Friday, March 19, 2021

Free and Frugalish Friday

Today was haircut day, and a day it was. First  I had to find a good picture (like my wedding photo) to show the poor hairdresser what my hair looked like pre Covid since I was in a new place with new stylist. Then I had to sit there while she basically chopped off all of said hair because I had done such a lousy self cut job the past few times that it was a mess. Now I wait for it go grow out long enough on top that she can actually razor cut said hair, while keeping the sides summery short. 

That aside, here are a few of the things that happened to help keep expenses down around the old retirement abode this week.

 1. I am now the owner of a large bag of matching hair care products that with my short cut will probably last me indefinitely. My daughter has been experimenting with hair care products and been dissatisfied. A friend finally told her that if she was going to spend almost a hundred dollars every few months for a trim and style and lightening, that she should just spend the money for the good hair care stuff (I agree, although I don't know what they decided that is). She's done that, so I now  have multiples of various suave shampoos and conditioners and the like, all partially used but that will last forever with my cropped top.

2. Tonight is free dinner night. The community has opened some amenities (the library and the community room, with a limited number of users allowed), They aren't having group sit down meals yet, but they've returned to opening the kitchen/restaurant area. So instead we have a takeaway dinner this afternoon evening. As always it' a chance to chat (masked) with others even if there is no sitting down together. Not sure what it is but I will wander down to say hi and have a bit of a social (masks are still required everywhere)

3. I went through freezer and pantry to see what can be done about making meals for as much of the rest of the month as possible. In between my front porch  meals I'll be making a smoked sausage and pasta and vegetable alfredo bake, Tuna casserole (upscaled with pecans, wine and buttered crackers) and these  turkey and cheese sliders for starts (add Worcestershire and a touch of brown sugar). As an aside, I am here to tell you that those ready packages of pasta that you just heat up rather than boil are actually very good. And save me from having to get out my colander for a single serving amount of ziti or rigatoni.

4. I'm fairly sure I have mentioned my intent to do this before, or even talked about having started it. But I now have a FULL list of every partially finished creative item as well as what is needed to finish it, as well as all the supplies and fabric and yarn I have on hand. As well as the things I want to make soon and what is needed for that.

5. Harking back to that patio decor Pinterest search mentioned last time, I also realized that I left ALL my Easter stuff behind. Egg tree with hand painted eggs, baskets, signs, the works. I broke down and got some door decor, and I may wander to the dollar store and see what's available there. But my goal for both patio and seasonal, is to try and make things myself both to use them up and save money until I can get the rest of the stuff. Fabric and quilted flags to go both on the door and on the patio railing are high on the list, and a couple farm house like signs to go on my walls. Also, some wind chime like patio decor projects like this one which is made with air dry clay and yarn. All on hand. We'll see. 



I don't speak the language, but I have contacted Catholic Charities in Dallas and will fill out an application and background check to see if there is some way I can physically volunteer at the convention center here where all the teen refugees are temporarily being housed.


19 comments:

  1. Very pretty wind chime. I love those and have many chimes around the yard.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't do that cause this is a high wind area. But I can do something with the soft spongy clay stuff I hope

      Delete
  2. Nice to be out in the community, if only a little bit. Also, nice wind chimes, and nice that you're looking to volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've berl looking for safe opportunities. They probably won't take me up on this as my Spanish is nil.

      Delete
  3. I'm surprised your complex allows wind chimes. A lot of places around here won't and I'm waiting on an answer about that every question from where I'll be living. I have a dozen or so and would like to take a couple with me. Vietnam Vets especially hate them.

    Making flags and door quilts is a great idea that I'm filing away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The allow it. But I live in the high wind plains so that's why im.usung soft clay..that's crayola. I'd drive myself crazy otherwise. I don't actually know if we have rules like that.

      Delete
  4. Nice of your daughter to pass along her hair care products.
    I miss my in person volunteering and will be so happy when I can do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had no better hair experience with expensive stuff than inexpensive hair stuff. I do splurge on a leave in conditioner. Otherwise even with long hair, I don't spend much.I didn't realize your place had meal servuce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not on a day by day basis as such. They serve lunch daily and the have group dinners a couple times a week in the normal times and celebrate holidays and such.Whatever she's now using she likes it much better than what she had before.

      Delete
  6. Love that you're looking for volunteer opportunities. There are so many great ways to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are. and I have really not started looking intensively yet, I'll probably wait until June to go back more all out in that area.

      Delete
  7. I really am looking forward to a professional haircut. Got my 2nd shot yesterday, so maybe next month I'll feel okay about getting it done. Kinda funny but my daughter is experimenting with better quality hair products, so i was the recipient of her old stuff. I don't mind one bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always happy to take her rejects of any thing at all.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like things are opening up and you're able to take advantage of some of the changes. Good on you for looking to help out.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So delighted you are able to get out and about more. This is (except for that freak storm) one of the best times of year in the Southwest.
    I hope you do get in to help in the convention center. My friend isn't able to. She does speak Spanish...so that didn't seem to help. I am anxious for bills to pass and start getting people some legalization paperwork. Woo HOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect they have all the help they need right now. depending on need, I will wait and do nothing now and look and possibly going down south o assist near the border with an agency in the hot weather............

      Delete
  10. I have been spending the money on good quality hair products. I have switched from bottles of shampoo and conditioner to the bars as they are organic and have no degreasers or other harsh chemicals. My hair is elbow length, and I take a seat on the stool every couple months and have him give me a trim to remove the split/damaged ends. So I don’t have the hassle or expense of going to the salon. I use oils in my hair to keep my ends moisturized, and I don’t use heating appliances. After I wash my hair, I towel it dry, then have my husband braid my hair for me. So overall my hair care costs are low. My mom and my best friend also have my husband cut their hair as they like his work, plus they are getting a free haircut.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!