Monday, January 27, 2020

Experimenting and Adjusting.

As I sit here in my fleece pants and my "never wear out of the house sweater because the color is so ick", I am eternally grateful for grocery pick up. No matter the five dollar fee.

I don't want to leave the house, I don't want to change my clothes. But the dog. Well, right now the dog has dry food only. And even if I feed him extra dry to make room for the calories, the look he will give me wily break by heart (which is easily broken by dogs as it is). So this after noon I will run to my car, drive the quick distance to the grocery and sit in the car and smile while the nice guy or gal loads a case of choice chunks in gravy canned food into my car (in fairness I did add ice cream and toppings for the soup below).

On another front, a certain person in this house has been bugging me to make loaded potato soup for a year now. Something I have, mind you, never made. Experimentation, here we go. Since I didn't want to leave the house and the soup had to be started this morning I raided the freezer and other stashes. Be forewarned here, some of the things I put in this soup probably slides into what other people consider "convenience items". I know I have some serious hard core cooks who read this blog who would never consider buying frozen chopped onions versus buying them. Readers, my hat is off to you. Me and knives, well........let's not talk about that.




So. I had a large bag of Simply Potatoes (fresh potatoes diced in a bag basically, I was going to use them to make home fries). I added a carton of vegetable broth, and a small frozen bag of mirepox blend vegetables (chopped carrots, celery and onions). They are now doing their thing on low. At some point I'll use my super de dooper immersion blender to mash some of the taters and then add chopped ham, and cream cheese and cream. Like I said, I did get some sour cream and green onions, and bacon and cheese for topping, I'm till trying to decide if I should add some cheese to the actual mix. And what does one serve with potato soup anyway? I guess this is a time for the cooked vegetable girl to move to a salad. I'll let ya know how it goes.

While I'm experimenting and changing things up, I'm not at all sure I love this yarn after knitting up a good inch of it yesterday. At least not for this top. I may be moving to a lavender, periwinkle or even a cream lord knows. I think this top needs a solid, but maybe that's just me. 








As for the mini quilt, yesterday was a crazy church meeting day. Even so, I've attached a sun and drawn and cut out a whale's tail  and a starfish (the colors may not be accurate to mother nature, I may need to change that starfish from pink)  I was thinking of adding a seahorse, but now I think I'll stick with various shells including a sand dollar and then I have a bunch of small glittery seashell buttons to so on-I decided to do all the pretty stitching on the top after everything else is done. And fabric paint. There will also be some paint.





But first I need to finish my  very late morning (almost noon) snack. Heated and buttered cranberry orange muffin with a small can of V8. I do love V8, even if it's low sodium.

14 comments:


  1. That's going to be a nice Quit! Are you doing it completely by machine or will there be some hand stitching applique as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The applique and the quilting will partly be one and the same as it's already a sandwich....

      Delete
  2. Your soup sounds delicious! I'm a seat of my pants kind of cook, but usually start with the whole ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on what's on hand. I have a pantry and rarely make a special trip.

      Delete
  3. The quilt is going to be beautiful!!!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilt. That's my kind of soup - I often use what I have on hand whether it is frozen or fresh. Usually the potatoes are the last two or three slightly soft ones from the bag, but I like the idea of using the frozen ones. It would definitely save time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're actually not frozen they are a refrigerated convenience item prepared for use.

      Delete
  5. I love the pink starfish. I bought 8 lbs of potatoes for $2.49, I think. Maybe I will make potato soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks. i think i just decided to add a turtle to the mix.

      Delete
  7. Love the knit shirt. Where did you find the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it on ravelry but it's actually in a book called knit kimono too and most of them.are kimonos. Los and behold my library had this little pamphlet book and in kindle no less.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!