do the so call "twist" method of turning the body and extended one hand over the other and then coming up on one knee and using hands and furniture to rise. It works well, and as someone who has had had degenerative disease for years, I know it well. But I can't do that anymore. And I was between the two cars and a column and a curb, so even if I had been able to do such a move or get up on my kees, there was nothing.  Almost everyone was out shopping and doing errands except for a couple gals, and my daughter and son in law were a half an hour away.

 At the advice of  the growing crowd-most of whom were my age and younger mind you-a call to 911 was made.  I literally told them "I've fallen and I can't get up". After hysterical laughter from both myself and the operator, a small truck was sent, and thirty seconds later I was upright and ready to get into my car and get fabric and Panera for dinner. No slouch am I!

It does seem that the 911 knows this place well. I wasn't really suprised. I mean I and many of my day to day visiting and chatting with type pals are late fifties to seventy or so range. We have fairly decent to good health and mobility. But there are also folks here with health issues as well as up to age 102. On any given day you can see how many of the residents have some kind of home assistance, even if it's just housekeeping and cooking. After the storm, the elevators were down for well over a week while a part arrived from Sweden (don't ask, I didn't). So there were three strong hunky type guys in uniform the age of my son in law regularly helping the non stair walking types up and down to go to regular medical appointments and take care of other needs.

Remember I once said I was considering the second floor?  Aren't we all glad I didn't follow up on that one?  Honestly I can only assume that people who make that decision do so for some kind of privacy or security issue. But I slept on the first floor in my house, this is a gated community with patrols and it's very well lit. For me it was a no brainer, and more so after the Hell Freezing Over Experience.

While I talk about falling a bunch and have a healthy fear of falling I don't fall very often. Not that three falls in twelve years is a GOOD thing, just that with a leg that always hurts and gives out at will and very occasional balance issues, it could be so much worse. Especially while I was living in a house with stair entrances on all sides. But I've taken advantage of a balance issues class, and this is one area where I am completely unashamed to take advantage of every resource, considering myself young or not.

I have a nightlight in my bathroom and I leave the bathroom open at night and bedroom door open so I have a straight line of sight (because who of us doesn't get up at four am or there abouts at least once in awhile). I have a cane and I take it with me, knowing I can leave it in the car. I especially take it with me to concerts and sporting events and on public transportation and trains because people just automatically give you space, you know? I have a rolling walker. One that was given for me purely for the purpose of using the seat in standing room only jazz and blues venues which I have done more times than I can count. I now keep it next to my bed in case I feel the need to hang onto something when I get up. I an unashamed to ask people who invite me over if they have stairs, and if they say yes, I again am comfortable asking them to assist me up said stairs.

If could only just pay attention where I am going, we would be peachy. Or at least better of than I am now. Because I hurt. Specifically my butt bone hurts like hell (sorry, there is no other way to say it), my arms and shoulders are sore as hell and my elbow has a scab.  But I didn't hit my head (automatic Doctor's trip for me without question) and my hips are intact, and tomorrow is another day.


24 comments:

  1. A fall can sneak up on you unexpectedly. I was out in the yard pulling some weeds about two weeks ago. I stepped up into a flowerbed raised about 8 inches or so and then when I stepped out backward with one foot, I hit a muddy spot and my foot slipped right out from under me. I wound up falling on my right shoulder and side. For a minute I laid there and thought "I hope I haven't broken something" but then slowly got to my feet. It can happen so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it ended as well as a fall possibly could! So many things happen due to momentary lapses in attention no matter what age we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. And I tend to be absent minded which is why I don't generally multi task.

      Delete
  3. What a dramatic fall that was. How good 911 help arrived and got you up on your feet and on your way again. We simply can not be aware every instant of every day about being alert to prevent a fall. Every time I almost fall I send a quick thank you prayer, thank you for catching me Jesus! Keep on healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I.know bit I must do better with the attention thing.

      Delete
  4. So glad to hear you are OK and on the mend. Like you, I occasionally fall, not because I'm dizzy or lose unconsciousness, but because I'm looking elsewhere or something is not right (for example, an unanchored cobblestone if Florence sent me tumbling when I stepped on it). I shattered my kneecap 23 years ago when I tripped as I climbed over a baby gate at the bottom of our stairs. I live in fear now of falling on that knee again and have developed some pretty strong reflexes to keep that knee safe when I fall; however, that means the potential for other parts of me tend to get injured has gone way up. Anyway, hope you mend quickly, and I'm so glad it wasn't worse, and that you were quickly able to get help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This was a reminder that I do want to continue my weight and strengthening exercises

      Delete
  5. One of my Mom's friends who has absolutely no mobility issues keeps a rollator by her bed at night to use if she has to get up to use the restroom. She is afraid of falling while in a sleepy state. I think it is extremely wise of her. My left knee is creepy and if I fall I have to do the Inch worm method of uprighting myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having it near my bed. I dint actually take it into the bathroom but it's like having a rail to grab while I stand.

      Delete
  6. Ice took me down one time. Wisteria growing in the grass another time. stepping off the side of a sidewalk the other. Of course, I rolled off the bed due to a mattress off the side. When I have fallen, it is a humdinger and I can no longer get up without pulling up on something. So, I understand. I did hit my head with two of those falls, so maybe that explains things...lol. We need to not fall, however we do that. I am glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I'm happy to hear you weren't seriously hurt and I hope the bruises and aches and pains fade soon.

    I did get a chuckle out of your description of the conversation with the 911 operator. To be certain I wasn't laughing at you, but with you.

    My Dad fell a number of times as he aged, for many different reasons. Once he fell outdoors at the local museum and rendered unconscious. An ambulance was called and when the EMT's arrived, he came to and asked who the ambulance was for. I'm still impressed that they were able to convince him to go to the hospital to be checked out.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I smone of those when the head is it ine must ho to the hospital types. I try not to lecture those who don't but as people like Liam Neeses wife shows you cab be fine for hours and even days and then have a bleed.

      Delete
  8. Yikes! So glad you are not hurt more. I hope your bruises and soreness heal quickly. Use that cane and walker proudly! And no more falls, please. Side note: three strong hunky guys in uniform might make me re-consider the second floor option. *snicker*

    Sassybear
    Www.Idleeyesandadormy.Com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol.that knitting bartender FB group of mine has many photos of barely dressed men
      In lovely sweaters. Just saying.

      Delete
  9. Yikes! So glad you are not hurt more. I hope your bruises and soreness heal quickly. Use that cane and walker proudly! And no more falls, please. Side note: three strong hunky guys in uniform might make me re-consider the second floor option. *snicker*

    Sassybear
    Www.Idleeyesandadormy.Com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have fallen seriously,twice,during Covid.Both times were due to inattention! I was riding my bike way too fast and not paying attention to the area where we were riding.. it was gravelly and uneven and when I hit a soft patch I went flying and had no helmet on. I hit my head and it scared the pants off me.Scraped up my knee and wrist.Luckily did not break anything. I was rattled, did not ride my bike for 6 weeks but decided to get “back in the saddle “ and NEVER ride without a helmet again! And I slowed down!! bought a really good helmet at a local bike shop and am happily back riding. My second fall, we were walking briskly through a local riparian park and a certain area has potholes and uneven places where dirt has dried up and created crevices. Ken pointed out a bird to check out and as I walked , not watching where I stepped.. I fell into a hole and fell hard..another bruised up knee and arm but at least i did not hit my head! It’s scary! I am much more careful now.. I realize I am getting older and a fall can cause real damage.I watch where I walk and ride very carefully !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbara, Oh my gosh... I am so glad you are okay. Thanks for the great tip that I may use in the future regarding getting a ground floor apartment versus one that requires steps if elevator on the blink. That was smart thinking of you. I agree that those balance and strength exercises really help. I quit doing them when Covid appeared and I could no longer go to my group exercise classes. I keep telling myself to do those exercises at home as I have the equipment but you know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry. Hope your butt bone feels better. And your description of the 911 call cracked me up. But I'm glad it wasn't worse.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry you fell, Barb, but so glad you're intact! I've had a few falls, too, and wish I'd had your sense to fall on my rear. Hope and pray that you heal quickly. It sounds as though you've tried to take precautions and that's all we can do. Also glad to hear that you received assistance quickly--that really does matter. Maybe they need to keep one of those hunky guys on the grounds to help residents...just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hoping you heal fully and completely, Barb.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know how I missed reading this post, but I'm so glad to know you didn't get seriously hurt in your fall.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I'm so sorry to hear of your fall - but glad at least that you didn't do yourself more injury! And you're absolutely right about the elevator business. I mean, it's all well and good being higher up but when the elevator is out of order you're screwed! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Golly, sorry to hear of your fall. I am starting a balance routine in a few months...want to join me?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!