Friday, June 12, 2020

Financial Friday-Spending in the Time of Covid (and Asking The Readers)!

Obligatory dog picture for this week. Said dog literally jumped into the swing next to me and tried to put his paws around my neck because neighbor's smoke alarm chirped and we could hear it through the screen. Pouting because my lap is generally of limits for fifty pound dogs when outside
ETA: The ask the readers thing is interesting as I was expecting more rock and motown suggestions by far. Keep those suggestions coming.
I'm not sure these days a traditional Frugal Friday post applies as such, hence the change in title for now?  In other words, thoughts on spending, not spending, and saving this week in retirement:



1.  Surprisingly, the good news is that the food spending is wayyy down. I'm sure some of this because we are are using items from the freezer in order to make room for future sale meats as shortages and high prices arrive. As well as considering what kind of pantry we need if any, that is greater than what we have.  Still, this morning I paid a whole $76, and a portion of that was different kinds of flavored sparkling water (including dark cherry and pomegranate) and diet root beer so I can have a diet root beer float. I did splurge since it was Doughnut week last week, and have a dozen Krispy Kreme delivered to the door Sunday morning!!


Dinners this week have included Italian beef sandwiches ( a chuck roast with two of those Good Seasons Italian dressing packets and a coke or  root beer poured over and slow cooked forever). The Totinos Party Pizzas that were accidentally delivered to us with salad and fruit (they had to be eaten some time). Lasagna, garlic bread and salad. Oven baked prepared and marinated ribs from Trader Joe's with side salads. Maple mustard chicken thighs (mustard, maple syrup, rosemary and other seasonings mixed and then brushed on bone in chicken thighs before baking). We'll have plenty of leftovers this week!


2.  I am still spending a moderate amount over all for things that self entertain/comfort/amuse at home.  Ideally I'd like to lower this a bit and concentrate on using up things I have. But there are no entertainment, travel, or gas expenses happening, so for now I'm comfortable in this area as I'm going nowhere any time soon and these small home comforts/home entertainment purchases help keep me sane and grounded. This week those purchases included some fabric, the hand dyed yarn previously shown,  and an umbrella stand for the patio ( I bought the umbrella a while back and the stand we had was not holding it in place securely, too big a hole). Spending for the enforced staycation of you will. With the price of that yarn, some of these things will definitely end up being gifts, early or otherwise, but that's okay. Quality materials and all that.  


3. Obviously spending on what would normally be considered "entertainment" remains almost nil. I have absolutely no intention of going to a sit down restaurant or bar any time in the near future. Movies are not open where I live, I don't think we have a summer outdoor concert schedule of any kind (except for the type below which are free), and overnight trips are out of the question although I may hit a day trip or two. So my entertainment costs remain nothing more than my streaming type subscriptions for now, although I am looking forward to a streaming Canvas and Cocktails thing soon.  



 4. I have a post coming next week on volunteering in the time of Covid. Meanwhile, while I don't have a great deal of cash to throw in this area as I would like ( I do contribute to my church which contributes to many organizations), I have allocated a small amount to budget locally for charity, social justice type spending. In the normal times, there would be things I would go to and participate in. Between creaky knees and Covid, I'm not up to marching, demonstrating, participating in open activities or even going to my 'drinking liberally" Meetup. So I am donating to the NAACP legal defense fund. I'd also like to send some money to local independent businesses as they open and I feel comfortable.

5.  I continue to add the dribs and drabs to my Texas account. Between Texas spiking cases and the whole United States expecting large fall increases the logistic and timing of my move could be completel different than I imagine, ya know? I the normal times I'd make multiple trips to Texas (staying in hotel) with a car full each time of stuff to go into strorage and visit this place multiple times. Now I can see myself moving south with a single car load and leaving my poor son and sister to load everything into a pod and sent it down depending on pandemic stuff. The good news is that there are not alot of up front fees to this place and while I will need furniture fairly immediately,  once I have a bed, a sofa and some kind of table and chairs the rest can be purchased at my leisure

And so it goes.  Now, for the ask the readers portion of the post.  It's all about the music, people. When I drive (usually alone) I go through multiple dead music zones as well as a couple where there ar only Latin and serious country music. For that and other reasons I'm taking advantage of my Amazon Prime free music account in order to make various playlists-for traveling, knitting, relaxing and anything else. Right now, I have a Classic Rock list, a Rock and Roll list, A soft songs list (which includes soft rock and Frank Sinatra and so on),  a Classical (shorter pieces) list, and an R and B/Motown list.

 So I need your songs people. The more esoteric the better (my way of saying I obviously have the Beatles, ya know?) The hard rockier, the harder bluesier, the rappier, the funkier the folksier, the bluegrassier better. I'm looking to go beyond what you would hear on the radio on a regular basis.


List as many as you want as often as you want. Heck, just list a performer if you want, if it's someone you think I've never heard of. It can be any kind of music (seriously people, I know all the words to Gangsta's Paradise!!) and I expect good music to have the occasional offensive word or implication

Just leave out the country for now, except for maybe the Drive by Truckers. (with no offense to anyone).  And Rush, leave out Rush, please.

26 comments:

  1. Moving is a challenge any time but especially with Covid19. My niece is moving up from LA and moving into a house shared by 5 people. She's 27 and feels perfectly fine about it!

    Can you pull a small U-Haul? The roomies can help you load it and your Texas loves can help you unload!

    I'm following along from the sidelines! You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. two soundtracks - PS I Love You & Boys on the Side
    Steve Earle's album - Copperhead Road
    Brandi Carlile's album - By The Way, I Forgive You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Earle, definitely, thanks! I'll need to give the others a listen

      Delete
  3. How about some Neil Diamond or Barbara Streisand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors of those quilting quarters up above. It's so hard to resist buying them when you see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand and would add Bette Midlar.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, I love all sorts of music, but country is my least liked too.

    Some of my favorites include: ELO's Don't Bring Me Down, Bruce Springsteen's Born In the USA album, R.E.M.'s End of the World as We Know It, Lady Gaga's Telephone and Bad Romance, anything by Imagine Dragons, One Republic or Mumford & Sons, Andy Grammer's Good to Be Alive and Don't Give Up, Jason Mraz's I Won't Give Up, Of Monsters and Men's Little Talks, Panic at the Disco's High Hopes, Pink and TwentyOne Pilots are fun, for quirky 5000 miles (can't think of the artist) and for more quirk and bagpipes go with Wing's Mull of Kintyre. Have fun creating your playlist!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Devvie, I'm looking for single songs here, but I will definitely be looking at these. I updated the blog to say that very hard or very funky is good with me

      Delete
  7. The Bueno Vista Social Club
    The Goat Rodeo Sessions
    Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition
    Van Morrison, Moondance
    Ben Harper, By My Side
    Flogging Molly, Drunken Lullabies (if you are in the mood for a little Celtic punk)
    Ottmar Leibert , Barcelona Nights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a huge fan of Moondance, but Into the Mystic is always on my list. I will add the Mussorgkly it's not on the list yet. the others I will check out, the funkier the better

      Delete
  8. Too Much of Heaven -Eiffel65
    What do you want from me -Grant Scott-

    Radio active -Imagine Dragons
    Don't Worry Child - Swedish Meat House
    Am I wrong- Nico and Vince
    Oldies: Hey Ya! by Out Kast
    Call Me Maybe -Carlye Jensen (these two are dance
    Fireworks -Katie Perry. party songs for us)

    OK- I love my grandson's music! There is more, but this is a good start. We will see if you like any of it. Have a great listening day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ill try, i would be honest if I did not say that current party music is very much not my thing, but I will look at it. Really I am looking for classic rock and blues but I can experimet, lol.

      Delete
  9. I forgot to add the Phoenix by Fall Out Boys from my seven year old alternative kiddo.....Their mom is super about playing everything.

    We are moving in stages. We will take a small Uhaul before the weather changes and get a storage room. A moving company and Our cars- loaded- in May. We are going a bit further - 2200 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary Chapin Carpenter. I’ve never listened to her before, but discovered her through her “Songs from Home”. Plus, I’ve fallen in love with her dog, Angus, and White Kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ah, yes. And she's from my long term home of Washington DC

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simon and Garfunkel
    Neil Diamond
    Linda Ronstadt
    TOM WAITS
    Gospel: Sandi Patty, Larnelle Harris, Pentatonix
    Aretha Franklin
    Etta James
    Anne Murray
    Elton John
    Queen
    Lots of Broadway Musicals
    Leonard Cohen
    Harry Belafonte
    Billy Joel
    Josh Groban
    Whitney Houston
    Andrea Bocelli
    Wynton Marsalis
    (Sorry for so many--I got carried away. I have eclectic tastes, but general I like ballads, anthem-type stuff, etc). If I could only have album it would be Les Miserables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free. I tend to be a more rough rythem and blues type overall, but I have a little bit of everthing.

      Delete
  13. I'm of no help, as I'm a huge country fan. I haven't listened to rock since the 1970's. I did go see the Queen tribute movie (name of which I've forgotten) and quite enjoyed the music.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. John Hartford -- hands down. Anything he does is wonderful, with a bluegrass bent.
    I'm partial to OutKast (especially their 'Hey Ya') and Pharrell's 'Happy.' You also need some classical: Scheherezade (did I spell that right?), Pictures At An Exhibition, The Planets, any of Beethoven's or Mozart's symphonies. I really like the New World Symphony...but that's for snowy or rainy days at home.
    The Temptations or Aretha -- or both!
    The Blues Brothers soundtrack
    Ray Charles -- particularly his bluesy slow stuff (like "Georgia on my Mind")
    Stealer's Wheel (especially "Stuck in the Middle with You")
    Ozark Mountain Daredevils (almost as good as John Hartford)
    Tommy James and the Shondells (I named my first book "Hanky Panky" after his work -- but I like "Toein the Line" as well)

    And you should probably get at least a few recordings of the Prairie Home Companion. It's wonderful on long-range trips. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My road trip music always includes as much Bonnie Raitt has possible. Also Gretchen Peters and Mary Chapin Carpenter. Paul Simon/Simon & Garfunkel and James Taylor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My tastes in music these days is mostly new age/spa music (gotta find peace somewhere), but I do have several 'down and dirty' blues CD's I could point you in the direction of, and a SLEW of 'smooth jazz' artists as well. Let me know if you are interested. And yes, after a 9 month blogging hiatus, I'm back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great rock group from Denton, TX: Bowling For Soup. Catchy tunes, clever lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My problem with herpes has caused me many traumas, especially in my sexual life. I was so afraid of infecting my Boyfriend, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting dermatologists queries hundreds of times. Unfortunately, they did not find a definitive solution to my problem.The solution came from the least expected place By reading in a forum on the subject, mentioned a method for eliminating herpes. Many people had tried, with excellent and quick results.I had nothing to loose so I decided to use this method to eliminate my herpes. spent 18 days using this method and my herpes completely disappeared. I recommend this method to all whose infected with herpes virus, who want to eliminate the herpes from their body forever contact. Doctor Razor via his Email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com , I recommend his herbal herpes healing method. you can visit his website : https://drrazorherbalhome.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome  , Whatsapp or Call Doctor Razor Via +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to use this medium to let everyone know that Herpes Simplex Virus has a complete and Permanent cure and that Dr Razor Herbal Medicine is the solution. I was Diagnosed with Herpes Virus type 1 in January 16, 2015, I have made several Research Hoping to see a true Cure or Healer, Fortunately for me i saw on a blog site how Dr Razor has been saving different lives and marriages with his herbal medicine, At first i did not believe but on a second thought, i decided to give him a try, I contacted him and he assured me of a cure, he prepared the herbal medication for me, which i took for 18 days, he told me to go for a medical check up, could you believe that i was confirm Herpes type 1 Negative after the test, and i went to a different hospital and it was also Negative, I became very happy and decided to write my appreciation article about this Good man. If you are battling with this same Infection or you know of a person who is infected with any disease like Herpes, HIV, Cancer, Syphilis, Hepatitis A,B,C, all types of Cancer, Gonorrhea, life's problems that you might have etc. kindly Reach out to Doctor Razor on Email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com. Whatsapp/Call him on +2349065420442. You can Also Visit His website : https://drrazorherbalhome.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome . My Sincere Gratitude to you Sir, God will surely Keep you safe from harms way. Please share so Other lives can be saved

    ReplyDelete
  20. Joy and happiness is all i can see around ever since i came in contact with this great man. i complained bitterly to him about me having herpes only for him to tell me it’s a minor stuff. He told me he has cured thousands of people but i did not believe until he sent me the herbal medicine and i took it as instructed by this great man, only to go to the hospital after two weeks for another test and i was confirmed negative. For the first time in four years i was getting that result. i want to use this medium to thank this great man. His name is Dr Oyagu, i came in contact with his email through a friend in USA and ever since then my live has been full with laughter and great peace of mind. i urge you all with herpes or HSV to contact him if you are willing to give him a chance. you can contact him through this email oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2348101755322
    He also cured my friend with HIV and ever since then i strongly believe he can do all things. Don't be deceived thinking he does not work, i believe if you can get in contact with this man all your troubles will be over. i have done my part in spreading the good news. Contact him through his email and you will be the next to testify of his great work.


    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!