Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Meeting New Friends In Retirement-Sometimes You Have to Take the Bull by the Horns

Although it may come as a shock to many of my readers, I am not naturally outgoing-at least in new situations. Oh sure, once I have been in a group situation for awhile, I can turn into Mrs. talkative. But in a new place, meeting new people, for the first time?  I don't do so well. It takes me some time.

I'm not one of those people who have had lifelong friendships since college forever and ever.  I came from a close family and we tended to be friends when we were kids. During my marriage I had casual friendships and my best friend was my husband. Most of my friendships are with people who "like to do the same stuff", so with the exception of close church friends I have knitting friends and book club friends......you get the idea.

While this may sound odd coming from a girl who enjoys traveling alone and thinks she meets more people that way I can only say-this is different. Having casual conversations at a shared dinner or while viewing a sculputure or enjoying a harbor boat ride is not the same-even of those relationships end up with promises to write or call if their next road trip comes my way.

I force myself to go out, because I am a social being at heart-as well as being a homebody.  I think there is even a word for folks like me-"social hermit". So when I relocated, I searched for a church that was not only progressive and did social justice work, but also had active and involved social activities- and a welcoming committee. Because I needed people who were willing to reach out to me.  I went to the local quilting guild and joined up-and eventually found a small quilting group to join. I walked into our local, very independent bookstore and saw a group of women knitting-and gathered my courage and asked if I could sit down and learn. I joined a silver sneakers class just so I could be talking with others during that hour. I volunteered for something that was close to my heart, and met other volunteers with the same perspective. And eventually, I found a community. I would be the first to admit it took some time-and bravery on my part

But while it was a fair amount of work in the beginning, I had my full health, I had a church and more-all things that others do not.  I also had family, even when I was living alone-at least in the same town.  And while I was making those connections (and afterward) I realized that for many people, making friends after retirement is difficult. Even more difficult than it was for me. Even if we don't move, the people we were once involved with may not be who we are involved with now. Or even who we want to be involved with. People and friends or acquaintances  often disappear  or realign (for lack of a better phrase) post work or post empty nest. Our friends are our neighbors and then we move. Our friends are our kids' friend's parents-who we may not have much in common with when the kids are gone. And this is not just something that affects those of us who are solo. 

 Last fall I went to a fairy garden making workshop, where one of the other participants was a woman with her granddaughter. During our hour or so of chatting, it was clear that she was terribly bored, needing socialization other than her husband and not sure now to get it.  I am sure she is not alone. I have found a balance that works for me- at my level of social involvement. But it was not easy (although more than worth it in the long run), and frankly I knew that there were other people to meet that I would like-if I ever found them.

Some time back, I became involved in my next door community.  This is a great group and a great way to communicate among neighbors, albeit mainly through the Internet and mainly when it comes to recommendations, neighborhood issues and so on. Someone has found a lost dog.  A lady a few blocks away posted yesterday because there was an injured coyote in her yard (yes, we live amongst nature). Someone is looking for a restaurant or the local rec center is letting us know about closing and special schedules. There are occasional social gatherings, such as a small bunco group, but this is not the primary focus.

And then, all of a sudden a woman posted on my next door group. Put simply, she was retired, had no one to talk to except her husband and granddaughter.  She was looking for friends-any friends.  Did any one else feel the same way she did? I can only imagine what it took for this (seemingly) mainly shy gal to do this. And here's where it gets really good.  Because my friends, if she had one response, she must have had thirty. Women, men, married and not married.  All interested in meeting friends in the neighborhood, many with the same issue that "B" had.  Mainly (but not all) boomers and retirees, with all different perspectives and lifestyles.

In fact, last week, they met for lunch on a Friday. Where it was such a success, that this hesitant woman has opened her house for a second, weekend potluck in order to include those still in the working world. Which I will probably attend-because you can never have too many friends.  And because, after all-neighbors.

All of which is my small way of saying, post of Next Door. Or stop when you see that group at the book store, or the back room at Joanne crafts or at your neighborhood public pool or at the library. Sometimes you wont be a match, sometimes the differences will be too great. But just as often, you'll find people who you will mesh with. And once you meet people, in general they will then introduce you to other people. Who you may have even more in common with. And it will all be worth it. 

Because, friends. We all need them, in one way or another. And waiting for them to come to you?  That just doesnt work.




16 comments:

  1. I feel like you read my mind. I've just started a new church much like the one you describe and amazingly after looking all over town, it's half a block away. Just joined next door too. Left a big city for a smaller town and knew I would miss the friends I had but within months all of them had left for other towns around the state too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's that time in our lives....I will say that a couple of those friends and I have become good online friends via facebook, but of course that does not have the day to day sameness.

      Delete
  2. What a great post! I have been diligently working on this and now need to go the next step and invite those I have met in various situations to spend time together in other ways. It is hard work and you have to put yourself out there and be rejected - not fun at any age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not, and some are better than others. I do know a couple people are are really good at just stepping into a group, and I envy them.

      Delete
  3. I like what you say - friends and acquaintances..."realign". Isn't that what happens when we leave the formal work setting? I've seen a shift in my friend circle as we retired at different times; as social situations changed, i.e. widowhood, family commitments; as interests, health and mind sets change. There are friends with whom I pick up right where we left off. There are those relegated to the list of people that don't matter anymore. I see many references to the fact that it's hard to make new friends after retirement or a certain age. What is that? Is it that there have been too many losses and we're not willing to invest again only to lose? Is it that we depended upon a partner to do that for us and now in widowhood, we don't have that person riding shotgun? Is it that we relied on established social circles, i.e. work, church, recreation and aren't prepared to start over? Is it that our expectations are out of alignment? If a person is involved in activities outside of the home, I don't know how we can't meet others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aargh, my comment was eaten by cyberspace. Due to moving quite a bit during my childhood, I never had "lifelong" friends. As an adult, most of my friendships were work related but we rarely socialized outside of work. As I am now retired, most of DH and I social interactions are with family members. We enjoy these quite a bit but I find that we don't do much otherwise. I recently began a course on the Gospel of Luke through my church community but at this point although interesting, there are only 2 participants. You make some good points. Thanks for this post. Teri (teribf.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, you are welcome. Glad to see your new blog.

      Delete
  5. You are so right. I am not retired but we work from home. It is really hard to make friends in a town that we only moved to 5 years ago. Our friends now are primarily from the part-time job I had for 2 years. Finally, five years later we have some friends and actual neighbors that we talk to on a regular basis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it does take some time, and the neighborhood certainly has someothing to do with it. We're retired and most of our neighbors are families with kids, always running and so on.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for another great post. As another "social hermit," I realize that my main social sources are church-related (a progressive, social justice-oriented church also) or through a volunteer activity. Recently I joined a group of women from church living in the same area of town who meet once a month. I know some of them, but look forward to getting to know more.

    I also want to make sure that I have friends, or at least interactions with people who are younger than me. Facebook helps with that, and I make an effort to ask the younger friends to do things. Our last outing was a drag show, before that roller derby--some things I might not otherwise do.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes absolutely, I should have added that. One of the reasons I took college classes instead of senior college was the ability to be amongst all ages

      Delete
  7. Your suggestions are really good and should be tried. I’m sure they work as they’re logical and have when I was younger. I’ve enjoyed making friends, going into new groups — relatively easy for me. I've taken a number of classes, other activities that interest me the past decade. Am not into the domestic activities, so maybe those are a different sort of people. Am more into classes, also writing, book club — all seem to be composed of people who are caregiving spouses with others they have to get home to — this is their outing; others come from retirement settings & socialize with group there so don't have time for others; not up for any other get together to name a few reasons. Younger couple, my best friends, live an hour away, so when they retired they undertook to connect where they lived with all sorts of activities, different churches. They were surprised to have same experience I’ve had — people friendly within confines of whatever the activity, but no socialization outside of that for most of same reasons I’ve encountered. We live in our own homes so maybe that makes a difference, too, as others are all in other living settings or communities. Perhaps one day there may be some new people appear — seems to be the best I or they can expect we've finally decided. Fortunately, I’m comfortable with solitude, and going out on my own, so am not lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...spot on! When you live in a rural area but worked several miles away from where you lived...things can get complex. Not lots of options...but I love your suggestions! Thanks much! Social hermit...now a new phrase I will be employing to describe how I feel at times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your term of "social hermit" might describe me too. I like being with friends and family and also plenty of quiet time on my own. I met one lady in a Bible study group 3 years ago who has become a close friend. I invited her to meet for coffee and that is how our friendship began. I like your suggestions, nextdoor could be a good option.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!