Friday, January 31, 2020

Monet and Dinner

Man, we have had three fully cloudy gloomy type days. I know I shouldn't complain, on account of all the sunny days Colorado has, but I've gotten spoiled I guess. I mean, Saturday and Sunday are both supposed to be highs of 67 and sunny. Today was not bad. I stayed home most of those three days, but somehow managed a cold but fun evening in the "city" (see beow). I do seem to be having more difficulty going between the tempertaure extremes and that may be one of the (many) reasons I am ready to move.

On top of that, I've been unable to type for almost a week. The keyboard that goes to my tablet died and I was able to do no caps or uppercase and half the numbers were kaput. It was a thirty dollar keyboard though, and I had used and abused it for a long time-so it was time to spend another thirty! I just cannot type blog posts or letters or long emails or much f anything else on my phone. I admire those who can, but that ain't me.

Life has not been all clouds and misery though. I finalized my mini quilt and was ready to sew-and then I decided I wanted the shells and the sea turtle to be smaller so I'll be going back to the drawing board on that one. I've done more than my share of reading and went to my traditional happy hour.  Best of all we went to a stupendous (Using the big words as my son would say) museum exhibit and a fantastic dinner.

Here at the Denver Art Museum, we've had an exhibit of Monet's works since the beginning of the fall.  This is the only place where it will be, and it's a one of  kind thing because a good half of what is being shown is private collection pieces that are not often seen. Tickets went fast and we dilly dallied and "whoops" they were gone. Until my brother and sister in law (who are members) got a special notification.  For three weeks in January the museum would open in the evenings for members and their guests only to view the collection. That was us, so off we (happily) went.

Unfortunately (for you, not for me), I am not one of those folks who wanders through the museum taking photos. Rather, I am the person standing and staring at a certain picture to the point that I have to be reminded to move along on occasion.  I also tend to find those little educational speakers more of a distraction than a help much of the time.  I did take some quick snaps of a few, because they were not in the vein of some of the more traditional paintings and even one picture just because it's the town just north of Amsterdam where my brother's company is headquartered. 








Afterward, of course, there was dinner. I mean since we went "downtown" we needed to check out some new cuisine, and so we did. At an Israeli restaurant that has been heralded as one of the best new restaurants in the city (which has  more than a few popping up daily). Some of the menu was traditional Mediterranean with an updated israeli twist (like we had falafel, but it was so filled with herbs that the inside was green).  Others, new to me.  Our small plates included green yogurt cheese with seasonings (Greek I think) a salad that was made from roasted peppers (Bulgarian) traditional Baba Ganoush, hummus with wood roasted mushrooms,  traditional falafel and lamb kebabs that were really ground meat balls with pine nuts and twenty other seasonings that I could not possibly identify,  and a deep fried eggplant dish. And bread. So much bread. I'm sure I missed something here. They were all appetizers or small plates, so there were many.   For those who may not know, if it's food I eat it. I can count one one hand the things I absolutely do not eat.

Eggplant dish


Hummus with roasted mushrooms

I suppose we should  not forget the shared dessert. Something called a chocolate and hazelnut Babka with salted caramel. As well as a cocktail called a cabin fever that included spiced run, cold brew chai, Benedictine, egg whites and nutmeg.  

Because if you're gonna go, go all the way.

Back soon. Because I can type now!!

19 comments:

  1. WOW! what a great evening to share and an exciting meal. Thanks for the photos!

    I was lucky enough to travel to Paris to meet my sister's first born (1990) ... and we packed a picnic and took a train to enjoy at Monet's gardens in Giverny. Such a hick from Ohio! It was fabulous, I have my first fresh fig and the memory of that day is still crystal clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Monet and yes we had a lovely time. All treated by the brother, bless him.

      Delete
  2. Monet is my favourite of all painters and you got to see some lovely paintings.

    I always say my fingers are just too fat for the tiny key board on my phone so I understand your dilemma.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Monet. That was a nice outing. Eggplant and okra and fat never pass my lips. Then, there are things I am allergic to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three of the four things on thise five fingers are allergies. I was raised by gourmet experiential eaters and married one so I'm all about the foot. And healthy fats are good for me.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I like healthy fats and unhealthy fats which I try to avoid. I mean a huge bite of fat on meat or a little bite.

      Delete
  4. I am so envious of you seeing a Monet exhibit! And that food...I can practically taste it.

    I can't type on small keyboards either I love my curved, full-sized key broad and giant monitor screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually thrilled to have moved to large tablet and keyboard and gotten rid of a regular laptop but the phone is much to small.

      Delete
  5. I would so love to see a Monet exhibit. Unfortunately my city is too small to attract such experiences. That meal seems absolutely delicious with the exception of mushrooms...not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - how marvelous to be able to see that exhibit and have such an amazing dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monet and delicious food -- what a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you to see all those Monets. I'm a picky eater, though (for picky read "boring") and would probably pass on most of those dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm adventurous but was raised by adventurous eating parents. And my kids have mainly followed suit

      Delete
  9. Each of those paintings you show is a gem, and I would enjoy that restaurant, I am sure. I spent a lot of time over a period of months in the Monet museum in Paris where they show his water lilies and pond paintings in an oval room so you are surrounded by the canvases. What a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  11. Overtime I am in DC I stop in to see Monet. I'll have to google the second and bottom ones- beautiful.
    Love , Love, Love Israeli/Arabic foods. I am now drooling all over the keyboard--thanks a lot. LOL. (Proof reading is not my strong suite.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!