Saturday, March 7, 2020

Lent, Coronavirus and Spring

For the last ten days I have been enjoying my radio silence. I have not remained entirely off the grid. My morning worship in bed routine is done on a Kindle Fire and I have broken the "rules" on occasion to read a blog here and there (and comment once or maybe twice). I've mainly avoided the blogs, forums and Facebook by choice, and have not suffered for it.  I've been without my phone more than with it-except when in my pocket as a step and heart tracker. Instead I've spent additional time each day on prayer and meditation, attended a church dinnr and bible study and one other event weekly at church and have been doing discernment on a variety of topics-not all religious based as such. I've also done some thinking on how I can add a new "helping other" thing to my life when knowing my commitment would be less than a year.

This week my goal is to do better on my anti-tech and social media goals, and I won't be responding to any comments and going back to said silence for at least another week. I also plan to start  daily journal-something along the lines of morning pages that include bible journaling as part of my discernment process and Lenten meditations.

For those who asked why I did not just give up chocolate, Lent is meant to be about immersion and preparation for what come's after. Denial too, but that's not the primary purpose.

I've also been keeping up on Coronavirus issues-which are impossibe to avoid on any level. I try to keep a happy medium when thinking about this, and how it may affect the next few weeks or months.  I do think for many of us, it's time to move beyond the "life goes on as usual, just wash your hands" pilosophy and pepare for something further.  At least for a couple weeks. The question,of course, is where to go with that without complete over-reaction in the process.  Yesterday, the CDC pblished additional information and recommendations, including the fact that people sixty years of age and older should stay home as much as possible.

On the one hand this could be good advice (even though we have ony two diagnosed cases and no deaths in my state). On the other hand, I'm not ready to stay home and close the old doors.  Hermetically sealed life is not for me, if I can avoid it. If the zombie apocalypse ever comes, I accept that I will be among the first to go.  

I do want to keep myself and others healthy, so for now I'm judging each case and commitment one at a time, on a case by case basis. And keeping all of that in mind since I manage a large social group that has large social events in a manner of speaking.  I did cancel a packed local theater performance for tomorrow (for myself only). On the other hand,  I'm going to a painting class and my knitting group with a possible happy hour later in the week. I plan to go to church and wave at people during the sharing of the Peace (still deciding on that communal wine).  I'm scheduled to go to a line dancing class on Monday. And of course I live with someone who is sixty five and works (albeit in a small group environment) and a son who is a retaurant manager in a place that is packed daily-for now.  I do have to say that I most likely  will avoid going to places like the giant petri dish (as another blogger called it) that is Walmart!

 What I am NOT doing is buying up all the stuff. After watching a video this morning of people buying pallets of thirty and forty rolls of toilet paper and seeing an Amazon listing for seventy dollar sanitizer I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. What on earth are they thinking??!!??

Because even in  a downsized home in retirement I am of the keep the freezer and pantry and craft supplies stocked kind of gal, I did "up" those areas a teeny bit. After making a quick inventory of all that (mainly) protein in the outside freezer I did purchase everything I needed to make meals of each item. I bought nothing we would not normally eat although I did get a couple "convenience" items like frozen stew vegetables in case I needed them. And yes, I bought sanitizer. Three containers for three of us.

While food delivery and grocery delivery have improved exponentially, I do remember my son and I being sicker than the proverbial dogs and highly contagious for over two weeks with a "please end this" case of the regular flu and base these kind of things on that memory. We would not ask anyone else to share our contagion and the things we found to eat at the end of that two weeks.....Thank God for crackers and some hidden canned soup.

Besides, other than produce, some eggs and the occasional gallon of milk I should be able to avoid shopping for food for a month. Or two.  At least. And people, I HATE shopping. For anything, including groceries. In person or online. Except for yarn. And fabric. And the occasional really pretty sandal.

As for my travel, well, I have three day trips this spring that I plan to take at the moment and anything more complicated happens not until closer to the summer months.When I will make those decisions if I have to. This is one of those times when there are some real advantages to being a driver rather than a flier-I have only myself to worry about exchanging germs with, lol.

And now, back to my low tech/no tech season. Today it is supposed to be almost seventy degrees and I may actually get to sit out on the pergola swing with my meditations and journal. Minus the mimosas of course. Because, well, Lent.


16 comments:

  1. We have decided to not go to a symphony concert this week. Close to 2,000 older people in one space is probably not the best place to be right now. Otherwise, life goes on.

    I have a no electronics day for this Tuesday...not quite as impressive as your Lent commitment, but I did find last month's "day off" of media and computers very pleasant.

    Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life has not been easy for me, I am here to share the good news of my life, how I was cure through HSV2 by doc Aziegbe who help me within 2 weeks with the help of his herbal medicine I am from United states of America, so this Great doctor sent me a herbal which I took according to the way he instructed, just to find out I am cure after taking the cure for 2 week I found this man email from the internet, how he also help a lady from the same sickness. I am so happy to be writing this testimony to the world because this man really clean the tears in my heart and he is a man of his words I want to use this means to inform those of us who’s doctor had told there is no cure, well here is the chance to get yourself cured from this horrible sickness you can get Dr Aziegbe email here DRAZIEGBE1SPELLHOME@GMAIL. COM or you can also whatsApp him +2349035465208 and the doctor also told me he can fix this sickness also: 1. HIV / AIDS 2. HPV 3. CANCER 4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) 5. Hepatitis B

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you have your ducks in a row as they say:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed that you could find sanitizer to buy! We have approached the situation much as you have and I am not staying home yet. Of course if I had a serious underlying condition I might think differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got lucky and my grocery store had five per person limit.

      Delete
  4. That's a great Lent plan. And a good Covid19 plan. Prepare but don't get hysterical. We were iced in for a week and managed to eat quite nicely! We had communal meals with neighbors on the cul-de-sac. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've missed your blog!

    Amazon is no longer selling hand sanitizer because of the price gouging that was going on with some of their vendors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am preparing but not going overboard. I think people are panicking beyond what is the right response.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie i think the people who buy fifty rolls of tp are obviously panicking. for the rest, I am not so sure.

      Delete
  7. I could easily do without cable TV and Facebook and other social media (except for retirement and baby boomer blogs!). But the irony is that if we're forced to stay home because of the virus, we may end up using social media more ... and become more reliant on it. But perhaps we'll all be better off as the weather warms up, and we can simply go out for a walk in the nice spring air!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right. But then again, I have multiple streaming platforms and a kindle to down load books plus plenty ofentertainment on hand. and a large back yard to take advantage of.

      Delete
  8. I've always maintained a quantity of paper products, but not because of any serious concerns. No, I tend to buy either toilet paper or paper towels when I'm shopping at our local grocery store and need to exceed a certain limit to get maximum Airmiles. My kids have always told me I could take care of a number of households if need be. Well, it turns I'm ahead of my time perhaps.

    As for food, I've got a freezer and pantry full. It would be the fresh produce and dairy that would be the hardest to do without.

    As for social media - I'm so attached it's ridiculous and just a few years ago I wasn't at all. It's sucks one in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I consider this Coronavirus situation a dynamic one changing daily, so make my choices accordingly. Sounds like you’re doing what feels comfortable for you as we all deal with this new uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ts a pleasure for me to write this testimony about how i got my Genital Herpes cured a month ago. i have been

    reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr. OYAKHIRE, but i never believed

    them. I was hurt and depressed, I was too curious and wanted to try Dr.OYAKHIRE, then i contacted him through his

    email (drOYAKHIREHERBALHOME@gmail.com) when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with

    him to help me out. My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. He sent me his medication

    and ask me to go for check up after 14 days of taking the medication. i agreed with him and i took his medication

    and went for check up, to my greatest surprise my result was negative after the treatment, i am really happy that i

    am cured and healthy again. I have waited for 3weeks to be very sure i was completely healed before writing this

    testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess its time i recommend

    anyone going through Herpes HSV-1 or HSV-2, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis B, Diabetes, Cancer should reach him through his

    Email droyakhireherbalhome@gmail.com OR add him on whatsapp +2347084100646.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ts a pleasure for me to write this testimony about how i got my Genital Herpes cured a month ago. i have been

    reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr. OYAKHIRE, but i never believed

    them. I was hurt and depressed, I was too curious and wanted to try Dr.OYAKHIRE, then i contacted him through his

    email (drOYAKHIREHERBALHOME@gmail.com) when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with

    him to help me out. My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. He sent me his medication

    and ask me to go for check up after 14 days of taking the medication. i agreed with him and i took his medication

    and went for check up, to my greatest surprise my result was negative after the treatment, i am really happy that i

    am cured and healthy again. I have waited for 3weeks to be very sure i was completely healed before writing this

    testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess its time i recommend

    anyone going through Herpes HSV-1 or HSV-2, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis B, Diabetes, Cancer should reach him through his

    Email droyakhireherbalhome@gmail.com OR add him on whatsapp +2347084100646.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Life has not been easy for me, I am here to share the good news of my life, how I was cure through HSV2 by doc Aziegbe who help me within 2 weeks with the help of his herbal medicine I am from United states of America, so this Great doctor sent me a herbal which I took according to the way he instructed, just to find out I am cure after taking the cure for 2 week I found this man email from the internet, how he also help a lady from the same sickness. I am so happy to be writing this testimony to the world because this man really clean the tears in my heart and he is a man of his words I want to use this means to inform those of us who’s doctor had told there is no cure, well here is the chance to get yourself cured from this horrible sickness you can get Dr Aziegbe email here DRAZIEGBE1SPELLHOME@GMAIL. COM or you can also whatsApp him +2349035465208 and the doctor also told me he can fix this sickness also: 1. HIV / AIDS 2. HPV 3. CANCER 4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) 5. Hepatitis B

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!