Thursday, November 5, 2020

Thankful Thursday

 The election results continue to drag on, with hopefully some kind of result tonight.  

As a friend said today, we need to hear something soon. Otherwise my stress eating is gonna get my weight to 270 before we see a result.

Meanwhile, I have a few things to be thankful for this week:

1.  My brother and sister-in-law sent me belated birthday/housewaming gifts. They went a bit over the top. My package included a small casserole dish that will work in my oven or my toaster oven, two cookie sheets, a set of three cutting boards, a huge box of storage containers (so that I can cook and store and freeze), a huge number of matching dish cloths, fuzzy socks, a new quilting book, and a Dickens Christmas Village church since he knows I left the village pieces for the other two.

2.  Socialization and other people. I've been sitting on the patio every day, knitting or doing something else for at least an hour. I've met quite few neighors as they walk and come and go, learned about places to drive and walk and shop, and seen multiple options for dragging groceries and stuff from the car (from traditional carts, to cloth wagons to something that almost looks like an upright wheelbarrow).  Also, I've been to my first "second half' get together with my church, which was so much fun. I reconnected with folks I knew at said  church before and am going to be doing two group things with them each week (a book group and this meeting).

3. As aways, I am thankful for the ability to self entertain and amuse myself and while I still miss my people up close and personal, I am comfortable and content (while not still settled in, or unpacked). I walk outside or workout in front of the TV, I experiment with my creative side all the time, and emjoying learning new skills and creating things that don't have to be perfect. I'm starting to experiment with cooking and baking for one, and have enough reading and televison to keep me going. Those things, along with seeing my daughter and visiting with my son and sister once a week and what's happening here are keeping me happy and content for now. 

I now have at least a partially function space to get my mojo back.

4.  I am thankful for sunshine and warmer weather.  While Colorado is a pretty mild state over all, even the ten degrees maximum difference has helped my pain significantly.

5.  I am happy that my sister and son are doing well and have developed their own dynamic since I have left. My sister is working from home. The shy little puppy dog that was curled up on the sofa has now lost all her shyness and turned into the barking hound from whatever it seems, and my son has moved into my large room and is turning his former room into a workout room /study room/den. He doesnt even want to change the bright yellow walls (when you have a borderline depressive personality, cheery things are cheery things no matter gender).  Things are moving along for them, which makes me happy.

6. You may laugh but I'm thankful for free trials.  I moved here only with an Amazon firestick and so far have only purchased internet. So I'm exploring the various options for news and local challenges including Hulu and YouTube live and the so called limited channel streaming option from my internet provider. Free trials all are helping me decide if any  them are worth it, or if I should just stick with my option of whatching PBS and the news and such online on my tablet/laptop.

Tonight, hamburgers for dinner. I'm gonna alternate news and The Queen's Gambit on TV while I make a two week grocery list and menu plan on clicklist, and the short list of things I absolutely need for the apartment (like a bathroom trash can).

21 comments:

  1. We just finished The Queens Gabit, enjoyed it. Congrats on your successful move, sounds like you are moving along in all the categories that make you happy, and in these times that is a win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are “getting on with the business of getting on” as my Mom used to say. It all sounds rather lovely. I’m glad your finding things to entertain yourself and be thankful for.
    Stay safe and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are “getting on with the business of getting on” as my Mom used to say. It all sounds rather lovely. I’m glad your finding things to entertain yourself and be thankful for.
    Stay safe and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy for you and how well you are adjusting! November especially is the month to be thankful everyday for our blessings and you are. Take good care of yourself.💖

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am excited for you that things are going so well. I am also impressed that you have your craft area functional even if it is not yet perfect. Who needs perfect anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im going to need a second table, one for the sewing machine and one for everything else, but I can fake it for awhile...

      Delete
  6. As the wife of someone who suffers depression (which actually gets much worse in the winter) I will be pulling out the Happy Light very soon.

    It sounds like you are really adjusting well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I dont think he needs tat, but I am surprised he wanted to keep my bright yellow as opposed to the beige.

      Delete
  7. It's good to hear about how you're settling in to your new digs. Meeting new neighbors is a great way to start feeling at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, although we cannot really interact int he normal way it is nce to talk to people even from afar

      Delete
  8. It's so wonderful to hear that your move has been a blessing in many ways. It sounds like you are in a good place. Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you are settling in nicely! I love that your pain is reduced. I was surprised in your earlier post to learn mask-wearing isn't the norm in Texas. I feel like masks help make this pandemic bearable -- at least you can do a few things with less risk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeaa someone knocked on my door last night and I completely forgot my mask in this new environment and there was a maskess gal on the other side offering me cake. Needed to get it. I am always on the mask side let me tell you!

      Delete
  10. I forgot to thank you for your decision to stay in Colorado long enough to vote. I salute you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yes, the dems may not take the senate, but you can't blame Colorado. We vote din a democratic senator, voted for the popular vote rule, voted against abortion limits and a few other liberalish things there.

      Delete
  11. Glad to see your move taking such great shape. The other day you spoke of buying a 2 quart crockpot so you could make single person meals. I didn't get my comment in then (could I have been distracted by all the political news? Nah....). I am planning on ordering a 3 qt Instant Pot when my Amazon cart shows a great price sometime in the next few weeks. Having a 6 qt IPot sometimes just seems too large for the two of us. This morning I looked up several and read the comments on Amazon, especially a question with 50 answers re "which size do you like best" and I am now convinced to pull the plug and work harder at preparing the Plant Based Meals while we are hunkering down here in Iowa with soaring Covid counts. Haven't seen the inside of a restaurant since March and no take out either. We are saving so much on not eating out I feel the $60+ are just sitting there waiting for me to swoop in for the purchase. And I think you might enjoy experimenting with all the modes of cooking since you are used to scratch cooking already :))
    Jeannine in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you are adjusting well. I just know because of your history that, in time, you will find many things to do in your new community as well as your reading and courses that you enjoy taking. You always amaze me with all that you do and how you stay active and enjoy life. I just finished a strange book called The Other Mrs. which you may like to read. It's a page turner and I read it in two days. A Netflix movie is supposed to be made of it. Also, my daughter has BPD and it is a hard mental illness to have or be a parent of. Take care. Always look forward to hearing what's going on with you. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent post!! I love what you said and totally agree. If nothing else, Trump will be gone and that's saying something. I think Biden/Harris will do a great job of bringing back democracy to this country.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!