Friday, March 13, 2020

So......

Things have changed just a bit since Saturday. Nationally as well as locally-and personally.

Locally schools have shut down. Most colleges have moved to distance models with students going home (I imagine this affects the ability to graduate for this who have degrees with hands on requirements such s interenships). Our sporting events have been cancelled and most events and concerts the same.

I've received emails from recreation centers and movies and local fast food places and restaurants as to how they are dealing with said virus. And yesterday, my church (and all the Episcopal churches in my diocese) closed all events and shut the doors until April first. There we be a video streamed service on Sunday, but the normal Lent activities including soup dinners and bible studies and ways of the cross are now eliminated. We are looking at ways to connect virtually and support each other.

My gals group has events (happy hours, lunches and brunches) through the end of the month. I sent out a mass message yesterday letting them know that I would not attend, so someone would need to act as hostess for each event. I'm not cancelling them because everyone gets to make their own choice, at least for now. As an aside, I also included a message about Texas and suggested that if people wanted the group to continue after I am gone, the time to slowly step up was now-I'll be cutting the events I host down to the minimum so that others can do so. 


If this has not happened in your community, it will. If your public health people are more proactive at the state level (along with your governor) than the feds you may be ahead of the game.  Some. While I am not a big believer in panic, I subscribe to the below philosophy.  And the US is so far reacting just about the way the Italians did-and look where they are. Our civilian leaders did not follow the advice of experts and now something radical needs to happen in my opinion. The president's speech was inaccurate (although he did not blame Democrats, who knew?) and he has not taken the issue seriously enough. And he sets a damned bad example to the rest of us by having been exposed to the virus and yet refusing to both self isolate and be tested.

ETA: I was impressed with today's state of emergency press conference IF everything is implemented immediately. But it should have happened a week ago.

Some of my readers think this is over reaction. I disagree. I think that the smart move is to shut down now, early, and that doing so will both lessen the time and the peak of that graph everyone is looking at. I encourage you to watch this linked video.

I've made the personal decision to remain at home and have done so now for almost a week. I did go to the grocery store for a pickup the other day, where I only cracked my window to get the receipt (I should have had her put it in the back) and sanitized after.  I need to go to a local lab and get an overdue a1c but right this minute I'm of the opinion that I'll put that off since last time I was well managed and I've been really good on the exercise and fairly good on the eating front but I have not decided. I tend to look at my diabetes as an inconvenience rather than an underlying condition, ya know?

I am not in a bubble. I live with a guy who is a kitchen manager for an (up to now) busy restaurant. He obviously washes his hands all day but I've been gently reminding him to do so when he walks in the door and have started doing a bit of sanitizing around the house. I also live with a gal who works in a normal office environment-so as I say, no bubble here, but definitely isolation from the rest of the world for now.

I have to tell you all: While this is the first week only, I have not minded it, nor missed the social intereaction as much as I thought I would. Having said that, between the lack of church socialization and human interaction (the primary reason besides meditation that I put aside my online social interactions), I have onced again joined all of my real and virtual friends on the web.

 I recently added another streaming platform. Between everything there is to watch, plus my subscription to the Great Courses, U-tube and my subscription to blueprint (a platform that offers quilting and art and cooking classes online), I could sit for three weeks and never repeat.  I'm not that person, but I also have a Kindle that can download whatever I want. I ordered some yarn so that I could make the top below (I'm not thrilled with the color of my kimono that Im working on so may change that to yellow and do something with the purple yarn). I am almost finished with the landscape quilt, and have two pieced quilts to work on and two to quilt.  Plus yarn supplies (I looked online for one skein patterns), art supplies, jewelry supplies, photos and memorabilia to sort through. And a book to work on. And a move to plan for and start drastically saving for. 




I also found the perfect online one hour aerobics program, which works me hard (my heart rate was over 140 which at my age is more than eighty five percent of my max so I should proabably modify it a bit), along with yoga, walking, and stretching. I suppose this is one of those times I am glad I still have a yard and my swing-although those apartments in Texas have all those patios and greenspace.

I don't have thirty rolls of TP. Actually I probably don't have enough for two to three weeks for two people. But creativity is the mother of invention. This is one of those times when I'm glad that I hung on to that small chest freezer (it will not move) and filled it up with meats and frozen vegetables. I started with all those meats and bought everything I needed to make meals out of everything in the freezer and then looked at breakfast substitutes and fresh substitutes (like frozen berry mixes). I know this is where many readers shake their heads-but if you are going into a grocery store you are going into a highly germ filled place-especially when it comes to the meat and produce areas not just the carts.  So in theory, I probably have enough meals for three weeks. And if I don't need them?  Well then I won't have to hit the grocery stores for quite some time.

Eventually I suppose, I'll be craving those happy hours and crafting times and I miss my church environment already. Meanwhile, the dog came and got in bed with me this morning and we stayed there until ten. I'll be walking forty minutes and and out of my house today. I have a knitting project, a sewing project, a book and a new TV show. And dogs that regularly drag me out into the sun and fresh air.  

All of which works for me. For now.

21 comments:

  1. I don't get the run on toilet paper. Coronavirus does not include diarrhea as a symptom. I was on hour community board just now and people are reporting all the stores that have run out.

    Everything here is shutting down and shutting down fast since last night---schools, libraries, events and we only have seven cases in the state of the virus. Hope these measures help contain it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. me too. I would rather see us all locked in for a week or so and have no major jump.

      Delete
  2. It's pretty much the same here in Canada, although I have not heard of any churches closing down so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't which ones have closed here besides mine. I would assume if the anglican and catholic ones are still open that they have made adjustments to the chalice ad are maybe just using bread.

      Delete
  3. Each day is a new reality as this disease spreads. I've been trying to think of things to do to keep occupied and connected. Hard on those of us who want and need contact with others but better for the common good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I suspect by next week I will be "I just really want to go to knitting!". But then again our town is mainly closed down stores and restaurants aside ...Today the library caneleed all its programs and reading groups and the rec centers are closed. Between those two things and my church that's alot of my socialization and volunteerism.

      Delete
    2. My son is still working but if that changes he was like " they better still have gatorade, a way for me to get books and vide games and the good snacks".

      Delete
  4. I remind the people who suggest many of us are overreacting that there is no rewind button. If they are wrong and things do get worse for awhile and affect every aspect of our daily routine it will do no good to say "told you so."

    There have always been people who bury their heads in the sand. Unfortunately, reality doesn't go away just because someone refuses to admit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw someone today say that if public health is done well people say it was an overreaction, and that's a disconnect.

      Delete
  5. It's the same in Oregon ... everything has been suspended and the Gov is suggesting staying home ... call friends video family. It's going to be so hard financially on so many. School kids who get free lunch? A local pantry is stepping up to help.

    Containment is our best hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our schools are providing grab and go meal everyday by way of drive up.

      Delete
  6. Oregon has 30 confirmed cases, mostly care facilities. Kaiser is cancelling all non-urgent medical appointments if you are over 80. No deaths so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went into stores so Tommy would not. I am going to Home Depot tomorrow and that is it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of shutting down of events happening here in Canada as well. I have filled the tank of the vehicle, plan on making a few things to take up to Kris's (we more or less self isolate there, and he can probably say he has been self isolating for over a month). So far the Mass will continue here with a few changes, I do foresee that the time could be coming to close down for awhile.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My state (CA) appears to be going at this very pro-actively, which they absolutely should given the size of our overall population. And I think it's worth mentioning that these efforts we are all now making are initially meant to quickly flatten the curve, i.e., slow the rate of infection, so that our healthcare system does not become overwhelmed. As such, limiting all interactions save going to the supermarket should go a long way in serving that effort.

    This is such a stressful time, but I have found that there is now more need than ever to help those in need, particularly children and that is where I am putting my efforts. We will be working at our local food pantry for as many days as it takes to ensure our vulnerable population has food and essential supplies, including, yes, TP.

    I do have to laugh a bit at all the emails I've been receiving, detailing efforts the organizations I interact with are making to combat Covid-19. I really had no idea just how many organizations I was involved with until now. 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. I know our schools are providing drive by and drive up bag breakfasts and lunches but we are still in a place where most people can drive. Not sure what they are doing in other areas.

      Delete
  10. Everything's closed in Pennsylvania -- school, theaters, libraries. Events are all being canceled. We're gonna go to the Jersey shore for the day -- lots of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this is one time when I'm glad I'm not yet in a condo and have a really big yard...fresh air and sun although not as warm as I would like.

      Delete
  11. You are keeping busy with enjoyable activities and I like the top you will be making. I admire our President and the way he leads us. I am staying home alone since Tuesday, though a friend came for tea on Wednesday. I can talk to my dog Bounce, he is a good listener LOL. True though. I will attend church with a live feed on Sunday, this is the first week services in person are cancelled. Be well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, please expand on how our President is leading us on this. Perhaps I've been remiss, but all that comes to mind is 1) 'This is a hoax' (clearly it is not), 2) 'We are very close to a vaccine' (we are not), 3) 'I don't think I need to be tested' (So, by implication, neither should any of us? Oh wait, he changed his mind, and did decide to get tested after all), and 4) 'It's all Obama's fault' (? Can you help me with this one, please?)

      Delete
  12. Our provincial government here in Canada (Saskatchewan) has been slow to react, but there have been regular updates and information from the federal government daily. I did go see my daughter and grandson last week but intend to stay home this upcoming week and may take your suggestion to order groceries on-line if needed. My son is still working, but I'm hopeful he won't be exposed.

    Like Bob said in an earlier comment, it is better to be prepared and not have something happen than to bury one's head in the sand hoping it all goes away on its own.

    Stay well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!