Friday, September 2, 2022

Frugal, No Waste. Sustainable Friday?

 Today I was getting ready to write this trusty Frugal Friday post that I’ve been writing more on than off since I started blogging a decade and a half or so ago, being the so-called frugal retiree and all.

And I’ll be writing this one, and another one, and another one. But it’s come to me that much of what I write about in this area about what I am thinking and what I have done has as much to do with waste, sustainability, up cycling and use of time as well as money and things. Even as on some level I concentrate on the pennies-especially as inflation heads straight towards us, even in fairly low cost Texas.


Which is my way of saying bear with me if this normally bullet point post is more rambling and longer than usual as I maybe find a different voice when it comes to this topic and post.


No waste and also money saving: This week, I removed all the damaged parts from donated shirts, sweaters and jeans and then cut them into pieces of fabric sorted by size. While I was there,   I also went through my fabric and pulled all the unmatched fat quarters and small pieces of fabric (fat quarters, five inch squares, ten inch squares, just strips and pieces that were offcuts). I want to contribute a bunch of fabric pumpkins  with cork stems and flowers and Christmas ornaments to the church bazaar, (where the money all goes to the homeless) and this way no money will be spent by me plus I may get to make an abstract art quilt or two while I’m at it.


Money saving mainly: I’m eating down my single retiree  style small freezer and pantry to make room for a big fall shop in two weeks (which will definitely include the Pumpkin Butternut Squash Pasta sauce and the Pumpkin Cheesecake popcorn at Aldi!!!!!). I did get a few things to finish meals and add to that food creativity, like sour cream (Planning to experiment with making stroganoff with beef stew meat in my freezer. A review will be coming). Other than that no new money will be spent until the11th in the food and sustenance area.


Saving precious retirement time: Not wasting time (along with knowing myself) has led me to skip those previously mentioned silver sneakers classes so far. They are not free for me, and wasting a gym membership of thirty dollars monthly for a class I’ll probably not attend often is not logical. Nor is the expectation that I will be fed, alert and responsive, decent and up to intelligent conversation at that hour of the morning. I’m doing very well at exercise and weight training at home at least for now. And as far as talking with people, it’s not the best way, I think:


Money saving and environmental: We’ve finally gotten some cooler weather at night, so I have been opening windows as soon as I get up for an hour or two (I need silence to sleep). Definitely helps with the cooling  and the bill prior to the still 90 degree days, but also increases the humidity in the house.


Eliminating Waste and Streamlining: Most of the time I’m not a fan of the spend to save philosophy except for “investment” items. But organization saves everything in my world. So my Amazon birthday list (which I will purchase for myself post the day as needed), includes some specific items like pantry storage for cans, fridge and small freezer storage and a couple coffee table type rotating spinners and a rack for stacking pans, as the filing tray wasn’t working. On the other hand, my collection of topless small boxes and tupperware has been free and has worked wonderfully for sorting all the minutiae of crafting (buttons/pins/clips/snaps/). So I figure I’m even in this area. Losing things, rebuying things that I have, and having things spoil. None of these are frugal or sustainable.


Money Saving: I actually had no part in this spend/save! I recently found out that every year or lease renewal, this community pays for carpet cleaning. I missed knowing that last year. Not really a freebie because, well, I pay rent. But a six month regular expense that will now not be out of my pocket so I'll take it!!


Freeing up Retirement time: Although I haven’t talked about it in awhile, I still am working on my once a month shopping and big errand goals in all areas of life,  so no shopping or spending will happen in the next ten days although I am working on the lists of things I need to buy and order then. This is working well for me. But admittedly I don’t shop or run errands to get out of the house or meet people (I do have other things I do for that) or for exercise.


No spend and just plain fun: Everytime I thought of it in the past year, I did an email signup with a company I liked or used every so often (using a one off hotmail address). Most of those companies asked for my month and date of birth, and so I’m expecting some small “gift for me”during this birthday month starting today.  Including a surprise gift from Ulta/Sephora/Bare minerals/Aveda, an Arby Shake, a rootbeer float from A&W, free coffee/beverage from various places, free arrangement from Edible Arrangements, free Godiva chocolate gift, free Denny’s grand slam, free La Madeline pastry, free Panera, a free five dollar gift card from Ace (Plants!!), and more. Obviously there’s no way I will use or even pick up all of these in a month. But a goodie or two a week and I’ll be happy. And let me tell you, Godiva is high on my list!



13 comments:

  1. I need to start being more frugal. I can't believe what I sent at Trader's Joe's last week and I didn't even buy flowers or meat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, inflation is here. I do buy meat. But usually at loss leader prices unless I crave lamp or some such.

      Delete
  2. Be sure to add Red Robin, Krispy Kreme, Starbucks & Dunkin Donuts to the birthday freebie list. I've received a dozen KK original glazed donuts the past 2 years. They used to just offer 1 donut & a coffee. For Red Robin, you can order one of their gourmet burgers as your birthday freebie & their fries are bottomless. Don't count on Godiva though. They don't really offer anything free. I think it was some discount offer and you have to pay shipping. I love all the different ways you are trying to not waste. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I no longer have red Robin or KK near me or they would definitely be on my list!!

      Delete
  3. Any plans to move into your daughter's place as you talked about previously? Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on not shopping for a month. I'm not sure I could do that, as I'd run out of fresh fruit, veg, and dairy too quickly. I have cut down to once every 10-14 days and that has really helped the budget (at least most of the time). I also don't have more than the fridge freezer - it was my choice to get rid of it as it was nearly 40 years old and an energy sucker.
    Please do post photos of your pumpkins and crazy quilts. Both sound like a great project for the bits and bobs of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I will definitely need in between of fresh things like much chef salads for lunch and such. But I've mainly cut out milk and I dont eat yogurt so I can buy sour cream and butter and such monthly. And I do also use frizen veggies and now frozen berries ony pand oatmeal. So there will be some mid month shopping and I won't get there all atone every month.

      Delete
  5. What an interesting way to organize what you have been doing! I had a chuckle at your list of pumpkin items as I am a fan too. Happy birthday and hope you get lots of free treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on that part and one week may need to be frugal and the next week no waste..

      Delete
  6. I love all your money saving, reuse, recyle ideas. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good ideas about the exercise. Seems as though walking & doing your chair yoga might work just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished cutting up some old clothing items here as well. I find the fabric perfect for using in other crafts.

    I have made stroganoff using stew meat and it turned out wonderfully. I hope yours does as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At Senior Planet dot org, you can sign up for all kinds of exercise classes and "participate" with others to whatever level you like. The classes are Zoom classes. About 400-500 of us join the stretch and meditation classes that begin at 9:00 am CT on weekdays. I don't have a camera on my desktop, by choice, so I'm just a name to the others, but even I now recognize some of the regulars as we/they chat with the instructor before and after class. They're getting ready to begin a series on balance next week. All are free, although donations are welcomed. It's a great in between, blending the best of in-person and at-home-alone classes. I joined to encourage my husband to participate. He doesn't do them often, but I do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!