Thursday, March 1, 2018

It May Be Frugal, But Never Again!

So this afternoon is my father-in law's memorial ceremony,  and then the family is going out to dinner. Looking forward to spending this afternoon and this evening remembering him. And so happy to see my daughter and son-in-law, who welcomed us at 9:30 last night with steak off the grill, roasted potatoes and vegetables, God love him.

However, the driving in one day door to door thing, and avoiding a hotel? Never, ever, no matter what is that going to happen after this particular trip.  I would park in a Walmart parking lot between two RV's in my car and sleep first (all you RV folks do know that most WM's let you park overnight for free, yes?) before doing this again.

In all fairness, this was not about the money as such. At least for me. College student had mandatory class that ended late Thursday and had to be back at work Sunday morning. He has enough points for one plane trip, but we have that pink dress wedding coming next month. And there is no cheap funeral flight anymore. To fly into Dallas and out again in three days without going to some small airport that I would have  had to drive him to was like $500 for this funeral. Where are the last minute discounts when you need them?  



ANYWAY,  We decided (or rather I did) that we would drive the full 12 hours (before gas, walking and lunch breaks) in one day. Seriously folks. I know there are people that do this kind of driving all the time, but even with TWO drivers, and roads that allowed for 75 to 85 speeds the entire time, I'm just not doing this one again. In fact, as we drive home on Saturday, I may drive as far as we can, spend the night and then get up at six am or so in order to get said son to work at noon on Sunday. To those wondering why he couldn't take off more time, the answers are he already took off two of the three full days he works each week. So, money. And they need him and are (mainly) good to him, and in another month he needs to take another five days off. 

Cotton, Cattle, Energy and Tourism-it must be Texas


I love driving. Seriously. Whether it be the most gorgeous place in the world, or the Texas panhandle (which, joking aside, as the best non-water related sunsets in the world on some days) But at my own pace, taking time to enjoy what's around me, get out and walk leisurely, and even sit down for lunch.

All I can say is that it's a darned good thing I walked almost eight thousand steps, cripple knee or not the day before! And that we left the dog at home this time. He would have driven us crazy.

And now I'm off to spend the day with family, and put that mess behind me. At least until Saturday.

12 comments:

  1. In my twenties and early thirties, I could drive with help for 12 hours. Now, I think even being driven the whole way would just kill me. It's one thing to drive 12 hours one way, but turning around and doing it the next day is grueling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't kill me to be in the passenger seat physically. I just get bored cause I cannot read or sleep in a car and my knitting was out of reach this time!

      Delete
  2. I'm afraid I'm really spoiled when it comes to driving long distances. We always stop halfway if it's over 6 hours and get a room. It just gets too physically uncomfortable.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always stop at six, but I normally make eight the absolute minimum and never dive after dark. The Drury Inn, how I've missed you this trip!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos! My husband loves to drive, and will drive for 14 hrs straight. We get where we are going, but it wears me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not good for long in the car.We had cabins in a town 2 hours away for years and that was as long as I like. After that I am a bit antsy.We did 3 and a half hours to Mexico last week for dentistry and it was ok..we chatted, listened to music. But I get stiff and bored, and wanna get out of the car by then for sure!!!!!! We're trying to figure if we can do a Colorado road trip this early summer,from Phoenix to Denver and Loveland. We'd have to break it up so one day is not too full of driving , and I would HATE to be driving EVERY DAY so we need to stop longer in some spots. Road trips SOUND fun to me, but in actuality I am not that great on the road,neither is my husband.. so we nixed RV life a couple of years ago.. I THINK we can do the Colorado trip..?? We'll see....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, that would be a killer. We are lucky if we make 9 hours with a mandatory stop for lunch.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to drive long distances on the way back from vacations and the older we got the less we liked it. We'd done the Walmart parking lot overnight often, too, and never had a problem other than one time a bat flew in the window of our cab on our pick up truck where we were sleeping and our dog chased it back and forth before it found its way back out.

    Your photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Twelve hours! OW! We are like your normal- maxing at eight hours. I am glad you all could be with the rest of your family to say goodbye to your father in law. Those are so important for everyone. The gathering and memorial.
    Be safe on your way back. I like the idea of pulling off for a bit of sleep in the wee hours. That seems to be the most dangerous time to drive those longer hauls anyway. WE have been known to pull off at a truck stop and shut our eyes.
    God speed going home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a very long drive for sure. We've done it many times over the years here and sometimes even stopping off about 5 hours away to visit my late mom for several hours. But it is not something I enjoy. If I am not pressed for time we will overnight along the way. It really helps. So I definitely get where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara the photos are beautiful!! I couldn't do that 12 hr drive anymore either. If I were a passenger I'd fall asleep. I am like a baby in a car, put me in the passenger side and I'm out like a light. So 12 hrs would kill me even driving. Besides I just can't sit still that long. My husband went cross country in 2 days. I don't know how he did it. I'd have gotten out of that car a walking zombie. Glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An event like a family funeral/memorial motivates us to extend ourselves. The fellowship of family & friends takes some of the edge off the event & the effort to attend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!