Friday, January 15, 2021

Financial Friday

Happy Friday morning. I dunno about you, but I need at least one post with no political angst, worry, judgement or fear. 

Also I probably won't be posting until post inauguration after this. I need a bit of a rest and some self care so will return after Wednesday. Hopefully we have a smooth transition, praying and fingers crossed.

In my continuing effort to  be both frugal and increase sustainability, these are a few of the things on mt financial front this week, positive or not:

1.  90 percent of the time I am more than happy with my basic streaming only service and checking the news on my laptop/tablet a couple times each day and reading the Washington Post. Obviously this period in time is different. I have been trying free trial week and two week plans of all the larger streaming alternatives to take advantage of the news (my cable streaming service, Utube, Hulu Live, and now Sling).  If anything it has given me news overload, but I cannot see me continuing any of them right now, and they will end post inaugural events. So temporary free TV has been helpful but I will not move to the permanent cost.

2.  I've begun my monthly reimbursement for my part B Medicare, and $148 is heading to my bank account. This is an offering through my private secondary insurance which is not an advantage or supplemental plan. I've spent fifty of it in what is probably an unfrugal way (see laundry post below). The rest I plan to use towards a slightly larger counter top oven that will hold an eleven by seven casserole pan. I really don't see the need for convection or air fryer, but we shall see when I look. I was thinking that I should be doing some small apartment "prepping". But honestly I generally buy a couple canned items extra every time  I shop and I have not seen specific shortages of anything, although prices have risen. Said purchase will not be until mid February to keep my non spend January commitment.

3. I went through my fabric and found a host of smaller pieces. Anything that is at least eighteen inches is getting cut into napkins which I will make two sided. I am a messy eater especially in front of my  TV so these will get good use. If I have enough fairly coordinated sets I will forward them to family or save for gifting. Any pieces that are flannel will be cut and saved for wash cloths once I purchase the chenille or minky fabric to go on the other side.

4. I will have two free dinners this week, possibly with leftovers. While organizing my little desktop, I found two ten dollar outback gift cards (sent because of an order error back in Denver). Since cooking steak is not my forte and I no longer have a grill or a cast iron pan at the moment, this will get me a mainly free meal of steak, potatoes, salad and dessert (I expect to pay a tad more for the dessert inclusion, which is fine). In the normal times, Sequoia has a dinner in the restaurant area on  the third Friday of the month. Since we cannot eat together, today they have a take-away meal of salad and spaghetti and meatballs.

5. I cut my own hair again. At some point I will venture to the hairdresser or whatever. But I have (I think)  mainly managed the task of trimming my own nape, which was the only thing making me rush to a professional.

6. I am not normally a menu planner, but a grab what I have from the freezer or pantry for dinner type. I have been wasting more food than I would like, so I made a two week menu of lunches and dinners-breakfast not so much. Hopefully this will keep me from buying stuff I don't need (except for Hershey's kisses, lol)

7. My county does not offer recycling to multi dwellings, be they condos, high rises, apartments or whatever. I have valet trash and while they SAY they pick up cartons if they are tied together, I have no faith that these or anything else get recycled. I am trying to work on solutions (no large recycling spots) other than doing my best on the purchase side and fobbing some things off on my daughter's large recycling can at her house. Paid recycling pickup does not seem to be an option

8.  This morning I sent a large load including my comforter to the pick up and drop off laundry. Since I won't be going to D's house any time soon, I decided to take advantage of this on a one time basis and consider doing it once a month in the future. There is a small laundry room in the village. And I'm doing my due diligence in looking for washers and dryers with the goal of mid February delivery/installment. In theory I could do without a dryer as I dry many of my clothes by hanging them-but I have enough jeans and such that I really need both. Probably used (both electric). This is to date my only step off the ledge of the no spending except for food and supplies January commitment.

9.  According to the ever friendly and helpful IRS, my stimulus payment was mailed out on January 6 to my address of record. The IRS  being all knowing and that good stuff, I have no idea if that is here or the Denver address, so I am allowing up to three weeks for it to arrive, but probably guess more likely two. Much of that will go into the (new washer) sinking fund. But I really need new walking shoes (not sneakers as such) badly. So a good $150 of said cash will be spent down the road at the SAS shoe store getting new walking shoes. I also need a good comfy pair of around the house style Skechers at some point but that's a separate issue. Again, money will not be spent until February although put aside.

10. Oh, and stepping out of my box a bit on the menu thing, next week I am getting three hello fresh meals each for two people for a total of $22 plus tax and so on. these actually require cooking, Balsamic cherry pork chops, bulgolgi meatballs and a fancy sandwich and sides. Supposedly each has everything required, only takes 30 minutes max and all I need is olive oil and salt and pepper. If I like the meals the are great for the cost. The question, I suppose, is the packaging and if it is all reusable.



18 comments:

  1. Hi-

    I also have Medicare. How do I get the 148 dollar Medicare reimbursement om art B?

    I have a pair of SAS walking shoes. They are the brown leather ones and I paid 150 for them. They are extremely comfortable!

    First time checking out your blog and enjoying it.

    Linda
    https://bestoflongislandandcentralflorida.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda. Its something my private health insurance plan offers. Not sure any supplemental ot advantage plans do the same. Glad you stopped buy. Hope you stay.

      Delete
  2. We get the Medicare reimbursement up to $800 with our supplemental insurance. This year they publicized it well but it was pretty hidden before. Those shoes look great. I’ll have to remember to try that brand. Enjoy your seeing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't actually know what my max reimbursement is this year. I need to go to another website (wageworks) that manages it. It's not really income as such. GEHA also has an awards program -the rewards have to be spent at an FSA store but last year I got a heating pad and a wrist BP monitor. I will take advantage of what I can!

      Delete
  3. I have been getting some dollars off cards for various food companies like hello fresh and a one whose name escapes me right now. I am not sure I want to try them but the latest one from hello fresh is $90.00 so I may check that out.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dint think.im.going to like it as much as the other companies that have heat and eat options but I'll try it for one week.

      Delete
  4. We had a great washer/dryer combo in Hong Kong by LG in the early 90's. Looking at comments, they did not make the transition to the States well. Too bad, it would have been a wonderful solution to your washing situation.
    I make a two week menu as well. Well, really it is a list of two weeks of meals. Then we work the list, cooking, from the list, what we feel like eating that day. Seems to be working so far. We just cannot abide by,"today is Monday and on the menu is tacos." We are choice people.... not surprising.
    I'll have to look into a Medicare reimbursement....but the ""free for life" medical care we are supposed to get seems to cost the regular Medicare rate and care.
    We got our stimulus check, direct deposit, last week. Bought the light fixtures for our new house. My kids are paying for day care with theirs. The schools are open for day care, but not for classes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually need a decent sized washer and dryer for the large quilts u make and fabric and yarn projects. My menu is also fairly rough . I think the reimbursement only comes from.FEHB not the militaryband it's only half the year.

      Delete
  5. Seems like our streaming options are more complicated than ever -- so I hope you can find what suits you. I thought everyone recycled these days ... so I hope your county gets its recycling act together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are actually many places that don't have recycling or multi person dwellings. True in both Virginia and Colorado as well. And the counties don't provide trash services. We have a valet trash company.

      Delete
  6. We use cloth napkins most of the time. My sister is a quilter and made us a bunch of double-sided napkins. Some are seasonal, some have pizza or hot peppers or whatever, but they all feature different fabric on each side. The best gift ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a vision of sets of napkins for all the family next year. Four for each season. Om.also working on fabric paper towel.rolls but well see how that goes.

      Delete
  7. We've tried Hello Fresh, and think the flavor and quality of the meals are really good. Sometimes the prep work is longer than described, and there is certainly more waste than if you're cooking for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in the long run I will steak to the ready meals and prepared meals route. I dound a tecas company that delivers delish meals for two
      But at least ill.know the level of work with the other after this week and I can ways freeze ingredients if I need to.

      Delete
  8. I know at least three people whose stimulus was mailed on January 6th, none have changed their address but all are still waiting. Maybe the coup slowed down the mail. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bern owed for awhile. I'll be patient, lol.

      Delete
  9. If there is a Habitat for Humanity Restore anywhere nearby you might want to check out their offerings. I am constantly amazed at the brand new appliances they feature as well as the barely used donations they have to re-sell. Oftentimes contractors donate their excess from their housing developments and I have seen flooring, ceiling fans, fancy appliances, etc. And if they don't have it today they are constantly getting in new stock!
    Jeannine in Iowa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!