Sunday, November 4, 2018

What Does "Free" and "No Spend" Mean, Exactly?

I'm slowly working on that book list to go with the TV list. I get almost all of my library books on Kindle through Overdrive and Amazon, so my "your content and devices show everything I've done kindle-wise and kindle-unlimited wise.  I'd like to also post a list of everything creative in the past year, but I'm very bad about taking photos of things donated and gifted at times. The list may have to be written with two pictures.

Often, when I post my Five Frugal Things posts, someone will (usually by email) remind me that the library isn't really "free" because we pay for it with our taxes. Or they tell me that I paid for that stuff that I used from my stash to make free coasters.

Along with that, there are those that are convinced that a no spend day (week, month or whatever) is self defeating, because you will simply buy the stuff the next month.
While I could write a separate post on the value of stepping back, holding off spending and re-evaluating for a week or a month, there is some truth to their point, for some people

When it comes to the "free" or "I spent no money today" thing, on some level, those folks are right again. I mean, while I get lots of free things, lots of ways, most of the stuff in this house was paid for, at one time or another. On the other hand, thinking about that could make you crazy. I mean, suppose I tell you that I spent a money free day on Sunday (today). I 'm watching football and a Netflix show. I drank instant hot chocolate with whipped cream from my pantry and fridge,  and as I type am cuddled up with puppy and my quilt (truly free as it was made and given to me by my quilt group). Dinner will be pulled pork made a pork shoulder harvested from my freezer, cooked with a can of coke (on hand) and seasonings (in my pantry), with rolls and coleslaw (purchased today). In this case, everything but the quilt cost money-at some point. So, how to do the math?

Everyone has to figure expenses and out of pocket costs in a way that works for them, but this is generally how it works for me: With a few exceptions, I don't count anything that comes from my monthly base expenses as being extra or out of pocket costs. In my case this includes my share of the house rent (which also covers the property taxes that pay the library costs), gas/electric, cable bundle (which I'll give up when they stream European soccer live), my cell phone bill, the water bill. Also, those few subscriptions that I consider a necessity (which these days just includes Netflix and Prime).

I suppose there might be some exceptions. If I decided to do a huge Christmas display outdoors, I would include the electric cost. If I bought five new trees and had to hand water and soak them for a month, I would figure that into the cost. In general, I consider these to be my base costs. This month, total cost of all these bills-rent, cable bundle, electric/gas/water and phone- cost $1050 (a low water month and that single month that is in between air conditioning and heat. I also had no data on my phone, a rare occurrence). As far as gas for my car, I fill up at the exact same times. If I drove across the state to a festival, I would figure the cost. Otherwise, not so much. Yes, I know my bills are on the low side, but downsizing and sharing a two level home with one of us on each level was a choice, specifically because of this reason).

When it comes to stuff on hand, it works kind of like this:  I bought $24 worth of yarn on sale with coupons in order to make this blanket. There will be stuff left over from this, especially when it comes to the two secondary colors. If I use that extra yarn to make a project later down the line, I consider it a no spend item. This week, I made two doll quilts for my upcoming bazaar-out of fabric left over from other quilts. I knit a scarf from a skein left over from another projects. On the other hand, I did get a brand new skein of yarn in order to make a cowl, and as I figure my out of pocket expenses for the week, that will get included.



When it comes to groceries, I have a pretty steady monthly grocery bill based on shopping sales and loss leaders, filling my pantry and so on. Last week, I mentioned that I spent less than $30 on groceries for three people, and we ate from the pantry and freezer. Obviously, I paid for all those groceries once upon a time. But this week, my only expenses were those out of pocket ones mentioned earlier.

On the other hand, I recently bought those ten pounds of Land o Lakes butter for Christmas baking, a separate expense above and beyond normal grocery shopping or needs, even when stocking up. I'll also be getting nuts, real lime juice and other things to bake many, many dozens of cookies and other Christmas goodies. Those items, like other things, will fall under my Christmas budget. As the lobster tails I get for a birthday dinner fall under the entertainment budget rather than groceries.

When I buy the fabric this week to make my daughter's T shirt quilt, that will also fall under the extra spending category. If there is extra fabric left over to put on my shelf and I use it to make a small item, I'll consider that as a "no spend" project. This year, I plan to give my women's group hand salves-made with lotions and butters and oils on hand, and given in mini jars that are stored in my garage. I'll consider this gift no cost, with the exception of the new Christmas lids I'll put on the jars and any ribbon I add.

Finally, I don't count "volunteering with benefits". If I go to the local theater, sip a glass of free wine, hand out programs and generally point people in the directions of their seats, I get to see said play/concert/comedian for free. I consider that free entry. If I was still working an hourly wage, I suppose I might look at it from a different angle-although I doubt so as I wouldn't really be working during that time.

Everybody comes at these types of things from a different angle. As a frugal gal who often talks about frugality and no spending on this blog, this is where I (mainly) come from: Unless there are out of pocket expenses, or said expenses increase that base monthly bill number in any major way,  I consider my day no spend or "free". And when I talk about making something or doing something for free, or having a day when I didn't spend any money, this is what I mean, and where i come from.

Last week, I sat in the middle of my craft room/studio (whatever we're calling my small space that serves many functions each day). I looked around at all the supplies I had and made a large, stream of consciousness list of things I could make with mainly no cost (a few projects needed a small additional purchase). My list included coaster sets with leftover fabric, earring sets with beads and stuff on hand, lotion bars with essential oils and molds and other stuff on hand, and small projects made with bits of leftover wool. Obviously I paid (or was gifted in many cases) for the fabric, jewelry supplies, paints and pencils, essential oils and yarn once upon a time. Now, however, just like my food pantry, these are things of hand. So if I say I entertained myself without spending any money by trying to make my third pair of earrings,  I mean I didn't take any money out of my checking account today.

Tomorrow (Monday) I plan to finish those gift bags and work on my knitting. I have two books downloaded to my kindle from the library and don't know which one to begin. I plan to walk ten minutes around my house six times, and work out with the weights and bands in the basket on my reading table. Breakfast will be eggs and juice and English muffins, lunch will be leftover pulled pork and dinner will be a ham and potato casserole pulled from the freezer. In the evening I'll play on the computer and watch football.

While it might not be a free day, it's surely a no-spend one.

10 comments:

  1. You can call them anything you want---free days, no spend days, frugal days---I don't care. They're just interesting, how other people's minds work, especially crafters. I'll bet I'm one of your least frugal readers but I also don't believe in wasting anything so finding ways to use up left overs, whether it's yarn or roast beef, appeals to me.

    That $1,050 water bill for one month shocks me. When I have a %350 to $400 bill for the three months over the summer (total, not each month), I consider that high. Water is one thing I am frugal about. I HATE seeing it wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, that's the entire cost of my rent, water, electric and everything else!! I will change this to make that clear!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I say I have a no spend day it means that no money is taken out of the bank and spent that day. Yes things I use were previously bought and paid for but that was done on one of my "Spend" days.


    As a crafter anything left over is used up in another project. To me it is almost free in that I did not have to go out and spend more money getting the items necessary for that project. Waste not, want not is my motto.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know how to Not make this sound hokey but I can never discount the spiritual significance of "no spend" days for me. A no-spend day tells me that I have enough and I don't need to worry about getting more. Thanks to you and Jackie and many others from the old frugal living forum for firmly planting this notion in my brain as it has enriched my life - if not my bank account - greatly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with hokey, my friend. Yes, I love the frugal living forum.

      Delete
  5. I almost find humor in someone telling you that you are still spending.
    As a person who has lived all over, I find all kinds of "stuff" in my house to make other things from. Guess what? I spent money when I had it and now I don't. Simple as that.
    Your "no spend" or frugal days are interesting to read. Just keep up the good work. You have given me a number of ideas on what to do with my "stuff". Now I am off to restyle a silk blouse into a pillow cover--and not spending the $30 to buy one already made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I would definitely love to see that one.

      Delete
  6. I think your style of spending makes sense, and I must say the blanket and the photo are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your "no spend" viewpoint. Using what you already have always saves money and that is what the frugal lifestyle is all about. It takes discipline to figure out how to get by spending less, but not wasting the resources you already have builds wealth in the long run. In the end, it frees up money to get the things that REALLY matter. Keep sharing your good ideas even though not everyone understands. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!