Thursday, January 2, 2020

New Year, New Decade?

Apparently it's an honest debate. Does the decade end or begin on the 0 years. The consensus seems to be even. Personally I tend to think of the 1 as in 21 as the beginning of the decade in my own head. But then again, I think of 1900 as the beginning of the 20th century......

Unsurprisingly, this was another year when I was not physically awake to welcome in the new year. Not the first, and I suspect it will not be the last. Ever few years depending on where I am and what I am doing I hang on to celebrate but this year was not one of those. And yet somehow, it managed to happen without me.

Surprisingly, especially if you know me, I watched not an iota of football yesterday. It may be the first and only time other than those few years when you could still not get American sports streamed on European TV. Instead I  watched multiple episodes of the Netflix show Virgin River (based on a series of books by Robyn Carr. Occasionally I read things other than police procedurals), relaxed, read, knitted a bit and worked on finishing up some Christmas cookies and chocolates.  On New Year's eve afternoon I did go to see Star Wars again with the rest of the family who had yet to see it, it was worth the second look, I figured. Besides, movie popcorn and candy! At fifty percent off day.

As for today, well it's eleven and here I am still in my jammmies in the big chair. This afternoon I'm off to a post holiday coffee visit with my gal group (hot chocolate in my case) but first I'm trying to get the month (heck, next week) a little organized in my mind. It's nice to have that big annual goal list up there for reference, but I do much better looking at things on a weekly or monthly basis rather than trying to see the big picture. Because my attention span when it comes to the future can sometimes be five minutes long. 
It always takes me awhile to get up the nerve to make that first mark on a notebook or journal or calender-it looks so pristine.


While I, and  I suspect all my readers, know scheduling and planning is not my strong suit, I decided that I would do better with certain plans in the new year if I just scheduled them into my day. As a rule I'm a seat of the pants type of gal unless I have a truly scheduled event. But I've figured out that I do much better if I know that on Monday I'm supposed to straighten out my bathroom, so it kinda sorta becomes a habit (and if I don't do it I darned well forget about it until next week). And since I have finally found what I think is the unplanner's planner, I've scheduled a few things that I want to do each week. Like workout Monday, Wednesday and Friday. And watch at least two classes in my great courses class each week. And do yoga. In a perfect world this will get me into the habit of simply getting up and going to the rec center on those days. 

But then away I go 


So when it comes to my goals for the next month, I want to work out three day a week, finish one of my online courses, knit one project, sew one project, and make it a mainly no spend month (more on that tomorrow).

But nowhere on that list is getting out of my jammies before noon on the day after New year's day. As such.

19 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara! And Happy 2020 to you! I didn't make it to midnight either...didn't even try. I'm much happier when I get a good night's sleep and can start out the New Year well rested. And Kloe (my dog) doesn't let me stay in my PJs for long cuz after about an hour or so she starts staring me down until we take a walk. I'm with you on NO FOOTBALL and am very happy that Thom isn't into either. We have a new project (the unveiling is tomorrow) on my blog so we spent the day doing that. Good for you for at least making a "date" to do things that you think are important for your future. I really, really, believe that our future is in our hands so you're off to a good start. ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right about when a new decade starts but I made that mistake in my last blog when I posted resolutions for the next decade. Oops. 2011 through 2019 and the 2020 year makes the tenth year of a decade.

    I made a mess of my first entry in my day planner, kind of want to get another but it will soon have other messes to join it I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I already crossed of something cause I put it in the wrong place!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the new year is off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jammie days (or at least until noon) are necessary. Sometimes putting on a damned bra is just too much work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I figured the New Year would arrive with or without me, so I went to sleep. I'm in the camp that says the old decade has ended and the new one has begun with 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The decade ends at the end of this year! I have a small purse day planner Where I note all dr. appointments, free lunches, free breakfasts and the monthly free dinner. I plan everything else around those events. Writing things down is a must now, but 40 years ago, even 2 years ago, I could remember a month's worth of events!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a dollar tree calander I keep on the kitchen counter to reference upcoming appointments, when bills are due, when the hubs gets paid and meal planning. It's already broke in with a scratch out and a rewrite.

    I also use assorted composition books for different things to keep track of like (1)paying down debt, (2) tracking weekly eBay sales, (3)recipes (4) and.... one that I write down every idea or thought that I want to get done in the near future. For example, new lighting for hall, new lighting for foyer, new towel bar for hall bath, etc.

    Having typed all that, maybe I need a composition book to organize myy composition books lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Years as go someone told me in a class that you should have a single book for everything and it actually works for me. This one has a page for journaling and for all that other stuff. I do also keep calendar stuff on the phone and all my financial transations and records are online cause I dont use cash. The downside is I need a purse to fit it in.

      Delete
  8. My list of chores for the week were completed in my planner before the new year hit. I also got my extra cleaning list and goal list done for the month. I am a cross it off type of person once the job is complete. Makes me feel as if I am doing something.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snd you also do so very much more than I do, bless you.

      Delete
  9. Good for you! I signed up for Weight Watchers (Tues mornings at 9:30 am) and looked online for aqua classes at an affordable rate. Now to find an older, overweight and out of shape walking buddy.

    I put everything on my iCalendar so it's on my phone and computer. I do miss the feel of using paper and color pens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also use my phone calendar but I am a very visual.person and want to write things down on the go..From thoughts to pattern ideas to whatever...

      Delete
  10. Barb, I like what's on the right side of your daytimer - looking forward to; feeling inspired by; biggest challenges to overcome; successes & highlights; lessons learned/to improve; need to let go of. A neighbor noticed my daytimer on my table one day and commented, "What do you need a daytimer for? You're retired." Even a retiree needs to manage his/her time. I'm a big believer in doing time so time doesn't do me. Weekly commitments marked on the calendar help to ground my week. A record of daily accomplishments provide fodder for the question - What have you been doing? The new daytimer was updated yesterday with the carry overs from last year and one new entry, a concert in March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like using my phone for the basic appointments and such, but I need the reflection area, the list area and everything else plus Im visual...

      Delete
  11. Love your ambition. I am right in the midst of cleaning out and downsizing. I swear, I downsize every few months. Looks like I'd get rid of some of this stuff. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for your visit and comment, Barb. I have a calendar booklet like that too that I live by. I've already added my dates as well. Gosh! 2020!!! Isn't it amazing?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!