Friday, January 3, 2020

Frugal Friday-A New Budget for The New Year

This morning I was kicking myself!

 I've decided that I'm on a no new clothing plan for the rest of the winter with a couple exceptions. I'm allowing myself a couple pastel sweaters because I am VERY low on sweaters in decent condition (as in not around the house stuff).  So for the last week or so, Macy's has had a big sale on sweaters and two of them, including the one below were just at $17 each. Being me, I assumed it was an end of season sale and it might go lower, so I left it in the bag. Today, said sweater was back to $49.00.  That'll teach me!  In fact I desperately need a couple sweaters so I will probably get it if it does not go down.  But darn!!!! 


In other news, it's revamp the budget time again,  and this year (especially for the first six months) it's definitely a tightening of the tape measure plan. After some deep thought, I returned to my federal retirement insurance high option plan, and dropped my no fee Medical Advantage plan, increasing my outgo by $200.  I'll write about this in the next few weeks in a separate post, sharing my thinking and research.

In addition, for the next five months, I'll be helping my son with his rent (he pays a half of a share based on the amount of time he is here and the handyman type stuff he does around the house). I do this consciously and willingly. He has decided that he will remain here even if I go, and also where he wants to live, so I do this to enable him to save every teeny penny towards the cost of a down payment, pet deposit/rent, and all the furniture and household stuff he will need to acquire.

I also need to be putting money aside for myself. While I'll probably be with my daughter for a couple months late next fall as I begin looking at where to live (and saving because she wont let me pay for anything except perhaps some restaurant outings), I will not be taking  much of the furniture that I have here, and so will need new living room furniture and a new bed and matres and box spring at a minimum (I am happy to scavenge sales and thrift stores and online offerings for much of the rest).

So yes, the budget, it has changed:

1. My fixed expenses-both rents, my share of cable/rent insurance/gas/electric/water, car insurance (after comparison shopping), and my phone now top out at right around $1400 (health insurance comes out of my pension and social security before I budget). Without my son's share it is closer to $1100,  and obviously dependent on season and other things. Since I am naturally cold blooded, that electric and heat is higher in the winter than in the summer when I can live with an air conditioner average of about 77 degrees with ease. While my temporary assistance to my son is upping the average, I am reminding myself that a two bedroom apartment without my sister will run somewhere in the $1200 range in Texas so this is probably good training even though other costs like utilities will be much lower.

2. This leaves me at right around $1200 (possibly more) for everything else (If I've done the math with the SS increase vs Medicare increase correctly). This includes some debt (small parent student loan debt, car repair loan, etc), savings, and all unfixed expenses including groceries, personal care, entertainment, clothing and other stuff including minor medical co pays. I got the high option insurance to avoid the co pays.

3. My goal is to get back to $70 a week for groceries. This includes dinners for two or three four to five times a week, lunches, and breakfast for two (plus the wine). I could possibly do this for less and eat well, but I want to cut down the eating out while I'm at it. See below.

4. I'm cutting down the dining out and entertainment until late spring-both for my waistline/health and for the savings. While I'm still doing happy hour every Thursday (where I tend to have just a drink and avoid dinner (because I have it at home) and bar food, I have cut down the lunches in my gals group (because I'm the organizer and I can do that) an added more things like a craft and chat, a five dollar movie afternoon, and the like. And it seems I'm not the only one in the group that appreciates the budget cuts. I'm not a winter sports person and don't like to drive in the dark in the cold weather so this is not nearly as painful for me in January and February in Colorado as it would be during the summer.

5. My goal isto do a month by month budget between now and the first of June, planning for Valentines, birthdays, special occasions and everything else I can think of, and then put all the unplanned money into a separate checking account I can access as needed (since much of this money will be used by the end of 2020).  Monthly that will always include the above grocery money, gas expenses, haircut and pedicure (a medical expense in my case), monthly specific expenses, and whatever amount I've allowed for entertainment. I won't shoot myself if I use the other money, but having it in a different account (with a different attached card) will make it conscious and more thoughtful...........or so I tell myself.

6. I am allowing myself some extra spending in the first couple of months. This is for fabric and yarn supplies. Some will be used simply to keep me busy during the nights when it's dark out and the TV is my friend, and the rest will be used to purchase supplies to sew things to sell through re-opened my Facebook page (which will be called Frivolous Necessities). I plan to concentrate on memento sewing (T-shirt quilts and things sewn from wedding dresses other things) and  mainly sustainable and decorative products made nicely (fabric napkins, cloth paper towels, tote bags, table runners). I'll be making what I like and selling them. No custom work this time. Sew where I want, what I want, when I want.

And there you have it. Feel free to tell me if you think there's something I did not address in  these general budget guidelines for the first half of 2020. I'm happy to share specific numbers and answer questions in the comments and will probably let you all know how this is working and how much I spent in the notes, but I figured this post was long enough!!!!!!!!

Happy Weekend, all!

27 comments:

  1. Last year was the first year I kept track of my spending. I should have done it for at least 2-3 years before retirement. I certainly learned about myself. :)

    Your budget doesn't appear to be missing anything that I can see. Shame about the sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to start tracking my spending, if there was ever a year this is it since I'll be moving next year and I'll need to know where I can cut down.

    I haven't bought anything new to wear in eons. I must have been born without the fashion gene. I just don't care about clothes. But next winter I'm going to buy a bunch of new things for my new life after I move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dress pretty darn casually...knot pants and nice leggings with longer sweaters mainly in the winter but I am extremely color conscious..

      Delete
  3. I am curious why you went high option on your insurance. We have the lower cost (standard option) BCBS and with Medicare there are no co-pays. Also they refund part of your Medicare fee if you submit the paperwork. Might that work for you too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may regret this and go back to standard. It's a one year experiment. High option has the better drug program according to the consultant I spoke with and I anticipate one possible esoteric drugs. If it's a waste I'll go back.to standard. Either way I'm happy to leave my one year medical advantage program aside....

      Delete
    2. So after a quick look. GEHA refunds 600 dollars only at the high option and the high option leaves me with basically much better prescription costs. I'm not willing to go to another insurance but I will reevaluate this after a year....

      Delete
  4. You have some great plans here Barb.
    I have asked this before---but forgot what the answer is. Your feet are the way they are because of the military. Correct? Have you been evaluated by the VA??? Any drugs that are for things that started with the military, including RA, can be completely covered by the VA.
    Something to explore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. I'm a overweight out of shape gal.whose got severe arthritis in her ankles...knees as well but ankles much worse.

      Delete
    2. But...didn't it all start when you were in the military? Women really under use their rights at the VA. There is a huge drive here to get women in and go over their old records and get them the help the men have gotten for a very long time.

      Delete
  5. Like you I have missed out on some great clothing deals thinking they might stay the same or go even lower.
    Looks like you have a pretty good grasp on your budget for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I review our budget every year also.We tend to splurge at the grocery store to avoid eating in restaurants.We love good meals but not at restaurant prices and we rarely have a great meal out anyway. We keep it to lunches in our fave ethnic places where we know the food is great (Guru Palace Indian Buffet, Aloha Kitchen plate lunch..) and eat at home mostly. Luckily, cooking is a HOBBY for me, so that expense covers TWO CATEGORIES! LOL! I shop at consignment stores only when I get the clothing itch and I am trying to swear off any clothes buying in 2020.I truly have ENOUGH!! Travels expenses,even for just USA travel, eat up some budget but, we worked all our lives to enjoy some travel time so we watch but we do go places we want to go.Neither of us are extravagant by nature.we did go down to ONE Car.. a huge goal of mine for the past two years.. finally got the DH on board and we’re doing great with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea, those travel expenses add up. I wish I loved to cook but I am getting better about cooking. I have a few things I need to buy right now clothing wise (mainly soft knit pants/legging cause jeans are severely irritating to my knees and ankles so I am moving to various knits and a coupe deep discunted sweaters) and them im going to challenge myself to go used only on the blog through spring.

      Delete
  7. Great plans. We have not even started looking at the budget for this year as of yet. I do know I want to try and reduce costs as far as groceries, and fuel for the vehicle are concerned.

    I also plan on using up what I have craft wise.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In actually ordering g stuff as we speak. Sigh.

      Delete
  8. Good for you for revamping the budget. So your sister and son are staying in the house? I bet they will miss having you to cook!!

    I did a budget for the kidults for help while they are looking for jobs. I'm asking $800 for rent (for four people and a dog) and $600 for groceries. Then their cigarettes, medical, gifts and hobbies are now on their tab! The boys are growing like weeds, so I will buy their clothes and shoes for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. My son is moving to an apartment and what will happen with my sister she has not decided. I told her I would make my final decision by march first...you do so much for them!

      Delete
  9. Budget looks great! I am trying to track all spending in 2020 (carrying a little notebook with me to write down when I spend money out and about), stick to living on my retirement budget (that is, what I will have to live in next year after I retire in December '20), up retirement savings and buy nothing new! (No clothes in 2020! And if I really need something -- which is frankly highly unlikely -- I will buy at a thrift store).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sood for you. I'm working on no clothes until warm weather with a couple exceptions..

      Delete
  10. Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Thank you for sharing great information to us.
    v9bet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello all viewer online HIV has cure but doctor said Hiv/Aids has no cure until i met Dr SAYO who help me in my life. I was infected with HIV/AIDS in 2008, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution, so that my body can be okay. until this faithful day as i was browsing the net I saw a testimony on how Dr.SAYO helped people in curing HIV Disease, quickly I copied his Email which is sayoherbalhealer@gmail.com so i contacted him for solution for my HIV, so Dr.SAYO told me that his going to prepare herbal medicine for my health, then he prepared the medicine and luckily after two week my Hiv/Aids was be cured. Dr SAYO is well recognize as one of the best herbalist doctor in Africa, you don't have to be sad anymore or share your tears anymore on this disease when the cure have already be found by Dr.SAYO herbal medicine, he so cure HERPES,CANCER, ALS,HEPATITIS B, DIABETIC check his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Sayo-Herbal-Healer-100145798345000/ OR visit his websites website; http://sayoherbalhealer.website2.me/ check blog: https://sayoherbalhealer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dr Moses Herbal medicine is a good remedy for herpes simplex virus cure. i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by DR Moses, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Familiar, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how DR Moses cured them, when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine via UPS ( Delivery service ) to me and i drank it, seriously it worked for me, am a free person now without any problem, my HERPES result came out negative... Contact him if you need his assistance email him ehichioyaspelltemple@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348057508654 

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greatest thanks to Dr Oyagu for his herbal drugs that he prepared for me and when i start using it in just 2weeks i was completely cured and that ended my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE i am so happy and grateful to Dr Oyagu . after reading about him on a testimony of Jason Cash on a blogger. i knew suddenly Dr Oyagu was the right Doctor to cure my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE. i discuss with Dr Oyagu and he prepared a herbal medicine for me and when it got sent to me in south korean . i used the herbal medicine and 2weeks and i went to check up again. after 15years of suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 at last i am smiling once again. Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from your suffering. contact his WhatsApp line: +2348101755322 or his Email:Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greatest thanks to Dr Oyagu for his herbal drugs that he prepared for me and when i start using it in just 2weeks i was completely cured and that ended my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE i am so happy and grateful to Dr Oyagu . after reading about him on a testimony of Jason Cash on a blogger. i knew suddenly Dr Oyagu was the right Doctor to cure my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE. i discuss with Dr Oyagu and he prepared a herbal medicine for me and when it got sent to me in south korean . i used the herbal medicine and 2weeks and i went to check up again. after 15years of suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 at last i am smiling once again. Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from your suffering. contact his WhatsApp line: +2348101755322 or his Email:Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr OYAGU for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email.Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or Whatsapp him via +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr OYAGU for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email.Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or Whatsapp him via +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  18. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for his great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And i Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have The Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!