Sunday, July 1, 2018

Glasses Update!

First of all, thank you everyone for your glasses experiences, (and opinions!) via email or in the comments, they were very helpful and informative!

In order to get a VERY ROUGH idea of what I was looking at, I did a small test order this morning with Zenni optical, simply editing in m prescription and pupil distance. I chose a simple pair of frames. I ordered two pair, polarizes sunglasses and basic progressives.

Note that I did not have a need for some of the requirements others might. I live so close to the sun that I need sunglasses when I am outside, at every time, unless there is a serious storm, even in overcast weather. So transitions, for example, are not something I would use. I also cannot use replace a lens, because I don't have backups and cannot send my frames in the mail (something I would definitely do if I  purchased at a cheaper price).

A couple people mentioned concerns for themselves. Let me say that I purchased my current glasses at Sears, and they cost a grand (so it's not just the Pearl Vision types that cost an arm and a leg in my case). I have had these glasses adjusted for looseness on the sides and the curvature around the ear (I am tough on glasses because with crafting tiny things that they come on and go off with regulariy). With the exception of one instance, I have never been charged for such help, but even if they charged me ten or twenty bucks it would have been worth it. As for sizing, my glasses show their measurements on the sides, and I will upload a photo of myself to "try them on" before ordering.

As far as the pupil distance, Pearl Vision (which is very much a for profit and try and sell you, believe me) gave me my distance with no issue whatsoever.  Other places may not be so kind, but my experience is that it is not that difficult to do yourself.

I am not minimizing the concerns with ordering online, just noting what my experience was so far.

So, for the final product. Each of the frames I chose were in the 30 dollar range, and progressive lenses. I obviously have to do my due diligence, but for now I chose recommended material (about two thirds to the top of the choices) and basic anti reflective coating (I will probably add the blue blocker on the basic lenses for another fourteen bucks).

For the sunglasses I chose an 85 percent brown tint (my personal experience is that for me brown works better than gray) in a polarized polycarbonate finish, and a standard anti reflective coating for now.

Folks, the total price for these two glasses right now is right around.....wait for it...two hundred dollars.

Now, I have a lot of research to do. I may choose a more expensive material,  I may choose a better frame (I am looking for something blue that has a wider lens area than my current glasses do, more of a square shape!). I need to compare all options and do some "glasses learning", and I need to look specifically at a company called Warby Parker that sends you five frames to actually physically try on my face.

But even if I ended up spending two and a half times as much, or around four fifty, that would still not be as much as one of my pairs of glasses at almost any local place, including Costco.

So yes, I'll go to Costco, and even to eyeglasses USA, due my due diligence and research. But right now, those online glasses are looking really, really good!



9 comments:

  1. I don't blame you at all for trying the online glasses. I'm interested in how it turns out because I like so many of the colorful frames I've seen online and can't get them at the Rx Optical place where I go. I get new glasses every year with trifocals, sun tint and scratch proof coatings and have never paid more than $300. I'm still in shock that you and some of the other commenters are reporting glasses with such high price tags!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see my prescription, or try to see through my prescription, lol. Lets just say I am lucky to get from my bed to the bathroom without glasses, and because I'm so close to the sun I absolutely have to have those dark sunglasses, doubling the base price.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you are going to get an excellent price by going on line. I wish you well with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is incredible to me that people have to pay so much for glasses. I know I’m incredibly lucky my eyes are basically the same so can purchase inexpensive OTC varieties — had cataracts removed years ago.

    I’m a strong believer that eyeglasses, hearing aids, teeth are such critical items to a person’s overall functioning that they should be available to everybody inexpensively. Fat chance that would ever occur with this administration, but a laudable goal for the future — if not my generation, then maybe my children or grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great price! I hope that works out for you. My daughter got frames sent to her so she could try them on and pick one. I'm not sure what company, but that part worked out well.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, that's one of the companies I am gonna try. My glasses still work, so I'm allowing myself time to explore and be diligent.

      Delete
  5. Just left my new eye doctor this morning. Visit and a great exam were free on my Humana Gold insurance but wow the upsell on the glasses! Progressive lenses would be $750 BEFORE i even picked out frames.First pair of frames I picked up were $349. NO WAY!! Bifocals would be $359 AND UP... PLUS frames.. I'll be taking my prescription to Costco or Target. I get a $200 credit towards the new glasses.Last year my bifocals and frames were just $140 TOTAL at Costco.Since my prescript. changed I need new ones. Over $1000 at an eye doctor?? Come on....... !!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this with interest since I recently got my prescription and will soon buy a new pair of glasses. My insurance pays a small portion of the frames and lenses when I use an optician on their list, so I will do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine pays a small portion when I go in network as well. But the difference is big enough that I will pay much more that way. Fifty bucks on one set of lenses and one fifty on frames will not save the same amount or close to it.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!