Thursday, August 20, 2020

Thrifty Thursday and Other Odds and Ends



We've been mainly hermetically sealed in this house for awhile. Not because of the heat (I tend to leave screen doors at least partially open for fresh air and cross breeze and run the air conditioner), but rather because of the fires. The air quality has been really awful and my son grabbed this picture of the red sun above amidst all the haze. Today was breezy and tolerable though, so I managed to get outside with my knitting. After putting it aside for awhile I"m back to an hour or so a day. Eagle eyed knitting pals will see that I enlarged my needle size mid stream. Hopefully it all works out! I tend to be a very tight knitter.  




Guys,  some readers seem to think that I am a busy bee, especially in the past during my meetup queen social butterfly phase. The truth is, I am not productive as such. I think productivity is highly overrated much of the time (especailly in retirement). I was a gal who stayed at home even when my kids were no longer small and were completely independent because I didn't want to "work" (and yes, I realize I was blessed to have a husband who loved his job and afforded me that leisure). I mean I've worked not even ten years since leaving the army in 1980. And most of that was dong crafts with kids!!

That old timey quiilt? It took  me a year to finish. Lots of fellow bloggers who are knitters would have that blue and yellow shawl finished yesterday. It is true that when I really get into something, I go with the flow. And that flow can last for awhile. But that flow can just as easily be finishing a book in a day in my chair or binge-ing a Nordic Noir in the middle of the day. I read daily, during the day. I watch TV daily, during the day.  I generally spend an hour outside in all but the coldest weather on my swing,  often just sitting and day dreaming.

 I am not an energetic housekeeper or cook although I love those who are and eat the food of those who are. I exercise because I need to for my health, not because I feel the need to feel the proverbial burn. Mainly I putter, and sometimes that puttering leads to productivity and sometimes not. Either way it almost never, ever leads to boredom. Heck, even when I was the retiree meetup group's social queen, at least eighty percent of my time was spent sitting and eating and drinking and talking or watching a movie and eating and drinking (and not talking).

It's fitting/interesting that for the moment I live with someone who is the opposite. A new retiree who needs to fill her days with productive things from morning till night other than taking a mid day walk and spending five or ten minutes here and there on a difficult puzzle. She does not read or watch TV until she is "unwinding" in the evening.  Will she change? I dunno. I suspect so. It's a learning experience.

All of which leads me to that first Thursday Thing:

1.  Christmas has, thankfully, changed in the past few years.  The side of the famly with sixteen people has finally decided we'll each give to the charities of our choice and then share it in family emails.  That leaves my dear brother and sister in law and nephew, my sister, my son, and my daughter and son in law.  Also my sister in law's brother and mom, and in the normal times probably three group exchanges (church small group, knitting, retirees). Others get token gifts here and there. 

This year, not only will my money be limited after the thousands spent in moving but I'm going to have a severe time crunch as well with packing and moving and unpacking. Accepting reality and my available productive time and money, I'm changing plans. I still look forward to making those blankets (all of which would require new yarn to the tune of at least sixty dollars) starting after the first of the year, and gifting them at birthdays and holidays. Any big knitting (and sewing/quilting) will be done in the directon of daughter, son, and son in law. The relatives here will receive small handmade items made from stuff on hand or food gifts using jars I have on hand. Things I can do before I leave. 


But in Christmas colors I expect

So THAT'S why I save all those extra cool jars when I'm finished with em. Mine won't exactly match but that's creativity for ya.
2.  Once again, we have a fridge full of interesting, creative food. My sister planned a huge lasagna and thought she pulled out pasta sauce from the freezer. Instead, it was diced Tri-tips cooked in something with wine or whatever, so the lasagna turned into really good beef with flat noodes and there is much left. Also still some leftover chicken from my son's fifty dollar debacle (although I am unashamed to say that the biscuits are all gone) and last night we had flat irons of all different sizes and thickness. Add those things to the various sides and the leftovers for the next couple days will be interesting-and require no other food being made (at the beginning of the pandemic I was using a private delivery guy and I would just say 'get me some meat or the freezer". His choices were always good but he almost never found larger packs so we would end up with differing packs that were small and uneven).

3. I used YouTube to learn how to do a specific stitch instead of gettng the book I had planned. Each time I log on it tries to get me to join the paid people, but not this day. I also learned how to draw a perfect equilateral triangle pattern to use as a template without using a protactor. Laugh you will, but I am the only person in my family without a math brain and did not want to spend the money for  a triangle quilting ruler that cost twenty bucks.

4. I've decided that in Texas I will only have the Amazon Firestick. No antenna, no cable. I'm sure this means that eventually I'll need to upgrade to either the expensive Hulu or Sling, since I want to watch news and all the sports there are whenever all the sports there are reappear. For now I'm just getting internet, no land line, and as I experiment after the first of the year, we'll see if the subscriptions are still cheaper than cable or not. It'll be another of those learning experiences.

5. In between my spurts of produtivity and laziness, I've been taking advantage of some mainly no effort money earning. I signed up for some free trials that offered rewards through a cash rewards site, threw my tablet on my lap and did some suveys (almost all political or Covid related) while watching the Premier Cup games, and other things. The end of which is that as of today for August I have forty five dollars in paypal cash, sixty dollars in Walmart gift cards and forty five dollars in Amazon gift cards.  Today I joined Sam's club (which I was going to do anyway to try it) for forty five dollars, got a forty five dollar gift card to use at Sam's and twenty dollars. I'll take it.  




On the more questonable side, the gal who sold me my Fitfort tracker on Amazon now wants to give me a different item (a digital food thermometer), give me the cost in Paypal funds and in exchange I would write a totally "honest" review. On this one, I think I'll pass!

Assuming the air quality works for me tomorrow, I'm gonna take that first longer drive and get a rootbeer float.  Because I need that road mojo.  And root beer!


21 comments:

  1. I like the description of your activities and your interest or lack of interest. At least you are honest. The time in the swing seems like meditation to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think but im generally watching the dog, looking for evil rabbits, listening to the small morning noises of the neighbors like watering.

      Delete
  2. A wonderful word - putter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. too many, my family would say. They lead to attention span isdues.

      Delete
  4. Terrible smoke, beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first retired I, like your room mate, felt like I needed to be 'productive every day. Like you said, with experience we learn and now I often have 'very productive self care days'. Works for me - no apologies, no guilt - I am productively taking care of myself with me feet up and crocheting. :). Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that phrase self care days. I have lots of those!

      Delete
  6. My sister recently "retired" because Covid has caused her office to close permanently. She seems to think she has to get every single thing done right now, and is not allowing herself time to do some things she thinks would be fun. I am pretty sure if she lived in earlier times she would carry a whip with barbs to self flagellate just in case she found herself enjoying anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. honestly. And part of it is that she loves the yard and since we are in extreme drought she's hand watering everything not grass twice a day. I do have hope it will settle down in the fall and winter, but before Covid she always said that she would have to need to leave the house daily to stay sane in retirement. I miss my peeps and a few stores. But having to leave the house daily? Nope.

      Delete
  7. I'm like you, I putter and some days I get lots done, other days not so much. I do have a calendar to remind me of certain tasks mostly because they're ones I don't enjoy doing (cleaning bathrooms, cleaning cat litter).

    I do a lot of what I do enjoy but I don't beat myself about the days when I spend most of my time in front of the television and/or on the computer.

    Oh, can 2020 bring any more disaster to the world. I read this morning, that five people have died as a direct result of the fires. So very sad!

    Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. We are safe to be outside again today. But extreme drought has brought extreme fires.

      Delete
  8. Took me a couple of years to get OUT of the “productivity” mindset! Now, I have many interests and pursue them at my discretion.When I want to paint I paint.When I want to listen to music,if I listen to music.If I am up to cook a gourmet meal, I take all afternoon and do it. If I want to read half of my new novel in the afternoon,I may pour a glass of wine and sit down and just enjoy! Ahhh—once you get the hang of it,retirement, the freedom is pretty exhilarating. That said,I am no social butterfly, in fact, I HAVE TO HAVE days OFF to myself with no one I have to talk to or interact with (except a puttering around husband..)— but I did count of those volunteer and social activities I had on my calendar . I miss my card playing group and my weekly art group. I was also just beginning to volunteer with a kitty rescue.. no more. I usually had a lunch coffee date or happy hour once a week with a friend somewhere along the line..and those social interactions are gone or relegated to ZOOM now.So, I am hurting a bit.. but staying mostly content.Exercise is essential for me to keep up my mood.Bike riding especially brings me into a happy place,so I do it at 6 or 7 AM here in the desert, before the broiling heat. I feel like I am entering “ROUND TWO” of Covid times..stronger, more resilient.. I am hopeful we will eventually get out of this covid hole we are in.. even a new president isn’t possible till January—seems like a long time.. but, endure we must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss v my knitting gals, my weekly church gals and lunch dates as well as book group.

      Delete
  9. We worked all our lives to get to this retirement phase. It's interesting how we all went through the "be busy every day" at first. Now I can't even multi task!

    I was lucky enough to have a hubby who did NOT want me to work! He was a very busy leader of 200+ employees all over the world and wanted me to be able to entertain spouses who came to Portland. And host many gatherings at home. Probably a lot more work for me but I sure did enjoy it! Especially when the company was in a position to pay for all the food, alcohol and supplies.

    Now it's a commitment to get up and make my own meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i never did cook, so I am looking forward to cooking less times and freezing, daughters leftovers snd so on.....

      Delete
  10. It used to be that when I worked I got all my household tasks more or less done on Saturday. Now I spread them out over the week.

    I knit while I watch TV and read for an hour or so before turning off the light.

    I have found that I do need to take a morning walk every day, but that is more to stretch muscles that have tightened up overnight.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This made me feel better about myself. I let my unproductive days bother me and do question why. I am retired after all. I think some of it is because I do the “have to” stuff before the fun stuff and that’s where I want to be more productive. I do cross stitch every night which has almost become my favorite time of the day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!