Monday, November 2, 2020

November, Changes!

As I start this post, you will be happy to know that I am sitting- on my own sofa, in my own apartment, with my own things!  They came on Thursday. The front rooms are at least presentable enough for me to open the door (and open it to anyone else) without cringing. The kitchen is workable although not close to being finished. I can sleep on my side of the bed. I cannot say much for the rest, though!

My sewing room move is a double edged sword. I left behind one table and all the storage.  Which means right now everything is in boxes by type. It also means that I get to decide how to store everything from scratch and get a new table. Which is fun, but probably leaves said studio/office in flux for many a week to come. 




When I finally got out of bed yesterday (I don't deal with time changes well at all and really wish that so called daylight savings time was real time year around), the parking lot was pretty well empty. Unsure if folks went to family or to church (some of the biggies round here have piles of cars and lots of hugging outside). I enjoyed a quiet day since I just left D and SIL on Thursday and had plenty to do. 



It's a new month, with a new, mainly empty calendar to fill, in a new place. In the time of Covid. It can aways be difficult to meet your neigbors, but this time is especially difficult. That doesn't phase me or make me less happy about the move at all. I am still really excited about the changes!! I've met a couple of apartment neighbors to say hello, and chatted with some folks on my brief, trudging walk to the mail kiosk. In a perfect world, the library and community rooms would be open, but I am not a jump out there and introduce myself type of gal to a bunch of people all at once. So in some ways this may be an easier adustment, who knows. 



There  is much less mask wearing outside and in the covered but airy hall areas than I am used to, and I think I will probably be "that woman" for while in that regard. I will not chat two feet away from someone without a mask, so in the beginning folks may think I am odd but so be it.  It's actually funny, all these seniors (from 55 to 90 something) walking around maskless, and yet nothing is open. Senior center, silver sneakers, community theater, library book clubs, you name it. It's going to be an adjustment as Colorado was, overall, pretty darned tight in the mask wearing area.

Instead I'll be keeping myself busy unpacking and doing creative stuff (that goal list included no creative stuff, much of which needs to be finished for the holidays) and working to find chances to socialize, virtually and maybe on rare occasions otherwise. I'm making a list of things to finsh by the first if possible and then I'm going to copy Jackie's method of assigning them numbers and drawing one at a time. I'm looking to sign up for a racial justice weekly book club through church (virtual), as well as the weekly "second half" tea (also virtual), and join the quilt guild (monthly virtual meetings for now). My move eliminated any chance of senior college at least until January, then I'll join up. And I'll remain on my Texas knitting zoom some weeks. Not a fan of regular social media as such in the normal times, but need to add some friends to my FB list and I really enjoy the "groups" on FB for knitting and quiliting and travel. I even belong to one called Cool Retired Women!

I'm promising myself that I will leave the house daily, even if just for a short drive to a park or to take a very short walk (we'll see how long that commitment lasts)  and as long as the weather is nice enough (which should be for a long, long while) to sit on the patio and knit or whatever for awhile everyday, both to enjoy the Texas weather and have a chance to say high and wave at people who walk by within the safety of my little wrought iron, fenced off area. Laugh though you may.

I decided that I would take decorating pumpkins off last week's end of year goal list. Instead daughter and I are going to make gingerbread houses from scratch, I want to make a some Christmas decor (will add those to the creative list coming up) and go on a lights tour. Dallas has one of the best botanic gardens/arboretums in the country and I'm wondering if I will feel comfy doing that with the mask attitude here.

I've been cooking with my toaster oven and small pans, and that works (one night I cooked eight chicken thighs in the slow cooker. Thats not gonna work for me any more). I've decided to get a 1.5 or two quart slow cooker this week. Also, the reality is that I am gonna want to deliver/carry in a couple times for dinner and I have adjusted said budget.  Saturday I had a cup of Panera soup and a half sandwich. Sooooo good!

Today's goals are to work on organizing that sewing room, pull out the projects I hope to finish for the holidays and put them aside, and hang up some of my clothes from the clothing boxes. You all may see posts much more often for awhile as I aim to motivate to get apartment and projects finished.


25 comments:

  1. Glad you got your furniture delivered and have a plan and goals. Moving is hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving is a pain in the you know what. Fortunately the end is a happy result in my experience!

      Delete
  2. You sound happy!!! I agree about the mask wearing. You can still talk to people and if they think you are "that woman" so be it. I have a feeling it will be fine.
    I love Panera soup and sandwiches...enjoy.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your belongings arrived and you are getting settled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what you've shown of your new place, it's very cute! I know you'll enjoy living there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good gosh! Seniors are walking around without a mask? OH MY GOODNESS! That's incredible. I'm glad you're being safe. Moving to a different place always takes so much organizing. On the plus side, you do now have the time to do it. Your new place looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I've bern walking some more and it seems to be about fifty/fifty. I ended up sitting in the sun for awhile and many people were masked, so hopefully I won't be the odd girl out so much!

      Delete
  6. Glad you're halfway settled! it sure looks nice for you! As for masks you don't see people without them here so I guess it depends on where you're at. It's awfully stupid to be a senior and not wear one for other seniors around them. I guess if they don't care about themselves they should think of their friends and neighbors. Barb you be that "woman" and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend to
      I would say its about fifty fifty here. I'm comfy on my patio di ce the sidewalk keeps me st more than six feet but I always take one outside with me just in case

      Delete
  7. I'm so happy to hear that you're in your new home and starting the process of settling in. It sounds lovely, a private space for yourself and a patio to relax, knit, read or wave at the neighbours. Enjoy!

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Texas just overtook California in the covid victims. I would wear the mask on the patio since covid can travel through iron fences. Your place looks nice. I don't mind being "that woman" at all. I was an early adopter of masks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I'm six feet inside my patio I feel comfortable. Anyone walking by on the path is six feet away I'm going to be comfy on my own porch for now.

      Delete
  9. So nice you're beginning to settle in. It's good to "be that person" re: mask wearing. At least you know, you're being the smart one!!
    Enjoy your new digs! Love to read your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take it wherever I go. I may pull it down when I'm alone but pull it up when people appear for sure!

      Delete
  10. Yay, you are in your apartment and from the pictures it looks lovely. I am envious of you getting to plan all new storage for your craft room.

    Hope the number drawing works as well for you as it has for me.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad your furniture arrived and you can finally get settled in. like your plan of getting out of the house every day. I could benefit from following your lead in doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're a little disoriented, too, with the time change and new month on the calendar. But you with a whole new living arrangement -- you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The NEW You!!! The place looks fab and I hope you meet some like minded ladies to pal around with .... WITH masks on for a couple of weeks. Oregon new cases are now higher than they were at the last high. Three days in a row. Thanksgiving on my own again ... family going to Jesse's mom's for the day.

    CONGRATS on getting so much done already. Keep us along for the ride@

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wishing you happiness and good health in your new home, it looks ideal.A new start is invigorating isn't it. Crazy that older people are not wearing masks but you will fit right in with the sensible 50%.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your new apartment and furnishings are beautiful- you will be so happy in your new home. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WELCOME to your new home! It looks cozy and comfy and fresh! ENJOY. It would be a bit scary with the no maskers ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your new place looks great and I admire how quickly you are bringing it together. I've been struggling but think I may finally have my new house the comfortable, clean, neat and orgainzed space I want.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!