Friday, April 23, 2021

Friday Odds and Ends-Sustainability, Cooking, Shopping.....


Improvised quilting is a messy process 


Tis a gray, gray day today. So gray that I have both the overhead and the standing lamp in the corner. It's just gray right now but starting sometime around two we are expecting thunder and lightening and hail. My car is under cover although I may re-align it a bit, and I have moved my plants back from the railing for protection. We're back up to the norm as of tomorrow morning, but today is definitely not a day for a drive, so tomorrow I may go exploring even though it's the weekend. And Sunday I may sun worship just a bit.

One of my major spending areas when it comes to the grocery thing is fast food breakfast stuff-things that I can pull out of the freezer, bakery muffins and so on. The other one is baked good snack stuff. The former is primarily because I am a "must eat as soon as I get up" person, but also an " I can barely see straight for the first hour more" type, contradiction as this may seem. I was having an issue with produce, but by buying less more often and having some canned and frozen as backup I've mainly solved that one.  

Today I am cooking, because while 65 and humid is not cold, it's cool enough that keeping the oven on is not a problem. Earlier I made poached type eggs in a muffin tin, eating two and putting the other four in the fridge after cooling. In theory I suppose they're like hard cooked by the yolks are softer and I'm hopping that a mild zapping of a few seconds won't make them rubbery (I'll add butter). This afternoon I'm going to try scrambled eggs with cheese and sausage in muffin tins for the same experiment. So long Jimmy Dean (I hope). After that is a frosted sheet cake to be divided into (tiny) squares and frozen. I dont have a mini muffin pan so if I want something with the eggs it will either be a loaf again divided into tiny servings or mini muffins from the store. Working on it, working on it. 


The yolks still ran a little so I was happy. Will they do that when cold? Probably not.


 In the creative areas of my life, I am trying to find small ways to be more mindful. Quilting and knitting especially are expensive hobbies. Quilt cotton alone costs about thirteen dollars for just a yard. Acrylic yarn uses all kinds of chemicals to make and while both cotton fabric and yarn are natural, cotton is not the most sustainable thing to grow (excessive water usage.) Let's just say I don't have a embraces living things or that uses reclaimed wood, rocks or nature. Maybe I should add one.

Up till now the my frugal measures have been mainly about making (and getting ready to sell) pretty usable things, selling what I make,  and using every little bit. Now, I'm exploring taking it to another level and using old and used clothing and recycled fabric and yarn, and some new kinds of quilting that embrace that along with the traditional things I'm doing. And also working mainly with bamboo and wool yarn.

Since yesterday was also a gray day and I read and sewed while sitting for too long, I decided I needed a quick trip out. I dropped in at a brand new craft thrift shop that just opened in our town. I did NOT end up getting yarn, thread or fabric, after all that discussion. I just figure sorting through it all required a chair and more time than I had. But I DID get a picture frame, dowels, a good easel, wreath forms and ribbons and other materials to make bowl and vase fillers both to put in the apartment and to put on my slowly developing Facebook page. 



I also dropped in at the nearby independently owed used book store, and came out with two books. Spending on books, not really frugal. Giving old books a new home, a good thing. I haven't paid for books in a very long time and am mainly a digital book gal these days. But I'm trying no screen or internet in bed and since I read on a Fire rather than a Paper White and the net is so tempting I'm moving to paper for some reading as well as whatever book I use for my night time meditations. Not sure which to start. The one that can't been fully seen is Earth Abides. A deadly disease end of the world book written in the forties, with a unique perspective on the "after" .  



I'm very slowly stepping out more. I actually have things on my calendar in May. A daytime quilt group meeting, a sit on the patio and drink and draw or craft group I just joined. Other things here and there and in person church at least once a month. Plus, I really haven't done anything or much of anything with my clothes for over a year. So I went ahead and ordered what I guess the those int he know would would consider an ensemble. I just wanted things to match because this is a new color combo for my closet. The yellow is more gold than it looked online, but I can work with it. I am really loving the pinks.


Spring colors make me happy!

I'm trying to decide whether to hit a German Fest this weekend or Lavender fields. Or accept that the crowds will be unbearable and just head out to a far away park or field.....

22 comments:

  1. I love a good independent book store! You can find some real gems sometime. In this internet shopping age I'm sure these small store owners love to see a person walk in the door. As for breakfast, I'm like you, I like to eat something not long after waking. My wife, on the other hand, likes to wait an hour or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know slot of people whi need instant caffeine but then want to wait for the food.

      Delete
  2. Cheery new clothes and quilt colors. Great that you are able to get out and go places now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheery new clothes and quilt colors. Great that you are able to get out and go places now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new life in Texas is falling into place and patterns. Can't wait to see it unfold over the coming months.

    I'm hoping your interest in colorful clothing will rub off on me. I'm SO entrenched into a black on black wardrobe I don't know if I'll ever take the plunge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I have never worn blavk.or navy except on the bottom half and occasionally a cardigan..it's just always been me..

      Delete
    2. I'm always black ... use scarf or jewelry or something of color in my hair! I almost always have black shoes and purse! Summertime brings out more colorful me ... and my non-iron house dresses need nothing ... maybe a hat

      Delete
  5. I can highly recommend "their Eyes Were Watching God." My independent bookstore changed hands. When I first went there, a huge dog with fangs hit the door, trying to kill me, I suppose. There is no phone number, so I just sty away! So many independent bookstores have cats, so I cannot go there. I have not found a craft thrift store. I like your new clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barb, that is the prettiest muffin tin I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polish pottery is the best. As long as you spray it first, absutely everything will some off with soap and water and a cloth.

      Delete
    2. I thought the same thing Mona - just lovely! And as someone who couldn't poach an egg to save her life I'm DEAD IMPRESSED with those eggs too!

      Delete
  7. You're definitely settled in well, and as things become more settled I'm sure you'll be even busier.

    Pretty outfits! And as someone else has said the muffin tin is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter needs to eat early in the morning, too, and she really likes those egg/sausage/cheese muffins. She makes them and freezes them. Gosh, I agree with Mona, I couldn't take my eyes off that pretty muffin pan. Doggone, now I'm gonna want Polish pottery...it's always something!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a yolk person, too. Sunnyside up or over easy preferred with toast.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your eggs look very tasty. I haven't done much with eggs lately, but you're making me think about it. I didn't realize quilting cloth was so much more expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Color me green! Both an independent used book store AND a pink blouse!
    My journey to Idaho really helped me see where I could spend some serious time. I don't think I will ever be as busy as you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm trying to slow down in other areas including the social butterfly side to make space for crafting and eating and exercise and reading. My to be read list needs help.

      Delete
  12. Ha ha. I too am an "I can barely see straight for the first hour" type but there's no way I can eat anything for at least an hour after I get up . . . presumably because I can barely see straight. Anyhoo ... I gotta check out Earth Abides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the best of the genre necessarily by any means I don't think. I've never read the book but when I was a kid it was serialized over weeks on AFN radio and it has a unique perspective. I was looking for Swan Song which is on my short list but they didnt have it. I know I'm unusual.in that I fall under the I'm starving but still unawake grouping.

      Delete
  13. I LOVE eggs! Poach in microwave for 60 seconds, then put a plate over the top for 15 or so seconds. Depends on microwave power and size of mug.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!