Monday, February 15, 2021

Monday Musings - Deep Freeze Edition

I come to you this morning from the land of the Deep Freeze. For the past 36 hours nothing has moved not even a Lyft, Uber, food delivery car or medical taxi. There are rolling blackouts since the grid is overwhelmed although I have not had one yet. My daughter's kitchen pipes are frozen and Biden and the governor have declared a state of emergency. I laughingly told my daughter yesterday that you can tell that it's a real weather emergency because I ordered a two day Amazon prime option item and it will be delivered on Friday.

For all those living in the north for whom this is normal, the infrastructure is simply not in place since this is once every ten year event (our annual snowfall is much less than one inch). If I say that all of Dallas has ten snow plows/ice trucks combined I might be exaggerating for all I know. Houston and Austin have none. We don't have basements so our furnaces and water heaters are more exposed. We don't winterize and turn off sprinklers and all that good stuff and the power grid is used to having rolling blackouts for extreme heat events but this is a different thing. There are all kinds of people in Dallas who own nothing warmer than a light jacket and have no boots.  I am using all of my Colorado skills but still....What would be normal in Colorado or Michigan or Connecticut is deadly here as evidenced by the huge car accidents in Texas and Oklahoma. They even opened up the Civic center a a heating station-and not just for the homeless.

I have all the blankets piled on my bed in case my power goes out, prepared to sit and knit or whatever. All the faucets are at a fast drip/slow stream with the cabinets in front of the pipes open. And I'm trying to decide if with even the possibility of loss of power I should be planning on making soup in the slow cooker or just aim for eggs and canned goods for the day. I comfort myself with the knowledge of sixty degrees by the end of the week, and back to the norm until the Easter chill. I would make a joke about how I should have moved further south except that my friend who lives near San Antonio is having the same weather and Houston is pretty close. I think the Floridians, southern Californians and southern Arizona folks are the only ones managing to skip this one. Every single county in Texas all the way down to Mexido is under a deep freeze winter storm warning.

And on top of it all I expect this could move my second jab in the arm back to next week.

In other news around the Casa, Saturday my daughter came by. To put my TV together, to bring me lunch,and to (in her own words) make sure I wasn't going to turn into a "momsicle" this weekend. Unfortunately my minimal tools were not helpful to her. She is tentatively planning on coming out into the world this afternoon with their drill!  Hopefully we will have better luck.

I got my lab work back and was shocked, shocked I say to see that my A1C (diabetic) blood test had gone down, in spite of my eating habits during the holiday season. Whatever I'm doing I'm doing okay. And my cholesterol is at 137. So overweight and not in the best shape (understatement), I'm still happy over all. Now I just need to get those pesky annual tests done. And back to some kind of swim exercise class post shot recovery (assumng they ever re-open the rec center and or swim club. I may have to wait a month or so for my community pool).

I'm running out of the yarn for both my royal blue cardigan and my pink summer top and am also waiting on some quilt requirements for finishing. Slow shipping will be even slower this week,  so I plan to pull out cotton yarn and begin knitting dish cloths and towels. I have a goal of replacing everything disposable (except the obvious for now) that I can with cloth/knit items one at a time,  and want to get enough towels made that I can eliminate the paper towels except for human and canine bodily fluids. I'm gonna color code (and mainly shape) them differently so that I easily know which ones are for cleaning/wiping things and which ones are for drying of hands and dishes and such.

Also sketching out three new modern quilts with the few pencils on hand (my amazon order coming Friday is set of a hundred oil based colored pencils and graph paper)

Wednesday is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. In the normal times I would be cutting down both my social media and blogging by a drastic amount. These days any socialization I get is online or Zoom so I'm making some other changes that I'll share later. Tomorrow is normally pancakes, so I am having pancakes at home, and Wednesdays would normally be soup and bread dinners at the church with a program, so again, I'll do my own thing before our weekly zoom (that'll mean I now have three, count em three zooms-all on Wednesday but I am not complaining.

On the reading and watching front, I'm now watching the Nordic Murders, and have started a thriller that is more my style called The Cipher.

It may be time for me to change from my cold sparking water and heat up the kettle for tea and hot chocolate. And remind me to tell you how I can make smores in the oven.......And yes, I am going to start that slow cooker


   

20 comments:

  1. Winter preparedness and infrastructure does make a big difference with these storms and cold. Stay safe.

    I am also using the shape code for my reusable paper products. I previously used a color code with microfiber clothes but those are mostly worn out now, and it's not like I don't have the time to make new ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I have the time and I can make em to match the kitchen
      The only ones having fun round here are a couple of the big dogs

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, it sounds terribly cold there in Teas. I hope you don't lose power and can stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coming and going. An hour here and an hour there so far.

      Delete
  4. Reminds me of what happened with the infrequent snow and ice storms when we lived in Atlanta. Very little of the appropriate road equipment or planning and the stores quickly ran out of fresh food as the trucks couldn't get through. Stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had on four layers and two blankets during our last outtage..

      Delete
  5. My Dad sent me photos from Longview, TX, where he lives, showing snow level at one foot in an area that never gets more than an inch. He's stocked with both food and firewood, and looks to be just outside of the area of rolling outages. He's amazed, having lived there 15 years now with nothing remotely like this ever having occurred.

    Take care, Barb, and happy to see Texas should be out of the frozen tundra by the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Na. The last time this happened was when Dallas hosted the superbowl. Kinda ruined expectations. No fireplace here but so far the outtages are OK and Katie has one if I need to go there.

      Delete
  6. You're living on the edge here where you don't have your place winterized. When it comes to your snow removal equipment it's hard to win. Keep warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is no snow removal lol. No basements. Homes built for warm temos not cold.Life is an adventure. Nevrr mind the fact that I'm listening to every single tap drip...

      Delete
  7. Stay as warm as possible and enjoy the fact that there is a quick end in sight.
    We in Alabama have the same snow equipment__none. Fortunately my section of the state is only supposed to have a deep freeze, but none of the white stuff is expected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though we are used to winterizing when we have a cold snap that lasts longer than 3 days things can still go wrong.

    We have been very lucky not to have a power outage as we are breaking usage records left and right.

    You sound like you are well prepared.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Jackie. As a Pennsylvanian, I am sympathetic to the ways our homes are built, etc. But still...we get into below zero temps for extended periods, which is very tough to deal with. My sister laughed the other day when she changed clothes at the end of the day - she had on so many layers that her clothing pile was like a foot high! We are all totally bundled up all winter long.

      Delete
  9. I grew up on farms in Illinois, then Minnesota. We knew what cold conditions meant--esp for our animals. But nothing prepares a person for this brutal, widespread cold snap and snow dump! The only positive thing is I figure it will help ease the Covid spread. Trying to look for the good...

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I heard about the snow storm hitting Texas I had to look up some pictures. Heck it's a mess out there isn't it. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been watching this on TV. This is once in a lifetime cold for you all. I'm so sorry. Try to keep warm! I pray this is over soon for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even here in central Iowa we are being told to lower our thermostats to reduce natural gas usage although our Mid-American Gas Co isn't needing any outages. -17 last night but up to 5 degrees now and only -7 expected tonight.

    My real reason for commenting is to let you know how much we are enjoying New Tricks on Amazon Prime. 12 seasons of British Detectives that showed up recently, as in "teaching Old Dogs New Tricks" where 3 retired former detectives plus their younger supervisor are tasked with solving 20+ year old unsolved cases. It's a HOOT!! Great acting, sly jokes in the dialogue, and the characters begin to feel like "family" albeit it weird family. We find it addictive and I think you would enjoy it. A great way to spend the storm all bundled up and warm in your easy chair.
    Jeannine in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen pics of the huge accident pileups in Texas and read that your power grid is down. Stay safe & warm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Barb, just checking back in to see how you are doing, and hoping hard you did not lose power this week. Mybdad had the foresight to turn off his water system at the main last weekend, and still has power, but I'm checking in with him multiple times a day. His neighbors, who didn't turn off their water, had multiple pipe bursts occur as a result of the freeze.

    My thoughts with Texas right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!