Monday, January 5, 2015

When The OneThing You Want-Is the One Thing You Cannot Find

I am not a fashion plate as such.  I love to look good, but I identified my own style some time ago. While I regularly purchase inexpensive trendy accessories to go with my clothing, my style is written pretty much in stone. 

I wear black knit pants in various stages of dressiness and length, along with comfortable jeans and the occasional sweats around the house. I wear only knit, unstructured tops in bright spring and occasionally fall colors. In the warm weather I tend to long,casual flowy dresses to keep me cool, along with some shorts.

Whats the problem you may ask?  Here's the thing. I also like to have a couple simple knit skirts, pencil style, to wear from the late fall to winter into the spring if necessary.  My old skirts finally died, and I am here to tell you that at least so far, the only skirts that exist are above the knee black skirts, pencil  skirts with slits to places my  up daughter would not show, or full skirts. I have looked EVERYWHERE for a simple below the knee length knit skirt-to no avail.

Now, I can wear an above the knee skirt with tights, and that is what it seems I will end up doing. However, that limits my season to season wear, as I have many, many scars on one knee. While I am not overly self conscious, I would rather not share said scars at dinner, dancing, or business meetings.

Perhaps I'm showing my age, but a simple mid length black skirt is kind of like the little black dress or black or navy dockers for men. They fit well, look good on almost everyone, and work for almost every occasion.

This is why keeping those basic sewing skills is a good idea. Now if I could just get those darned clothing merchandisers to realize that some classics should not be messed with and some of us will choose our own style, thank you very much!

8 comments:

  1. This is the main reason I have started to make my own clothes. I can never really find what I want.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having computer problems in this frigid weather! Please try Lands End for a skirt if you like their styles. I personally order from them at least twice per year.

    Hope you will be blogging more this New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. I do shop lands end but in this case they do not have a slim mid calf skirt. Just a very drapery one which is not my need. I believe I'll be sewing this one. And yes, I do plan at least two blogosts per week in the new year.

      Delete
  3. LL Bean has some nice basic ladies clothing also.But if I could sew I'd just make my own!! Lucky you with sewing skills!! Also--where do you get flowy dressed for summer?? I could enjoy dressing like that for summer. We had a patient in our old office ,age 80 something, she sewed the most beautiful,basic sundresses out of gorgeous cotton and sometimes knit fabrics..maybe I could try..?? I don't even have a machine though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madeline, sorry or not answering earlier. I have three bias cut knit skirts that are long, that I love, one in a stripe, one in gray and one in blue. Loose, semi flowy and I just add a t or tank. Most of my long flowy dresses are maxi dresses that were hemmed about six inches.

      Delete
  4. I have the same problem you describe - I can't find the clothes I want to wear. It seems that most stores completely ignore the needs of women over 55, which is hard to understand because we are the largest demographic and have the most money to spend. I have resorted to mail-order catalogs like Lands End, LLBean, Draper and Damon, Coldwater Creek, etc., and placing orders by phone. I am so glad I have a more or less contemporary sewing machine to rely on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe check out some consignment shops. Lots of nice clothes end up there because of people changing sizes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!