Monday, August 8, 2016

Less Travel and Much more Vacation-Dealing With the Texas Heat

My apologies folks, typing on my portable device and because of auto spell have had to fix this more than once. Hopefully three times is a charm.

As a person who loves summer, there's heat, and then there's HEAT. Which is another way of saying that one of the advantages of road tripping, especially spontaneous, single  road tripping is that you get to change your mind. And your itinerary.

Colorado heat is dry. Phoenix heat is dry. Texas heat, even in the north, even in Hill Country is humid, like a blanket, and makes you sweat buckets before you are even out the door.

All of which is to say that I have come to a convention in Houston the first three days in November. And since October fest and antique markets are one of the highlights of fall in texas Hill Country, I'll simply head down a full week or more early and enjoy some slightly cooler travel weather.

Meanwhile, I had a special drive on the way down through New Mexico, and am planing multiple side routes on the way home by way of Palo Duro Canyon. My daughter and I are pampering ourselves, eating out and more. And that trip to see my father in law that's far overdue? Will be a more extended stay, with mimosas and more as I sit next to (or even in) my sister in law's beautiful, in ground pool.

And so it goes this week in retirement. In Texas. In August.

11 comments:

  1. Ha ha. Texas. In August. No thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, it actually is beautiful for summer vacationing and I an loving it for water, sun, eating out and entertainment. For grabbing a backpack and is exploring, not so much.

      Delete
  2. I can understand why you changed your mind. It has been remarkably hot and humid here in Ontario, with a drought on top of everything else. We have commented more than once, that it seemed like a Texas summer. Enjoy the Palo Duro Canyon area. We had a wonderful visit there three years ago. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your previous blog, I thought to myself Barbara is really into those mimosas. Thanks for the clarification. Enjoy the sauna knowing that Colorado will hopefully feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, understand that post meno, my body has basically rejected wine and beer, leaving me with some major headaches.....allergies or whatever. I can still drink liquor in moderation-go figure. So while I have sparkling water with dinner, the occasional Bloody Mary or mimosa works for me.

      Delete
  4. You're singing my song. Dying down here in Texas. Of course, I'm not lucky enough to know anything to compare it to. If anybody wonders why they invented Air Conditioning - just one trip to Texas will answer that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Just discovered this website. I will be traveling to San Antonio from New York this week and hope the weather is not too bad. Have not checked yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you haven't been there before, swing by Silver City, NM for great antiques and small town life. It is about 45 minutes north of I-10 and Lordsburg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a lot of fun traveling ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To make a comment and respond to Barbara's comment. Yes,we've been to Texas, about 20 years ago now, in the July and boy was it hot. We were told the temperature isn't as bad in August. A lovely state and we enjoyed our stay there very much despite the temperature of which, you must know, we in the UK aren't used to.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your trip. I remember Texas in October -- especially San Antonio -- many years ago -- a hot, sticky humid night with the biggest mosquitoes I'd ever encountered.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!