Friday, November 17, 2017

Six (Mainly) Frugal Things!

I want to thank everyone who responded to my "honey and dear" thread. Obviously we all have different perspectives on this issue and I appreciate them all (although not being told to "move on"). My personal perspective on this is that each year it gets worse (the older I get the more honeys I get). So right now, my goal is to find  a way to dissuade this without become terminally rude or offensive myself, as I prefer to be kind. Onward and forward!

Meanwhile, it's been sunny and mid sixties here today in Denver. I got up much earlier than usual to accompany adult son to his pre-op appointment today (more below), so am experiencing my mid-afternoon I want to take a nap moment! As far as frugal and other things this week:

1.  Yesterday was a huge score on the passive earnings front. I made ten bucks in a quick half an hour while sitting down and watching TV, and then I purchased a one month trial of Barkbox for five dollars-and earned thirty dollars from Swagbucks in about five minutes. This was on top of my normal passive earnings routine so I am a very happy camper. I might end up keeping Barkbox for a while, but we will see. It depends on the ratio of toys to treats, I expect. We would prefer more of the former and less of the latter to keep Wilson's girlish figure. I'll talk about free trials in the future, but unless I love the box, I'll be cancelling after the first month. I also earned a $10 Amazon and $15 Target Card, $15 in Walmart credit and transferred $25 to my checking account this week.

2. I was overdue for an oil change and just happened to receive a $25 coupon yesterday from my local Nissan dealer-which expired today. I am now good to go for a much lower amount than my usual (I use synthetic oil). Less frugal and happy was the discovery that since my car is at 100 thousand miles and I hope to drive as close to another hundred as possible, I need to get my transmission flushed in the next month. For $250. But you know what? My car has been very, very reliable, and I knew as I hit that mileage mark that there would be things to be done. It's time to give car upkeep it's own monthly line item methinks.

3. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my son's torn labrum/separated bicep surgery will be much less intensive and have much less recovery than we first thought. Three arthroscopic incisions, an outpatient procedure, and a sling for two days. While I still suspect I'll be driving throughout our family trip down south, and he'll have the good stuff when it comes to drugs, he should be mainly fully functional again in less than a month.

4. While I haven't actually lessened my volunteer efforts as such, last night showed me that stepping back from Thursday night dinners was a good thing. It's an hour drive to the church in rush hour, for one thing.. While I am something of a night owl, I don't love to be out in the evening a great deal as such unless for a special event. My future volunteer gigs will be closer to home and much more advocating and fund raising oriented (except for my one morning with my homeless senior women). More frugal and flexible, both in terms of money and time. And equally needed.

5.  I spent the week comparing the Amtrak version of a rail pass to simply booking the route on my own, and actually think I come out ahead with the pass version. The question remains of course, once I get to San Francisco, do I go north to Seattle and Montana or south to California and Arizona and Texas and such!  Considering I'm talking March or April and I think I have more friends and bloggers on the southern route, that's my tendency at the morning.

6. Some DIY things are, of course more frugal than others, and cheaper than store bought does not in and of itself mean cheap. My many two inch square quilt requires alot of good quality fabric (which is why one quilted gift a year is my general limit). And while a handmade alpaca shawl is more unique and less expensive than one purchased from Etsy or a store or elsewhere at twelve dollars for a skein of yarn it may not necessarily be frugal. So I will thrilled to find out that I the gift I planned for all the distaff members of my family as well as my various groups, was both unique and cost effective-because I am one of those natural product girls who keeps large amounts of things like Shea Butter and Dead Sea salts on hand. Lavender salt and sugar scrubs and lotion bars?  Coming right up!

This weekend, I'm going to get my exercise walking the pathway that winds through Ikea, as we look to replace a few things. Other than that, a chili cook-off and church are the height of my social life this weekend. And so it goes!

Anything exciting or frugal in your neck of the woods?

11 comments:

  1. You had a great frugal week Barb. Congrats on the great passive earnings this week.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an unusually good one for me, especially yesterday. I was heading to bed and happened to see some four dollar surveys that were short-one of them about memory in folks over 55 lol. And of course if I keep that barkbox subscription, there will be no profit in the end.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did very well on your passive earnings. I doubt very much I could earn that or even whether the opportunity is available to me in Canada. One day I might look into it a little further but for now I focus on one or two loyalty points programs.

    I recently earned $175 in one program and will divide it into two shops. One is to buy myself an air purifier (also on sale when I bought it). The other shop will be used for daily needs (eggs, milk, paper products and such like). In the other points program I was able to get $50 off clothing but these types of coupons are getting harder to use since they are tied to spending by a deadline. I will only purchase if I really need something and if it is also on sale. This multiplies my savings. Fortunately I was able to buy some things for a niece for Christmas. I also had a few great deals on food items so I stocked up a bit on things I know I will use but don't use that often and which are expensive.

    I totally agree with you about the expense of quilting and knitting. I'm afraid I tend not to buy the best quality just average quality. I'd like more experience in both quilting and knitting before I spend more money on materials. I just never seem to make much time for either of these wonderful hobbies. Maybe in the new year.

    My biggest score recently was heavily discounted opera and symphony tickets. They were such a good prices that I got generous and purchased some for friends to join me at two of the events. I've never been so lucky before though I have been fortunate to receive gifted tickets which is also wonderful but not likely to happen again soon.

    I'm glad to hear your son's procedures and recovery won't be as bad as you initially thought and I hope he has a very smooth process all throughout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We each have to focus on what we can, although I understand Swagbucks has a large Canadian section. as I told Jackie, this week was unusual for me for sure! I agree some of the shorter dated coupons can be tough.

      You are wise to wait. When I first started quilting I only bought Joannes or Hancock type fabric on sale (for like two or three dollars a yard!

      Delete
    2. It's good to know about Swagbucks. I think I tried to venture there but that was already a few years ago. I need to look again ~ some day, lol. Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  4. I like your success in earning passive income and good news that the shoulder/bicep surgery will be small incisions for quicker healing for your son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got a little gift shopping done with some of those 40% and 50% off coupons. Other than that my frugality is mostly not doing other spending until the post-Christmas sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God for you on those copons. I think other than the things I am sewing and cookig I will be doing one really big Amazon order. I know, I know.......

      Delete
  6. Not sure it is in the frugal category but I gathered all the bank gift cards I had (Visa, MC, etc) with small odd sums left and applied them all to my Amazon account so as not to lose any funds.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!