Monday, August 29, 2022

Monday musing: Food Creativity, Fear of Flying, Other This and That

 

Slowly pulling out the fall decor.....

The weather has changed over from the 112 “welcome to the sauna” temperature, to plain old summer in fall in Texas weather (High nineties during the day and going down to somewhere in the seventies at night). I think my electric bill will thank me, and some days it’s even cool and humid enough to open my window early on. I still have to get out and walk early though. I waited till 10 the other morning and it was far too late so I only walked half way.

Other thoughts this Monday....

I ran out of bread and bagels  and rolls on Thursday and eggs on Friday and was wayyy too lazy to go out to the store or even place an order for delivery. Which resulted in two glazed donuts both Sunday and Saturday that were pulled from the freezer, sloppy joes meat with a potato I baked and a few other fun things. Creativity can be messy including with food. I did make a quick trip to my favorite store (Aldi) fo get needed items and a chef salad today!

I’m considering flying to Denver for Thanksgiving, which would be my first flight (bar one) since I returned from Germany. It would be faster, I suppose. And not require a hotel. But I couldn’t bring anything there or back in terms of large gifts (read king size quilts and such here). And in my current state of claustrophobia and so on it would require valium at a minimum. Something I have never taken orally in my adult life (I’m sure I’ve had some in an IV prior to surgery at some point).

It would seem that I now have Osteopenia. I will probably write a post on this later. It would have gotten caught earlier I am sure, if it were not for the fact that I already have degenerative disease in one leg from hip socket to the toes and I already have pain that is similar to severe shin splints in my lower leg. For now, my provider wants me to take D3, Calcium, walk as much as the already bad leg will allow in a day with a goal of an hour (ha!!) and consider walking with ankle weights around the house sometimes because my walking will always be limited.

I’ve been working on the budget for the next quarter and looking at my expenses. Folks I don’t know about you, but the subscriptions, the subscriptions. Washington Post, New York Times, Netflix, Prime, Kindle Unlimited, one paid channel through Prime that varies (Acorn or Britbox or PBS Masterpiece or the German channel), Quicken, a couple local publications. There are probably some missing there, and the only one I can see letting go of is Quicken which I may and do it manually since I no longer have the issues I did. And on TOP of that, I’ll be subscribing to HULUlive so I can watch football and the World Cup, at least through January.  I tell you!

And last but surely not least, this morning, I have been fall sewing (for the church bazaar in October) which has led to the need for some fall decor (97 degrees or no). So I put sewing and knitting and so on aside and pulled just a few (non-Halloween and non-Thanksgiving) things out to start changing the seasons. I just need to get a halloween tree.


20 comments:

  1. Why not mail your quilts and other bulky items to Denver in advance of your trip? You can even mail your clothing and just take a small day bag for necessaries on the plane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it is VERY expensive to ship and to insure large handmade quilts. Accent on the very part, lol.

      Delete
    2. Also I have things of mine still in Colorado that need to come to Texas. Large and heavy things.

      Delete
    3. I recently mailed a quilt via UPS from AL to VT and the cheapest way was $68. The box weighed 8 lbs. Insanity!!

      Delete
    4. Yes it's just prohibitive.

      Delete
  2. I take lorazepam (the generic form of valium, I believe) when I fly, and it works wonders. You can't drive right afterwards, b/c the effects last too long, but there are no other side effects that I've ever noticed. Boy ... I hear ya' about the subscriptions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is good to know. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Lorazepam is the generic for Ativan. Diazepam is the generic for Valium.

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I didn't mean to be anonymous. Also sorry about the drug misinformation. But I hope you get the idea ... I'm not a doctor, but as long as it has "zepam" in it, it's good enough for me!

      Delete
    4. Yep. All info is still good. The anon thing happens sometimes.

      Delete
  3. The prices of everything is ridiculous. But seriously, subscriptions? Unless they are mailing things to you there shouldn't be any supply chain issues to deal with. Seems to me that many corporations/businesses are simply taking advantage of the time of inflation to increase their prices.
    The fall decor is pretty. I was thinking I'd start pulling things out in a week or so. Of course, our temperatures are cooling off much more quickly than yours. It was just 10C (50F) one recent morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of mine except Netflix has increased prices lately. I just have many of them.

      Delete
  4. Not in the mood to haul out fall decor and the fact is I hardly have any. I may break down and get a wreath for the door or perhaps make one and a few runners as well.

    I scared stiff of heights, but flying does not bother me at all for some odd reason.

    So right in order to mail something like a quilt would be very expensive.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I decorate for every season. Generic fall now and then I'll pull out halloween stuff first October

      Delete
  5. I was diagnosed with Osteopenia after a routine dexa bone scan. I think it would have been caught earlier if someone would have questioned why my arm shattered when I slipped on my kitchen floor (by someone I mean a medical professional). My doctor ( or should I say the receptionist who called with the news) wanted me to jump right into injections which seem to have a lot of side effects and create other challenges. I decided to just start taking calcium pills on my own since she did not seem inclined to make an appointment for me. I will be interested in hearing about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My clinician called and suggested a thousand of D3 and two thousand of calcium for now with no scrip. I'm trying to up the walking on land as well.

      Delete
  6. I too have bone loss in my hip and take 2000 IUs of D3 daily plus a calcium supplement. My hubby and I walk 3 miles at least 4 times a week which takes an hour exactly. I think ankle weights would be a good idea. I'm supposed to be doing weight bearing exercise. There also is a gym called Osteo Strong near me which is supposed to help increase bone density, but it costs $200 a month and it's not covered by insurance, sadly. I too hate to fly. I avoid it unless absolutely necessary. I miss out on things, but the physical and emotional stress is just too much for me to handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has come one late in life as for years whileiving overseas I flew to and from Germany with the occasional nerve and taking air sickness pills.

      Delete
  7. Your local public library probably has all of your newspaper subscriptions online. All you need is a library card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While my twoibraries offer many things that is not one. I have Kavas and creative bug and the great courses tho. I'm actually fine with my subscriptions, just observing they are alot.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!