Saturday, June 30, 2018

Asking The Readers: Glasses

Happy Summer, everyone. I've been enjoying my summer at home, heat and all (Thankfully today we have a mid seventies break). My women's group continues to get together (jewelry making and happy hour, wine tasting, lunch). I'm loving evenings and mornings in the back yard, and spending the mid day sewing and quilting in preparation for the holiday gifting and selling season is great. Day trips are the best, and we are considering a break here soon, and cannot decide whether to drive north to Montana or to Santa Fe. I know, really opposite choices.

Meanwhile, this past week I had my very long over due (two years over due), eye exam and eyeglass check. The good news was that I didn't have to have my eyes dilated, thanks to a new computer that takes special pictures. Believe me, it was worth the forty bucks more than insurance would pay. I also have a new prescription. It seems that my left eye has changed the most. The far part needs to be a little weaker, and the near part a little stronger. Go figure.

Anywhoo, even with eye insurance, my glasses will come to a grand or more for two pairs of glasses. Yep, blind as a bat.  So, I ask you my glasses and contact wearing readers: Talk to me about ordering glasses online. I'm interested in the good, the bad and the ugly. I have my prescription in hand, including the pupil distance. I'm willing and prepared to do research as needed and am prepared to upload a picture to compare glasses styles and or wait for frames to come to me to try on.

So tell me. Have you ordered glasses online?  Did you like them? Would you do it again?  Were you satisfied with the process?  Tell me all about it.

Note, while I appreciate suggestions I am ONLY looking for advice on ordering online here. I know many folks like Costco, but their prices are not that great for me. I'm specifically looking for online options and alternatives for this situation.

Thanks!!

17 comments:

  1. Personally I wouldn't dare. I have had so many problems getting glasses to fit just right. I need to be able to go in periodically and get them adjusted. I hear you though on the price. I just paid $900 for a new pair as well as a prescription pair of sunglasses. They really get you don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had my current glasses adjusted at places other than where I bought them so I hope I have that issue covered.

      Delete
  2. I gave Glasses USA a try. For $93 for a pair, with coupon, I fugured it was worth a try. It was very easy. Prescription uploaded and I picked style. I recommend having a recent picture with no glasses on to virtually try them on. I'm not unhappy with my glasses but might splurge a bit more with better frames next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the companies I am looking at actually has a store near me and/or will send me five frames to try on....I like that idea.

      Delete
  3. Gosh, and I thought the $300 I paid was a lot! Those prices are ridiculous. I'll be interested in what your readers recommend. I always wondered ordering online how you'd know if the frame fit your face or they get the bifocals in the right place when they can't measure your face and frame and pupil distances. I also agree with Roberta above about needing a place to get your glasses readjusted from time to time and get new nose pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my frame measurements and pupil measurements done at pearl vision after my exam
      With no questions asked.

      Delete
  4. I've never ordered glasses on line but like you one pair of glasses cost a lot. In the order of $800 (Canadian) but my doctor usually discounted to around $500 (still a lot). I just bought a pair of specs once more for distance and reading. These cost just over $400 but I won't need another pair because I went for cataract surgery. Though my cataracts were not so bad it was an opportunity for me to avoid the surgery in future and to eliminate my need for daily glasses. I only bought the newest ones for those rare instances when I might want to have crystal clear vision. Best of luck with your buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want crystal clear vision all the time, I do much small crafting and road tripping and I really need to see things clearly.I need to full pair because I also need prescription sunglasses, so the search is on.

      Delete
    2. My vision is good enough for crafting and road tripping and sometimes reading (depends on light and dryness of the eyes). I do have to wear sun glasses at all times. My eye glasses are anti-glare and progressives that's why they are expensive. I hope you are able to find what you are looking for. If you need progressives that might be a bit tricky to order on line but there are probably websites that give tips on how to go about it.

      Delete
    3. Yea, they all give instructions on the progressives. I dont think the prescription part will be difficult, the frame choice could be a bit complicated, lol.

      Delete
  5. You didn't say whether your glasses have "extras," things like progressives or blended progressive, or Transitions coating, etc. but the last time I had my prescription done I checked with having those things done with an online source and it wasn't very cost effective plus it would have been a pain to reorder, have fixed, etc. if it had been done wrong. Costco still did a better job for less. This last time I ended up ordering my frames online but had Costco make up the prescription - the entire process for everything (frames and lenses) cost less than $300 and that included blended progressives, scratch fee lenses and Transitions. I've been very satisfied with the result. We've also used Walmart optical in the past for the girls' glasses (no extras) - they did a good job for a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. I do wear progressives. I'm doing pretend estimates on Zenni as we speak this evening so well see what I end up with. I won't be wearing transitions. So I need prescriptions sunglasses and regular. I'll let you all know tomorrow what I find.

      Delete
    2. I have heard that Costco does a good job of glasses and is very cost effective compared to most places.

      Delete
  6. My husband and I have bought glasses from Zenni Opitical. We have been very pleased. I have noline bifocals. Paid $50. His are a little more complicated. He paid around $100.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zenni is where my family gets glasses. Five so far and all very happy with them. ~Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  8. I have purchased frames from EyeBuyDirect and have been very pleased with them. Can't speak to the lenses, because I had those done at Costco. EyeBuy usually has some sort of deal going ... BOGO on frames, or a % off your order.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!