Monday, September 17, 2018

Monday Morning-Frugality and Creativity

I read a lot of self defined "frugal" blogs. Many more than I have listed on the sidebar, although I am adding more as I go along. I suppose this might seem odd, me being the frugal retiree and all that. But you can always learn more!!

I actually read a large variety of blogs throughout the week. Retirement blogs (frugal and otherwise), baking and slow cooker blogs, travel and road tripping blogs, and art and craft blogs just to mention a few. I enjoy my allotted morning time, as I scroll through the blogs and websites of the day. But I have to say that the blogs, that draw me back the most often are the so called frugal blogs (whether the writers are frugal by necessity, choice, environmental reasons or all of the above)

Why?  Put simply, frugal people are creative and original. At a level beyond  many other folks, and often share more creative projects than some of my so called creative blogs do. Now, I'm not just talking about DIY stuff here, though that is included. I'm talking about creativity in all aspects of life. And since one of my internal goals is to be more creative across the board this year (as well as be more cognizant of waste at all levels), I look to these blogs for inspiration. Because another thing that is true is that creativity in general tends to inspire creativity.

Sometime back I read that studies show that creativity thrives best in a limited construct and my experience is that is true in my own life. Contrary to all those cooking shows that folks watch, if you tell me I can cook anything I want, I'm liable to stew for a good hour. On the other hand, if you give me a "chopped" scenario (for those who watched said show), and tell me I must use chicken and I have an hour, I fare much better and my end result will probably be more original. I can look at a closet full of fabric for days, but if I tell myself I simply must use up the leftover pieces of last year's fall fabrics in whatever I make for this year, I am on a roll.

Now, creativity doesn't have to do with cooking as such, or quilting. We can be creative in every life aspect, from travel to home management to hobbies to exercise. When we come up with original solutions that are unique to us, we are being creative. And frankly, necessity being the mother of invention is more than a cliche. I have been fortunate beyond belief to have visited  large numbers of museums and historical sites in Europe and the Middle East from my youth to late adulthood. I am always appreciative of the large cathedrals, beautiful art and more. But I am more appreciative when I learn WHY a certain castle/church or other building was constructed a certain way (often as much a result of necessity as art). And I am completely intrigued by the tools, dishes and like that were created to serve a specific purpose in a specific place. Especially in more ancient times.

One of my favorite blogs (I really need to link it up here),  Life After Money, is written by a truck driver who took early retirement and lives on a very limited income. Very creatively!! In fact, she just had her first art showing. And every single piece of art was made from reclaimed materials or thrift shop finds, from plastics to everything else, and her art is often backed with everything from metal mesh to shoe racks. She has even made a piece of art from parts of the body of a car. She also built her own summer house (she-shed to some of us) from found materials such as doors.


http://meanqueen-lifeaftermoney.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_8.html

But creativity comes in smaller doses as well. After spending just a few minutes this morning, I found all of the creative and mainly new (to me) ideas. Since my goal is to try as many of these as possible, rather than linking, I'll wait until I do my version and share, if that's okay.


  • How to make your own facial masks from things around the house
  • making fall decorative swags from found object in the yard and ribbon
  • Easily re purposing old sweaters into decorative pillows and pillow covers
  • How to use dried beans and popcorn and mini pumpkins to make a fall centerpieces
  • Methods for substituting boneless thighs in recipes that use chicken breasts (we prefer dark meat and recently got alot of chicken thighs for like $1.30 a pound. Is it me, or are chicken breasts getting large and thick month by month?). Something I probably should have thought of before but had not.
  • Multiple suggestions for cooking and freezing (including for just two) from large amounts of meat like my 90 percent ground beef that was on sale in a five pound roll (it will end up being individual lasagna and bacon casseroles).
  • More ideas for re purposing clothes or cutting them up before throwing out than I can count (not just from today)
  • How to turn my old brightly colored colander (rusted on the inside, not on the outside) into a hanging planter!
  • An idea of something creative to do with a group of completely mis-matched glasses I have that I don't want to donate. My version coming soon.
  • How to make both slime and scented play-dough for free from stuff at home or a few pennies of stuff from the grocery store. I plan to do this as gifts for the homeless shelter.
  • More fall decor and entertainment hacks than I can list here.
  • Interesting articles on "car camping". While I could not just stop at a rest stop, I could see outfitting my SUV a big and either using an occasional camping space or spending the night at a safe walmart between two RVs. Interesting for the discussion at least.
  • A group of healing skin recipes to make with basic drug store products and essential oils (along with being cheap, we have multiple allergies and sensitivities in this house, so homemade neosporin alternatives are a good thing, as Martha would say).
And that was just my Monday morning post breakfast wanderings. Unfortunately, what I did not find was an alternative to jelly for the million crab apples that now adorn my front lawn. Feel free to drop by my house and grab as many as you want. Seriously!!

I doubt that I will ever  have the time or the energy to try out every creative idea or solution I read about. But the more I read about other creative solutions, the more it  encourages me to try my own. This afternoon, I am going to try and cut some very bright, too big cotton dresses into sections to make gift bags. Failure or success, who knows?

13 comments:

  1. I am not frugal by any stretch of the imagination but I enjoy reading blogs about being frugal. In addition to being creative I think frugal people just like the challenge of doing things better and cheaper. And I know if I ever do need to start being more frugal there are lots of pathfinders out there to show me the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's something to try with the crab apples - juice. Sprinkle 6 tsp of cream of tartar over 3 qts of apples (washed & trimmed). Cover with 5 qts boiling water. Let sit for 24 hrs. Pour juice into a large pot. Do not squeeze fruit. Bring juice to a boil. Add 1.75 c sugar & boil again. Pour into sterilized jars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth is, I don't want to bend over and pick the darn things p, ya know!!

      Delete
  3. I like the way that frugal people look at the world - and life in relation to "stuff"! Have you read Alice Walker's essay, "In search of our mother's gardens" (pretty sure that's the name) about women and creativity?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her blog is inspiring. She is quite the character!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always thought of my mother being practically frugal as she grew up on a snow-country farm in horse and buggy days when self-sufficiency was vital for survival. She automatically continued many practices and so when the need arose in our family, it was just a matter of "tightening the belt" so to speak. We just grew up with not wasting, making something over, and imaginatively creating "something out of nothing." The latter creates some problems for me as I see other uses for much, so I want to save for future adaptation when what I probably should do is just throw it in the recyclable bin because I don't get to everything.
    Good to know there are so many sites dedicated to this, full of ideas I've probably never thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that there is much more information available about how others save money by being frugal. My parents were married during the depression and had no choice but to be frugal and they were old enough to be my grandparents. I am thankful for the frugal things my mother taught me, although for a time I thought I did not need to be. After being laid-off from work for two years, I learned that always striving to make more money to waste is not a very good idea. Save money in areas where it really doesn't matter in order to have the money to have or do the things that really are important. Taking better care of what is earned makes up for situations where raises are not forthcoming. My boss told my husband I am so tight that I squeak because I won't throw away things at the office that will have to be replaced. I don't think he meant it as a compliment, but I took it that way. I have worked for several wealthy people and have observed that most of them live beyond their means and are way more "broke" than I am. It is not always a matter of how much you earn, but what you do with what you have that creates truth financial wealth (meaning you can make ends meet and not be living under enormous stress wondering what to do). I believe that we are generous with family, friends and our church - which are what really matters most to me in the end. I became interested in reading frugal living blogs 15 years ago and still am today. Our missionaries to India tell us that people there pray for what we throw away.....a sobering thought wondering why of all people in the world we were allowed to be born in a country where we are so blessed! Thanks to the hardworking family members who came before us and our military for defending our way of life and even a very broken government system that is still better than most have!!!! I really enjoy hearing how you find ways to earn extra money, use what you have and be creative with the resources you have. I have gotten good ideas that I can use, but it is nice to know I am not alone trying to be frugal when so many people are not. It is much more accepted now than it used to be to be frugal, up-cycle and repurpose things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barb, depending on the type and sweetness of your crab apples you could can them whole in a light syrup. I did this years ago with some yellow skinned crab apples and they were so good. Can them skin and all, I did.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crabapples can be used to make pectin. The pectin can be canned and used instead of buying pectin. Maybe you can convince someone to pick them up and you can give them pectin. Win/win.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!