Monday, March 19, 2018

Gwynnie Bee-Trying Out "Curated Clothing" In Retirement



As I mentioned in a recent post, I have been clearing my closet of anything I don't wear, no longer fits (I do NOT believe in a rule in holding on to old size clothes unless it's a surgery or temporary issue or it's something you adore). Son brought me by a bag of black trash bags today and I can now load up my car.

What's left is not complete. I have sweaters I want to take to the fluff and fold and so on. But everything left is wearable, stuff I like and can live with and are a start on my moving towards a capsule wardrobe (not project 333 folks) in at least two colorways. My goal going forward is to slowly change out and add pieces that I love and are comfortable above all. No comfort, no buy. 

My aim is always to keep things within a fairly firm  price point, but I am willing to step out of that box for extreme comfort or something perfect I know will last forever. To meet that goal I shop anywhere from Walmart (hey, my favorite, dressy gray with lace on the edges knit top comes from Walmart), to thrift and consignment stores, to various clothing and department store. Because I have had a pile of excess down time the past week due to the bronchial infection from hell, I have had extra online time. Part of that time has been to explore and perhaps go down the rabbit hole, with what I believe are call curated clothing companies.

This blog post is a little long as I describe how everything works, if you will. I promise that future posts about other companies and clothes will just have the reviews, the pictures and me!!

Basically there are two kinds of options from what I can tell. With the first kind of option, the company charges a small "styling fee".  You fill out an extensive style profile and size profile (including colors, types of clothes, gold or silver, areas you want to highlight and more), as well as writing a letter to a personal "stylist". Said stylist then chooses up to five items based on your style, size, lifestyle and price priorities and ships them out in a box. You try on said outfits. You love 'em hate 'em, keep 'em, or return them. And then you share your opinions with your stylist so that she can either keep giving you good stuff, or adjust her profile so she can send you better stuff. Should you decide to purchase an item, that twenty dollar styling fee goes to the cost.

Companies like these seem to be Stitch Fix, Dia and Company (which comes next in my review process) and Natalie Attired. There are more, I just haven't tried them yet.

The second option is more of a "rent as long as you like and maybe buy option", which can have a higher fee. I'm pretty sure fellow blogger Jodie does this alot with jewelry companies like Rocksbox. Instead of someone styling or "choosing" for you, you go through the options available and create a closet or jewelry box. You prioritize the clothes in the closet and then you receive a certain amount of items (depending on the plan). The difference is that you can keep those clothes for as long as you want, send them back and wear other clothes. Occasionally you may choose to buy a piece but I suspect the money is made on those who simply rent and return, even with the cost of cleaning fees.

My first trial box was from the second kind of online option, Gwynnie Bee. The second, which arrived today and is yet unopened is from the first type. Full disclosure here. In this particular post there are no photos of me, fashionable or otherwise. I promise I in the future to photograph all the clothing on my own body and share because, well, how fun! This particular  post however has no pictures of me or the clothes, because I made my decision overnight, and had not had a chance to decide if I was actually gonna continue this and write about it. And because I was sick. Really sick. Raccoon eyes sick. Bluish-greenish tinged skin sick. And an facial expression that might be described as permanent cough face. Not a nice photo op. I'll also post on Facebook and Instagra, probably starting tomorrow.

So, Gwynnie Bee.  Gwynnie Bee calls itself an "unlimited clothing rental copany". I was offered a free trial that began on the 3rd of March and would end 4 April. I would receive two pieces at a time, and would keep them until I decided to buy or return. At that point I would receive two more items. Should I decide to keep up this system, I would begin paying a fee of $75 (after taxes each month) starting on April 4th. Gwynnie Bee is a company for women size 10 and up. A demographic I fully  fit in and always will, because no matter how much weight I lose, I am still a 46 H and not likely to have a reduction at this point in my life.

While I was fairly impressed with the clothing, and actually kept something, I quickly realized that this particular model is not a viable option for me. I am not a girl who wants to wear an item for a few times and change it out. I can fully understand that there are people who would do this, especially in certain working or social environments. I can see wanting a different dress for social occasions or business dinners and such, or the need to seem like you have an "endless closet". 

I, however, do not have that kind of need or want.  I only wear what I really like, and if I really like it I'm hardly likely to give it up. Either way $75 bucks for the privilege was way too much. So I gave it the chance of one box and went from there. My intent with other companies with "stylists" is to give said stylist time to adjust to my quirks as needed.

In my first box, I received the red chiffon dress below (which did cover my knees) and the short version of the black pants. The black pants were cropped stretch knit with a very wide waist band, and pockets. Why is it that men get pockets in every pair of pants and jacket they buy and we are left out? They were comfortable even sitting down and taut against my knee, looked great and were the same price as they were on Amazon at $35. A reasonable price for a nice pair of pants, you'll agree. The red dress just did not hit me the way it did in the picture. So back it went (in a bag with free shipping). A second two pieces came from my closet, but I returned them immediately, as I had already decided both the hefty fee and the "keep 'em and wear 'em" model was not for me.






For those who are curious, the clothes were good quality, and as this picture of some of the things I had thrown in my closet show, fairly stylish as well. While I didn't recognize all the brands, overall on the purchase side the cost per item was very fair-for something never worn before. As I understand it, these pants probably had been worn before. Not a deal breaker for me, but if so, it does drop the clothing from the brand new price level-or at least I think it should. Had this been the other kind of clothing option, where I paid a $20 fee and they sent me clothes and I kept them or not, I very likely would have purchased the same pants in a longer length and at least tried the pretty green dress even thout it's not close to my normal color. But I was unwilling to pay the higher fee in order to purchase, and I will be 
cancelling my membership tomorrow.  




So my final verdict over all? Good clothing at a decent price. But the rent and wear as opposed to curate and buy or return is not the right shopping option for me. It may be for you, and if you are a voluptuous size or something close, it certainly may be worth checking out.

I do have to say that on the customer service level this company was superb. I sent two separate online messages under help, and got quick, kind, coherent responses to both questions, once if which I realized was fairly silly/obvious ten seconds after I sent it.

Shipping both ways on my free trial was also completely free. The items came in a box with a large addressed plastic envelope that I simply gave to my mail person. Instructions for returns and cost of each individual item was posted at the same time as the box arrived, and easy to find. And as I mentioned the clothes were good quality and at a decent price point. And their fee and model may well work for you, just not for me.

My next crated box has five items from Dia. The box is sitting on my desk, waiting as a fellow blogger would say, for the formal unboxing. I am much more hopeful with this one, considering the numbers of questions asked and design and personal history given. Only the next day or so will tell!


15 comments:

  1. It's nice you have these styling options. Best of luck with finding the right "fit".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been seeing ads for Dia. I can't wait to hear your opinions. I hate to shop in a store so this very much appeals to me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with ya. I love clothes but stores not so much. I do have three or four stores (including Christopher and banks) where I really know my sizes and have a store near for instore returns so I am shopping more and more online.

      Delete
  3. I've been curious about these kinds of "shopping" options so this was an interesting post. I hate shopping and clothes are not my thing. I do need to perch in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea, I probably should have been clear. My closet is not empty, just emptier, lol

      Delete
  4. I've seen a lot of these clothing services lately. But I do like to shop in person for clothes. At age 64,almost 65, I still tend to still pay a lot of attention to having and wearing pretty clothes,jewelry, and a jaunty scarf here or wear my own clothing ! I went to Catholic school and wore uniforms.Then I went into NURSING and WORE UNIFORMS!! LOL!! They even told me what SHOES I had to wear!!!! I like clothes and pretty stuff!!! When I worked ,later on, in an office, I got to dress and enjoyed it.I spent a good amt. at Chico's,Dillards,Macy's. We went on cruises every year and so i had evening gowns too,though a friend of mine traded gowns back and forth so we had a stash of 4 or 5 we wore for years. NOW, in retirement,I HAVE ENOUGH CLOTHES to last me, but I still unfortunatelyl like to shop. I only shop at Consignment stores now when I get the bug. I used to make sure to buy my jeans and capris new, so they fit well.But lately I have even been finding "Not Your Daughters Jeans' In my fave consign. store. Last week I got a pair of white jeans (NYDJ) for $11 and a pair of beige capris for $2 in the clearance rack.I found a great COACH purse for $40 ( a splurge, I like good purses..) and 2 gorgeous spring tops that match everything I own. Periodically,I clear out my closet and bring items in for trade credit,so I am always revolving the closet.Someday maybe I will care less about my clothes but for now I am still into it.. but on a budget, "Turnstyle" my fave store, is such a fun place, and I ALWAYS find good items. Luckily,I have a husband who does notice what I wear and appreciates that I don't shlep around in sweat pants!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love clothes, I dont like shopping for them, lol. Like you, enjoy clothes, and except for the coldest and hottest weather I dress for my day when I get up-I'm not a wear jeans and then get changed later person except on the coldest days, and on the hottest days I wwear floor length loungers. I do love consignment stores as well, especially for accessories. I rarely wear jeans as they and my injured knees dont get along unless they are really soft. Leggings and narrow legged yoga style pants keep me going!

      Delete
  5. I don't know if we have those options here in Canada. I think I might have to do some research.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I'd be interested in knowing the answer to that question as well.

      Delete
  6. What is a capsule wardrobe and project 333? I mostly shop at thrift stores, but even then not often. I always go into a department store with enthusiasm that peters out quickly if I have to try on more than a few things. Hopefully you can find something you like at Dia.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shiela. I'll talke about this more, bt the idea is that you have a basic wardrobe with classic pieces (like my straight leg yoga pants) and you fill them in with seasonal clothing. At it's extreme is project 333, the idea that you have 33 out of the house pieces for each season and that is all you use (not including sleep clothes, outerwear, shlumpy clothes and workout clothes). Neither of these have worked for me, mainly becase I live in a climate that goes from 30 to 70 degrees in 24 hours on a regular basis and because I am not a "black as neutral " type person, I wear mainly bright colors. But I am trying to get more organized and only have stuff I like and use. I am fortunate that I have at least two online stores that I like, know stuff fits me most of the time, and allows in store returns, ya know.

      Delete
  7. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Babykleertjes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for picking out the time to discuss this, I feel great about it and love studying more on this topic. It is extremely helpful for me. Thanks for such a valuable help again. http://cybermondaydeal.website

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of Good information in your post, I favorited your blog post so I can visit again in the future, Thanks.

    Tank Tops for men

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative.. tazze personalizzate

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!