Friday, March 16, 2018

Friday This n' That!

So I'm sick again. Which is incredibly frustrating because normally I don't get seriously sick. A mild sniffle here and there, but the last time I was seriously ill was four years ago while visiting my daughter in Texas, and the one year I had no flu shot. I thought I had this thing kicked when I drove to Texas, but either it was still hiding there, or some other germies entered the house through others. This time I said enough, went to Urgent Care and found out that while I did not yet have pneumonia, I had a really bad case of bronchitis. So I am now mega dosing on steroids, those little yellow pills that coat your throat, antibiotics and orange juice. This time, we're gonna take care of things right!

Obviously, this has keep me mainly chair bound and energy low this week. However:

1. On Wednesday, I was just feeling a little "punky" (no cough yet, that started at bedtime or so, of course).  I was craving breakfast for dinner, so we wandered down to the Village Inn where I had.........wait for it...........both Eggs Benedict AND free Cherry Pie  Ala Mode. Sometimes my friends, you just gotta!

2.  March Madness has arrived, yes it has, yes it has! Officially my bracket was ruined the moment Loyola beat Miami, but my final four are intact. For those wondering, my choices are Michigan State, Villanova, Virginia and Gonzaga-but I'm beginning to think maybe Gonzaga may not make it all the way. Sorry Kansas and Michigan folks, but I just think that both teams are too unreliable-you never know who will show up. Yes, for the next three weeks I am all about basketball!

3.As I mentioned on the Facebook page, I'm part of a creative challenge and I'm supposed to write a letter and make a card to put said letter in (or write in the card) this month. A quick trip to Hobby Lobby netted me some papers and stamps and such, and added to my watercolors I should be able to come up with something that I am not ashamed to photograph. I'll work on that this weekend. I'm going with the assumption that all these drugs will show a marked improvement in 24 hours.

4. After a great deal of thought, I'm giving up my Verizon wireless and 4 G service and moving to (mainly) just Wif.  I just ordered the S9 through Xfinity, and while it has a mobile network, you pay by the gig. I really only need non wifi when I am traveling, you know?  I will move from my Samsng 4G tablet to a Wifi only Fire HD 10 (the one that's the size of the IPad) and a keyboard. Truth be told, I'm not fully paid off on the Verizon devices. But I will be by the end of the summer, and meanwhile I am not paying the 100 buck plus service plan that Verizon has in place for me. My new basic service will be $35.00. This is part of along term effort to lower the costs of subscriptions and basic month to month services as much as I can. I may never be able  to get rid of cable itself because of sports, but this cuts down my monthly bill from almost 250 bucks to $35 monthly plus data.

I do know there are many other companies like Ting and such, but I wanted Verizon's towers for those few times I need them. Hence this choice.

5. During my non coughing times, I have been doing through my closet from top to bottom, as I mentioned the other week. In order to see what I had, I put everything on hangars in my closet. I now have an even larger piles of clothes to go. Instead of re-purposing, I've decided my goal is to have them gone. I'll keep the things that can be cut into rags, and let this be a lesson to myself to only buy stuff I love. In the colors I love. And nothing black unless it appears on the lower half of my body. Less is more, less is more. Most of the time at least.

And so it goes. I hope you all had a lovely week.

10 comments:

  1. You've got to slow down and let the drugs do their thing if you want to recover fully from your bronchitis! Practice vegetating for a few days woman!

    I've got to start studying about how to give up my cable. My monthly bill is $185 bundled with wifi and phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in my bed with all the pillows stacked high and with my kindle and tablet. I'm gonna let them bring me dinner in bed, lol.

      Delete
  2. You've made some good changes to reduce the cost of your technology service subscriptions. Good for you. Soon I will study what to do in the same vein but am just waiting for the fibre optic upgrade in my building to be available. It will be soon. Take care. Slow down like Jean says so your body can recover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you are sick but the meds should kick in soon. I hope you will post a photo of your watercolor card and before and after of your closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely although perhaps later than sooner. I'm taking my good sweaters to the fluff n fold bit by bit.

      Delete
  4. Have you look led at StraightTalk? They use Verizon’s backbone, and I pay $35 a month for unlimited talk and text, plus 2GB of data which is plenty as long as you don’t stream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, but I got a deal on the brand new phone as well and Xfinity is also my bundled provider (not getting rid of cable anytime soon). I agree. I actually use much less than 2gigs except for cross country rural driving and then I can budget for tht.

      Delete
  5. Or you could use Total wireless from walmart/Tracfone for $25 a month with no data or $35 a month for 5GB data. It uses Verizon towers and seems to work even better than StraightTalk. I used StraightTalk for years and then switched. More reliable service and less dropped calls. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree they had a good pla as wel, but I dont need even close to 5G except for the four times year I do serious road trips. I'm now committed to xfinity for awhhile. My basic month to montly cost is 35 bucks and 12 dollars per gig which works for me. Now I need a good, large, wifi tabled (amazon fire) as Im only using mobile devices these days.

      Delete
  6. I hope you continue to heal. Good on you for cutting costs, we cut our cable several years ago and fill in with fun things like Britbox.com. Now you make me want to go through my closet again and give away lots of clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!