Thursday, February 18, 2021

Still Standing

From my daughter's Instagram


So here we are on update two of the storm of the decade on the frozen Texas tundra.

While I won't share everything that happened in the last few days (we don't have that much time between us), I will say that from about five minutes after my last post on Monday morning  until five last evening I have been on a one hour on and one hour off or forty five minutes on and off power rotation here  (I have electric heat). Let me say here that I have been much much much luckier than others, 

People in the south of the state who are not used even to Dallas area  weather variations are in worse shape. While Dallas may not have snowfall or blizzards except as a ten year or so event it does have year around weather and some basic heating needs and preparation standards.  Folks down by San Antonio and the Hill Country and further south are very much not prepared for freezing weather from a home or a community support standpoint. The arctic freeze has had burning possessions just to keep their kids warm. It's tragic.

When the temperatures were zero and negative temperatures the house was lucky to be at about sixty four or so immediately AFTER the heat had done it's job, and would of course go much during the hour off. When warmed to twenties it was something a bit higher (yes, I know some of you keep your homes at various places in the sixties but NOT ME. Not even when I lived in the cold  cold north that is Connecticut). 


Soup on top of blanket on top of tray on top of other layers

Which means that for at least  two and a half days (closer to three) you need to imagine me as one of grandparents in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. My bed was my home with all the blankets and in bed entertainment piled up,  and then I popped out after the heat would come on. I would try to walk around the house a bit, cook fast if I needed to, make sure everything was charging and if I had time check email and all that, before going back to knitting or reading or whatever in bed and starting all over-or not.  I even got in a couple warm showers. Before our current problem that is. And yes, you can make homemade vegetable and meatball soup in forty five minutes! While standing in three layers and still freezing. 


My daily goal includes going outside for some time every day. Goal met on at least one of those minus zero days. I won't answer for the rest.

The house slowly is warming, so onto problem two.  Most households in Texas all the way down to Mexico have been dripping every indoor faucet since Saturday night to avoid pipe freezes.  Leading to-wait for it- low water levels. So we are now on a boil order for cooking, dishwashing, teeth brushing and such. I'm actually washing my hands with soap and water and then sanitizing. Because I only have small pots and pans and storage, for now since it's just me I'm loading the dishes in the dishwasher and using paper plates on the theory that by Sunday maybe I can just run the darned thing, or if not wash them all. Meanwhile I'll wash things as they run out. I'm not sure I have faith in the sanitizing ability of this dishwasher and have no liquid bleach right now.

I'm low to no cooking and mainly zapping since I have a ham to slice, mac and cheese and homemade soups to zapp-along with fruit and salad which seem to have survived the fridge off and on abuse okay. The freezer seems solid and the only things I have questions about in the fridge are the quiche and maybe a couple condiments. I am trying to continue conserving, but keeping my heat above 65. Zapping and toaster oven only, charging electronics and moving to the bedroom early in the evening. No big appliances, slow cooking, washing, drying. I may end up having to take a real shower.

Since we are in the land of no snow plows and limited shovels, I probably will not get out today, more like tomorrow, much as I could use some bottled water and other things. I comfort myself with the 72 degree prediction a week from now and warm weather this weekend. Which is, after all, one of the reasons I moved to Texas, damn it!

Which of course is why so much of this has happened. Don't get me wrong, there are going to be all kinds of discussions when this is over. About the free market grid (that is also a non profit) that did not have some of the backups the feds require. About the fact that the nuclear power station in south Texas failed to winterize it's facilities as did the people who own and manage the wind turbines and the other energy backups. About Ted fucking Cruz going to Mexico with his family in the middle of this mess.

But. But. Much of the above is because Texas doesn't do blizzards. We don't have Arctic conditions in the Gulf of Mexico. Or at least we didn't before rapidly increasing climate change (I get to say we because I lived here before).  Texas does some temperate weather up north, and then hot (be it dry or humid down south). Many of us don't own snow shovels (see pictures) or plows unless we live far east or in the Panhandle. We have pools that can be used year around down south, our homes are often pier and beam (off the ground construction) and are made for being comfortable in the heat (not insulation from the cold, and the two are treated differently). Texans don't for example, winterize sprinklers and cover outside spiggots. The last blizzard was in 2011 during the superbowl and everything came to a standstill.

Obviously things need to change but the question is how much. Should the electric companies and energy sources be winterized? Sure, of course.  Should the city buy ten snow plows that will then be maintained for five to ten years to be used for 48 hours with taxpayer money?  Who knows. Should I have enough food for a week at all times (Including water which I did not unless you consider sparkling as water?), probably. Does my daughter need  shovel and a generator or a wood stove? Doubtful (but then again she has a husband and three dogs for warmth).

All I can say is that I have warn and abused some sweaters (through infinite layering), sweats and leggings more than I ever planned in the last four days (I may have to budget some replacements), I'll be more than ready to get out of the house anyway I can by tomorrow even if it's on the patio. I hope I will be able to get at least minimal groceries delivered by Sunday.

And that darned second poke is now probably a week and a half away ........sigh.

Also I am now alert, responsive and partially warm enough to respond to your comments which I've mainly ignored this lousy week!

31 comments:

  1. Goodness, living like that is hard even when you're used to it, but I can't imagine how difficult it has been (and continues to be) for so many in Texas. You seem to know exactly what you're doing but stay safe (and warm)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am. Going out tomorrow briefly and by the weekend we should be normal here. Down south not so much

      Delete
  2. Gotta say - this all scares me into reinforcing our choice to stay in the Northeast after retirement. It may be cold here with snow and ice every year, but at least we’re conditioned and prepared to handle it.

    Stay warm and safe!

    Sassybear
    Www.Idleeyesandadormy.Com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think we will be too. But all the other years without snow and ice make up in full from my perspective.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry, Barb, and you are coming ifg as sensible and a trooper. You're all in my tbiughts and prayers even the ones who voted for Cruz and Abott.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The Cruz folks may be especially unhappy today.

      Delete
  4. Have you thought about or tried the tea light candles under a terra cotta flower pot? Supposed to heat a small room, Other than what you have already been doing I really don't know what else could be done.
    Ted Cruz is an unfeeling jerk. I have other names for him but will resist.
    Stay well and be very careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't because it's done and over. I will probably consider more candles in the future for the rare thunderstorm or tornado without power which is a more normal worry here. But yes. I will look at that and some easy to adopt emergency ideas.

      Delete
  5. You guys are sure making the national news including Ted F Cruz. And Beto O'Rourke for his good deeds during the crisis.

    Stay safe and warm! hopefully, a warm up will come soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel for all who are really not used to that type of weather. Candles do give off some small amount of heat for the next time this happens.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie over half of the people here moved from the northern parts of the US. So.its not so much the being used to the cold ss it is cold requires special infrastructure and we don't have it here.

      Delete
  7. Your daughter's Instagram reminded me of the snow shovel which resided in my car trunk when I lived in the midwest. The habit was so ingrained that I lived in southern California for four years before finally getting rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have described very well the serious problem you're living through. I hope everything goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes, your first hand account really brings home the misery we have been hearing about.
    Can only imagine the misery of those in Texas totally without power and water still. Sure hope you are back to normal soon and those totally without get relief.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know how I missed the first post but I'm glad to hear that you weathered the cold reasonably well. Hopefully those responsible for these things will learn from this event and plan ahead, winterizing the equipment needed to keep the power on.

    I heard this morning on the radio that at least 56 people died as a result of this weather. That is so very sad and unfortunate. As for Ted Cruz...well, he's just an a-hole!

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We live in a similar situation to yours and have nothing for cold snowy conditions (which generally turns to ice roads here) It only takes a couple of days for things to turn really sour here. I felt very fortunate we missed everything this time and only got a couple of inches of snow that melted by 2 pm.
    I hope when it warms things can return to normal relatively quickly. I am guessing that the frozen and burst pipes are going to affect the water supply/distribution for a bit though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea it's still a water emergency. I have not filled my tub though I may just for flushung.

      Delete
  12. So glad you made it thru alright. It sounds like a disaster.I do hope the water situation gets resolved soon. How did your daughter and SIL do??? take care:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did okay. They have a fireplace. But after day one they couldn't find wood. This was my daughter's birthday weekend and they had their overnight canceled obviously. Like me they were sn hour on and an hour off for four days. They do not have a boil order so things a little easier for them now.

      Delete
  13. I remember the first time I went to Dallas. It was Christmas 1991 or '92. We left Newark airport when the temperature was in the 60s. We got to Dallas and it was in the 30s. A week later we left Dallas. It was snowing and the plane had to be de-iced! We got back to Newark, and it was in the 50s. So it can happen ... but it sounds like you all got it really bad, so I hope everyone is okay and recovers without too much damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no doubt it can happen
      Just every ten years or so.thankfully.

      Delete
  14. So sorry to hear that all you've been through, Barb. And glad to hear that you have coped well with all that was thrown at you anyways. An emergency kit is a good idea and one I should be thinking about too, as we are periodically warned here on the Island to have one at hand. Your post is a reminder of just how little it takes for everything to fall apart, and that we can't trust the powers to be to be prepared for all eventualities or even to navigate us out of an emergency situation!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's not like I can have a wood stove in my apartment but I will be inventorying possibilities a bit after this.

      Delete
  15. So glad to hear not only HOW you're doing, but WHAT you're doing. It helps. (Btw, I would gently suggest that you cut Ted Cruz some slack. There's little doubt in my mind that his family had those tickets to Cancun long before this crisis came up...because that's how you generally plan for a winter vacation. He shouldn't have gone with them -- and he admitted that. But at least he turned around and came back...and apologized. That took some courage. I haven't heard any apologies out of Nancy Pelosi's mouth for breaking rules she'd help set up!)
    This sounds silly -- but have you tried watching tropical movies on TV? Or series like Magnum P.I., set in Hawaii? It always makes me feel a bit warmer... hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy. Actually, no. His family bought them this week to get away. The decided AFTER the outtage that they deserved to go to Cancun. Sorry, tone deaf and elitist. Nothing gentle about it.That's been proven. And that they invited others with them. The man gets no breaks from me. Edpecially when everyone from Betto to AOC is raising money . Huge amounts of money. At least that idiot Abbot is trying to do something for the future

      Delete
  16. My oldest son, on the way home from work, slid off the road in the ice storm of North Alabama. He had good company, a doctor, who was on his way to being called into work, and another person coming home from work. Three vehicles together in the same place but luckily they did not hit each other. The Decatur Alabama PD called a tow for all of them. So, they were towed to the parking lot but he could not make it up the hill to get home. Finally, about 1 a.m in the morning good angel folks took him home. I am in the southern part of the state and I was so frantic when he called me and there was nothing I could do. So, yeah I feel you on the bad weather thing, and no, no one has a snow plow/blower, etc.. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  17. P.S. Ted Cruz gets on my nerves. I just thought that was not a wise thing to do in the middle of an ice storm and a pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What crazy times we live in Barb!

    I'm so glad you're pulling through and hopefully things will be upgraded to prevent this from ever happening again. Almost like the perfect storm, we have a pandemic and climate change coinciding at the same time. Then, of course, the political stuff just adds another layer to it. Stay safe and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry for all you're going through but glad you didn't suffer quite as much as some Texans did. I've heard that El Paso was really lucky and didn't suffer as much as other Texans did. My daughter in Illinois had 29" of snow in a 48 hour period with horrible cold. Now they have leaks from ice damming. What a winter this has been!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!