Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Small Freedoms and Other Mainly Good Things

I really just do not do well at all with the time changes. I am already on the edge energy wise with my thyroid and it seems like even that single lousy hour knocks me for a loop for like a week.  I also wish they would just make daylight savings time regular time (seriously kids in the north are gonna be in the dark either going or coming). Every year there's talk about changing and every year it doesn't happen.

Other than that bit of whine, mainly good things have happened round here.  At two weeks minus four days I have finally been out and about. I've taken a good hour plus drive in the eighty degree sunshine with the window rolled down in order to pick up my Front Porch Pantry meals. Normally I would pay the delivery fee, but as a woman who lives to drive and has so missed driving, I truly needed to hit that seventy miles per hour and stretch my driving muscles.  While out and about, I went into a craft store (or maybe two), to get the finishing items for those quilts.

Future step out plans include the quilt store (I've since found out that they have masked and social distanced sewing days and workshops, so I'll join in there) and possibly some sip and paint type craft classes down the road. I haven't gotten my hair cut yet, but that's only because I want to grow it out some after my self butchering so the poor stylist can actually do her work. I'm still considering the patio drink thing, either alone or with others who've been vaccinated.  I've considered entry to Walmart or Target or the mall, and may consider one of the above-but honestly, even pre Covid I was a mainly curbside or delivery gal. So I expect my in store forays will mainly be of the local independent variety-like the used bookstore on the square that I've just realized needed to be added to my list.

Between vaccination time and good weather, it's time for me to be doing some driving and exploring within my cautious limits, so I subscribed to a couple of those "What to do this weekend in" type webpages as well as a blog that writes about Texas small towns. Because when not making large road trips (Gulf Shores, Alabama calls my name these days, among others), my jam is the very small towns and their old squares. Many of which also happen to have quilt or yarn stores! And bakeries. And sometimes breweries or wineries.

In non-vaccine related good news, I have been poked, prodded, stretched and squeezed via my annual mammogram and trans-vaginal sonogram. I can now say two of my overdue annual tests are finished for a year and six months respectively. Next up is my skin test, being formerly a person who lived  miles closer to the unfiltered sun. 


I can't decide between the rocking and non rocking style (I am not into the deep seated wicker look or real wicker stuff)

Whatever else is involved there must be ladybugs

Also non vaccine related, the upside of moving with a third of what I owned (which I'll rectify somewhat in May or June) is that I have a lot of blank slate to play with, especially when it comes to my walls and patio. I've spent more than a few hours in the past week or two either on Pinterest or the Wayfair website and other places picking and choosing picture frames, looking at club chairs for the patio and decided on wall decor and pillows for inside and out. As well as designing some modern wall hangings to make myself for all the white walls! I get my stimulus by check in the mail rather than direct deposit, so I figure I've got three weeks to make a final decision on good chairs and some other things (After looking extensively at FB marketplace' I'm going with used in good condition for the washer and dryer).  

I also have been pulling out European photos to be framed as well as art work from both myself and son (who is a good artist when he wants to draw).


This is a simple design but I'm taking my inspiration these days from Shannon Fraser designs as I work towards more organic wall hangings, Mine would be brighter and more multicolored and random...

There are more than a few things I miss about Denver, not least of which is the sunny skies. It will be eighty here but overcast most of the day, and there is much to be said for seeing sun literally almost every day of the year. This particular week however, is not one of those. I've walked outside in seventy five to eighty degree weather daily, and have sat out on the patio every day for a good hour knitting my summer top. 


Hopefully I still love the yellow when it's done!

I do wish, vaccination or no, that folks were a little more conscious about the damned mask. Yesterday I was sitting on the patio knitting and someone came up and literally leaned on the patio mask-less, and I wished I had brought a mask outside. Guess the paranoia still exists within me.

24 comments:

  1. Glad you are getting out and feeling safer to do so. I do think we are in for a difficult transition time as lots of people feel they can not wear masks due to vaccinations or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and even official opinions I think vary. We're all learning how to be comfy I guess.

      Delete
  2. It's good to read about small steps forward in our (hopefully) post Covid ala vaccine world! Freedom is a wonderful thing. Sure nice to be able to think about spring/summer and outdoor furniture. I think it might be nice to try a rocker, but that's just me. Sometimes it's soothing to rock and daydream while outside. I actually like the simple design of that vibrant quilt. Hope you continue to do well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like that quilt.y
      I think our freedoms will still be limited for awhile. I tend to lean towards the rocker.

      Delete
  3. My vote is also for the rocker. Keep wearing your mask despite other opinions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear it except when walking and with family or eating.

      Delete
  4. I am just relieved to "see" you! It had almost been a week, and I was getting worried.
    If I were you I would just wear a mask if you are outside if you feel it keeps you safe. That is what I do. Maybe you could hang a "mask zone" up on your porch?
    Love the chairs. We have one of each (rocking/nonrocking) in our sunroom. Love having a choice in the sun. You might start looking for a nice, small umbrella for the summer as well.
    My house is totally pared down. I think I like it. Now I am thinking of going through my packed boxes again. We got rid of a fair amount of furniture to kids. Woo Hooo! Complete win!
    I will have to buy a sofa and some comfy chairs for our new place, but I have loads of time to decide. My largest surprise so far in this process is that a fridge will take about four months for delivery!
    The quilt is wonderful. Is that hand quilted?I am forming my color palette around a quilt that a friend made for me.
    Good to see you again! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. My place is sparse but some of my neighbors obviously moved a complete two housing feet into nine hundred feet without getting rid of anything at all it seems. The patio is north facing and covered so I think and hope I'm covered for texas heat.. I hope. Ot means I have to go to a bench in the communal park for full sun but I've decided that's okay and an excuse for me to walk.

      Delete
  5. Ah, such a refreshing post! I think we're all itching to get outside, do a little exploring, and have a drink on the patio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your yellow sweater, the little rows of holes and the color which I can't wear but it makes me smile.

    The anti maskers and anti-vaccers really are making the pandemic so much worse/longer than it needs to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I m not sure if I'm making they eyelet holes go all the way up yet or not...

      Delete
  7. I don't think you are paranoid - there are a number of variants out there and the vaccine doesn't necessarily keep you from getting Covid, it merely ensures that the case will be generally mild.

    I'm so excited because I got my first shot today. It's about a month earlier that I expected - with AstraZeneca originally not recommended for those over 65, our province opened it up to 60-64. It was a 3 hour wait in a long line up today but that didn't matter. I feel like I can an end in sight....it may be a while off yet but it's definitely getting closer.

    Enjoy decorating your place, inside and out! Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Gulf Shores, Orange Beach.... like to eat at Felix Fish Camp off Mobile bay on causeway after the tunnel, Oyster House in Gulf Shores, Sea n Suds, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a blast going out and about, even on a very limited basis. We are going to try to find some uncrowded outdoor dining this weekend (weather cooperating)
    Gulf Shores is a lovely place, but not where I would go if I did not want to be in a crowd. Spring Break is beginning and where beaches and sun are, lots of folks follow.
    I have started keeping a mask in my pocket at all times. That way I have one if needed, though all of my neighbors maintain a respectable distance when we are talking outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gulf shores would not happen now but in late summer or early fall.still not sure if I'm ready for the dining thing.

      Delete
  10. I am glad you continue to be cautious! I love the sweater color and design. You could put a fan outdoors and point it to the open air where people lean in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those ladybugs are just so adorable. I wish they would get rid of the Daylight Savings too. Hawaii doesn't change, but Illinois and Maryland do. I have to keep remembering when I can call the kids. When we lived in Illinois, it was always a chore to change all the clocks in spring and fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to get rid of it. I just wanna keep it as real time. I think I'm getting the ladybugs for sure.

      Delete
  12. Yay for new freedoms. In 10 days we will both be 2 weeks post 2nd shot and are planning to celebrate by going to a comic book shop and *maybe* ordering food for pick-up from a favorite restaurant we haven’t been to in a year (with masks, of course. No relaxing that habit anytime soon.)

    I favor the rocket, but we have both for our porch and patio so I say why choose? (Assuming space isn’t an issue.)

    Sassybear
    Www.Idleeyesandadormy.Com

    Stay safe and enjoy your good weather (SO jealous as our temps still hover in the 20s.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Space is a limited issue. Still.tjinkingbavout arrangements snd all that.

      Delete
  13. I wear a mask looped over my wrist, ready to swing up across my face, when I walk. Our neighborhood has one-acre lots so we can talk to people out in their front yard while we're walking without masking. However, a couple of walkers will march right across the street to stand within a few feet so our dogs can greet each other, before I have time to pull out a mask. I've even posted on our neighborhood page why I'm so skittish (immuno-compromised), but it does no good. I have to be ever ready!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful that you are out and about once again. Enjoy it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!