Monday, October 26, 2020

Fall and Christmas, Covid Style

 Note:  That missive on my missing furniture is still in the works but I am waiting until after said delivery is complete to share fully with names, companies and dates (where ever I can), in an abundance of caution.

As I still wait for said furniture and goods, which in theory are supposed to arrive between Wednesday and Monday, I've been making some lists and working some plans, if you will. Since I am trying to keep the creative/amusement budget way down between now and January to accomodate for moving expenses, I made a huge list of things I can (mainly) do free and ow cost with things on hand to self entertain between now and then. 

Still, even though I am more than good at enertaining myself at home, I wanted to come up with as many fun fall and early winter (Christmas) things that I can do. Cause I am living alone and adjusting to it, and this is time of year that in my normal life would be filled with fall festivals, pumpkin events, happy hours, dinners, and you name it. And becuse llike everyone else, evenI have a bit of Covid fatigue.

By the time I move in, Halloween will probably be over and I'm not sure these active apartments even do anything for Halloween, so I'm just thinking fall, winter and the first of the year right now. 

Fun Stuff/Bucket List:

1. Make at least one new "cooking for one or two" slow cooker or casserole type fall recipe each week (baking for one or two also allowed).

2. Curbside some pumpkins from Joanne and decorate them in a fall theme.

3. Get and/or make the stuff I need to decorate new place for Christmas (new style, new size, new space)

4. Make at least two pumpkin recipes (pie does not count).

5. Take at least two short drives outside of Denton to explore the greater area and places I have not been.

6. Have two movie nights (so many upcoming movies being released on television) with popcorn, blanket,  and all the accessories, and make one of them a Christmas movie I have never seen.

7.  Start an advent wreath tradition every Sunday in December

8. Take an online course

9. Make one charity item for the holidays

10.  Do at least one zoom activity and preferrably two each week (paint and sip, "second half" high tea at church, quilt group, kntting group and so on).

11. Get forty five minutes of aerobic exercise at least four times a week and forty minutes of something else the other days (it has been impossible exercising with the move, and now living with dogs who want to dance under my feet)

And because into each life (especially a recently relocated life), some immediate chores must enter, here are my goals/to do list. An ever moving target:

1. Get a copy of my Colorado registration or Colorado title from afar (and before anyone asks, I literally have no idea what happened, I just cannot find either), as they are required to get a new Colorado registration.

2. Both restock my pantry with all the necessities and make a list of what kind of minimal "prepping" I feel the need to do with regard to economy and energy.

3. Make an immediate short term list of apartment needs (can opener, silver ware divider,  small side table, at least one or two sharp knives) and a longer needs wish list and share it.

4. Plan my Christmas gifts for the few people I gift (kids, sister, son-in-law, Brother and sister-in-law.) My normal default is a handmade gift, a big gift (like an air fryer for my daughter), and a couple smaller gifts and stockings for sister and kids, and for B and SIL a large handmade shared gift and two smaller ones. I may have to rethink that this year, but I do know my goal is some kind of hobby for everyone.

5. decide on my car insurance. My car is a 2009 and has 104,000 miles but I plan to take it much further. On the other hand the blue book trade in value is is the four thousand dollar range (and remember, I had the huge accdent and body work). So it may b etime to create  car account and move to liability only. How does one decide?

6. Join one or two weeky or monthly blogger events like paint party friday as a fun thing.

And there you have it.

Oh, and I spent my weekend going down the rabbit hold of blog side links like mine and exploring new bloggers (bookmarked but not yet visited). I hope to visit them all, as  well as commenting on all your blogs in the next couple days as I continue my down time!

29 comments:

  1. Having lives in the sam ehome for 30 years, I cannot imagine how much the change will be when we decide to move. thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope some of it is interesting or helpful to someone

      Delete
  2. Very thorough planning and a great way to keep ahead of the fun/work of moving in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, will I follOw through with the planning? That is the question

      Delete
  3. The drop in car insurance to liability was so tiny we stayed with full coverage. You may well find the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like my difference will be quite a bit, but we will see...

      Delete
  4. Your list of things to accomplish sounds interesting, fun, and a bit challenging too.

    Good luck with the delivery. I hope they show up sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogger event? Why don't I know about these?

    Can't wait to see your furniture arrive and in place. Looking forward to that story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps blog linkup is a better description? Lol

      Delete
  6. Very good list Barb. Getting settled in and doing some low/no cost fun activities will be wonderful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, settled being the operstive word, lol.

      Delete
  7. After I went to liability only, the company did not represent me when I was boadsided, went to ER, and my car was totaled. So, I had to find an attorney! I will never drive without full coverage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no belief whatsoever that they would do that for me now, I would always get a lawyer immediately. And I am blessed to say my health insurance would cover my needs.

      Delete
  8. Looks like you're beginning to settle in to your new life! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the list of options you have given yourself. I find myself in the covid doldrums and I need to find my way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing fairly well and am actually looking forward to living aline but I feel I need to be pe emotive on some issues to keep myself in my normal "up"

      Delete
  10. I love moving because I love all the changes that come with it, so I'm actually sitting here with a tiny bit of envy at the adventures that await you as you explore your new community.

    Re: your furniture delivery- just remember that tragedy + time = comedy. Maybe not right away, but eventually! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,Barb!
    I've been a silent reader of your blog since you lived in Texas earlier. I live on the east side of the metroplex, but I've heard of a great quilt shop near Denton called Box Car Quilts. I don't know if you are familiar with with it, but they do have a fb page with live presentations of some of their newer fabrics every week. There's one tonight at 7 pm. Thought you might enjoy it. Welcome back to Texas!
    ...Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know of boxcar. My favorie is actually quilt country in lewsiville, but I will check out that live presentation for sure! Thanks!

      Delete
  12. A lot of good things. But . . . pie should count!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mother moved across the country last month. Took her furniture over a month to arrive thru a moving company. She was told 7 to 14 days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Regarding your movie list, I could recommend "It Happened on Fifth Avenue" for your Christmas movie. It's an old b&w movie, but may be new to you? It's a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are the ULTIMATE planner! I made a pumpkin cobbler that was simple and delicious! Email me for recipe. (VERY rich so share!)


    I'm enjoying driving around just looking at the Fall colors. And trying to find more places that have drive through service (besides Starbucks and fast food)

    It's hard to believe that the time is HERE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That’s a pretty big list!! This time of year my list tends to be shorter but I need to make November very productive. Sewing has taken a backseat so it’s time to make it a top priority. I’m making Christmas aprons for my granddaughter and me so we can cook together in style. And I am finishing all of my cross stitch projects from this year so I can actually enjoy them. Never enough time for it all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list of things to do is much longer as I am making gifts, lol

      Delete
  17. You've accomplished your biggest goal which was a successful move to an apartment you chose. Enjoy that result without worrying about accomplishing everything on your list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!