Sunday, March 4, 2018

Back at Home And Exhausted-My Week In Review

So here I am, at home again. So exhausted after no sleep the night before and the drive back that I went to bed well before ten last night-more than unusual for me.  Our return trip was not quite as stressful as the one down, mainly because we had no blinding Texas rain. But both agreed that while we might consider not dividing the day and half and driving more on the first day (in order to get there earlier and spend more time on the second) driving through is only an option for emergencies and the like. It's especially difficult for me, as I can neither sleep nor read (and therefore not go online) in a car. Meaning that even when it was officially not my time to drive, there was really nothing for me to do but sit and look out the window!!

And let's just say it was a good thing I walked 7 thousand steps on Tuesday and did my stretching, because for the last four days-nothing! Today hopefully I can get at least  little walking and some chair yoga in. My exercising is not where I should be, but with my pain level right now I'll settle for as many steps as I can every other day along with yoga and exercise class when I can fit it in. Friday night as we were relaxing before leaving, we also watched Wonder Woman, which I had not seen. I enjoyed it, but am not sure it would have qualified for a see it in the theater type of movie for me!

The memorial ceremony and interring of ashes portion of the day was simple and lovely. Post reception, we traveled to a high end restaurant chosen by my sister in law, where I had Steak Tartare, lobster bisque and key lime pie. Considering that the next day my daughter and son and I went out to our favorite Viennese restaurant where I had schnitzel and potato salad and lingon berries and German Sacher Torte, the food canceled out any supposed hotel savings. Never mind the calories.

Meanwhile, a few this n that type things from retirement that happened the three days or so before I headed out for said marathon:

I somehow managed on last Sunday to downsize what is basically a large (tall) laundry basket of clothing items from my closet. It's now sitting in my sewing room while I try to decide if any items can be re-used or purposed (beyond the obvious rags). Because I really don't want to send stuff to Goodwill so they can send it to a foreign country and ruin that market. And because, honestly, some of the items are not just things I don't like, but things that have imperfections making them not really donatable (like the large ink mark on one shoulder of an otherwise perfectly good sweater. Long story, don't ask). This pile includes the sheets from before I got my lovely new quilt/sham set, sweater that are not wool, and more. Hopefully, ideas will come.

Along the same crafty lines, I've been using remnants large enough not to throw out but small enough not to fit into other project and turning them into cloth napkins and the like. I also finished a yoga mat bag and plan to make some more, and have been taking my online art classes at least once or twice a week

 I had budgeted for a couple Olli (senior college) classes for this winter session. I don't know if it is me or what, but the only two things even slightly calling to me were a Great Decisions or a memoir writing class-both of which meet as the same time as my knitting group gets together, and I won't give that up. So no senior college class for me this winter. Instead, I'll at short term (One to four session) crafting or language or other seminars as the appear on my horizon and jump into them as they call me (yes, at the last minute).

I had known I would discover where my new outreach opportunities(s) were sooner rather than later. I've stepped up with the Family Promise organization at my new church.  This involves hosting and assisting in hosting of homeless families at our church and various nearby churches, while providing meals and assistance. It's an important mission and meshes with my other outreach that remains on my schedule. This requires active involvement about every six weeks (aside from paperwork and recruitment) and is close to my home, meeting all of my new outreach requirements!!

Along with my "mindless" procedural mysteries, I've begun the book The German Girl for one of my two book clubs this month. On the TV side I've now finished Altered Carbon, La Mante, and both seasons of The Missing. Time to choose my next Netflix/Amazon show, since I know I have a couple weeks before the new Bosch arrives.  Movie wise?  I seem to have missed both Three Billboards and The Darkest Hour in theaters, so a not sure what i out there that I should see right now.

As I plan to head out to dinner this evening on a last minute plan, as well as getting together with people tomorrow night, I am reminded that these occasions are EXACTLY why I keep my calendar even emptier than in the past.  So I can say yes. To dinner invitations at the last minute, to friends stopping by (sometimes een unannounced), to running out of the house to walk with a friend as she goes by, to ignoring house and home and finishing a quilt or reading a book in a day and more. Some of us are planners and schedules in retirement (and other times) others of us are spontaneous in the extreme. I learned a long time ago that being one of the non planners, doesn't mean I do less (or even plan less or have less goals). it just means I get there at an easier, more relaxed, less "pushing" pace. Because pushing myself in retirement is just not where I am, as such.

This coming week have my normal reading, sewing and knitting and exercise classes to look forward to. I also have a new slow cooker recipe to try and add to the "frugal slow cooker" , and a in the process of playing with a healing salve recipe and gardeners hand scrub to sell/give for Mother's Day. I also would like to finalize the fleshing of my summer trip north. I'm trying to figure out how to hit Cheyenne, Jackson, Missoula and Yellowstone while not repeating a route and avoiding less than pictures eastern Montana. Much easier said than done.

Never mind the baking (Easter cookies for the freer and savory muffins) and the fact that I am over due for a day of nothing but wine, books and dogs and there you have it. And I know, I'm do for another care giving, widowhood post somewhere in there .More to come..........

4 comments:

  1. Glad you made it back safely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always sound quite busy to me but it seems you have created the flexibility you want in your schedule as well. I too didn't find any OLLI classes I want to take next session so will wander further into class offerings elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OLLI classes never seem to work in my schedule because they'd put me into driving rush hour which I won't do anymore. Too bad because they have some great ones.

    What did you mean when you wrote you won't donate to "Goodwill so they can send it to a foreign country and ruin that market"? I thought they only send them after disasters and to refugee camps. Are you saying those donations are ruining the clothing industry aboard?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rest up! I al also enjoying a year of a more relaxed schedule and less commitments.It sure does feel good!!!!! My husband wants to do a longish road trip from Phoenix to Denver.. but I am not sure I want to be in a car that many ours..we'll see...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!