Saturday, September 30, 2017

Making it Myself-5 DIY Projects (and a couple fall goals) In The Works!

So this morning, I am wondering why on earth my car has all those pretty indicator lights, and what their purpose is. As I was driving my car downtown I stopped at a light, and the car died. So dead that after five minutes it would not even go into neutral out of park without charger cables being attached. 

 Yes, my friends, my alternator went bye-bye. With nary a red light notice on my dashboard (I'm one of those who doesn't leave the drive until they are all clear, even the unused seat belt indicators). So a thousand dollars later, I'll see my car at the end of the week. I suspect that a post on saving for emergencies on a fixed income is due here after this one. Meanwhile, my son and I are back to that one car sharing thing. Actually, it'll be him using his car as normal and me borrowing it the three times of the week I'll truly need it. 

The upside? I'll be home even more than usual (I see no reason to rent a car during repairs at this point in my life).  So I should get a great deal done on a couple DIY projects, including the unfinished ones mentioned below.

1. I made my first pumpkin recipe-and I don't have a picture.  Sigh. Said car died on the way to my weekly downtown cooking session and I had planned to take a pretty picture of my pumpkin cake with chocolate chips (no nuts for the masses) and cream cheese frosting after it was cut at the event. Someone from the church came and picked up the salad stuff and the cake (they ordered pizza instead). I guess I'll just have to make it again. This time with nuts! I'm thinking a pumpkin recipe linkup starting maybe next week, what do you all think?

2. After cutting and sewing and buying fabrics, I started on my quilt squares (I need eighteen in total). They came out perfectly. I just have to sit and think for a day as to whether I'm happy with all the squares like this, or if I feel I need to get many more small fabric pieces and go completely random. My lazy self is saying go with the former.  That's a bunch of two inch squares!  



3.  I've turned the blue alpaca into about a third of a shawl. Which I really cannot show here in case the recipient comes visiting.  I'm very happy with it and hope that she will be as well. Maybe next week I'll throw it up on Pinterest or Facebook, as I know she doesn't visit those places.

4. I chose the yarn for my for my fall shawl. I knitted the yarn up a little bit to see how it would look and I now know exactly what I plan to do. The yarn on the left has hints of rust and green and fall colors in it, so I'm going to add some rust to the mix.  This, I have decided, will be a rectangle similar to the one below. I may even have time to make a second one.  My goal is to turn this yarn (with a rust or green addition) into something similar, yet bulkier with fringe.  But without the buttons, I prefer a pretty pin to hold in place.  This should work up fast, and I should have a photo this week! 






5. While I haven't talked much about this on the blog yet, one of my goals is to try and create some of my own healing and skin products, to eliminate just a few of the chemicals in my life.  My daughter gave me a lovely gift card to Amazon, where I ordered the basic necessities like beeswax and apricot oil and Shea butter. First up? An all purpose pain lotion bar and a massage oil like arthritis rub. I believe that these will be cheaper than traditional store brand stuff, but in this case, my goal is not  just money saving DIY, but a better product!  Most of the time frugality and DYI mix,  but sometimes I make it myself for other reasons. I'll begin with a version of this pain relief lotion bar recipe.



I'm still working on the outdoor fall decor, but I now have inspiration-if the squirrels and rabbits stay out of my way that is.  I may have mentioned this before, but my neighbor is a master gardener, so her yard (and especially her vegetable garden) is far superior even to ours. A few weeks ago, we noticed that one of her vines has wandered over the little shed and into our yard. She told us not to worry, that we could use whatever were on the vines.  Which were-pumpkins. Only.  Rabbits and squirrels oh my! The other day we covered it with pepper flakes soaked in oil for a day or two, hoping to protect the last two.  If they make it, we'll throw them on the porch with some hay bales I picked up and some other original decor.  If they die a slow death, I'll settle for the fake floral arrangement and little garden flag I had in mind to make. (I've realized that wreaths are not my favorite way to decorate, even outside).

And now, off to bake to cakes for this coming Thursday (this time from a mix), take the dogs outside for some special time, and cut some more teeny tiny squares.

10 comments:

  1. What an unpleasant surprise about your car. Your knitting projects sound pretty, I like the fall colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well, but I'm letting it sit a big longer, in case I want to go more rusty or brownish (I wear mainly fall colored tops but only black pants, lol.

      Delete
  2. Sorry about your car. I would like a pumpkin baking post and to know where you found that lovely scarf pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a picture I found on pinterest and I canot find the pattern (it was a styling photo)) but it looks to me like it's just garter stitch and I am going to make mine around twenty by seventy inches. I think there are so many more ways to style a large rectangle shawl as opposed to a traditional triangle. I will be starting a pumpkin cooing post, and they will not all be sweet. I have a great pumpkin psasta recipe I found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a bummer about your car when it was so sudden and no warning. You are keeping very busy though and it is a bonus to have some extra time to work on your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pumpkin recipe link up idea Barbara. I make a killer pumpkin lasagna, and am on the hunt for a good ice cream recipe.

    So sorry about your car though. There is never a good time for a car to go out of service even if one is retired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly not. Most of the time I am okay, but my son is the chef at a sports bar which means he can't give me his car to go to church (a need for me) so I end up taking Lyft, lol.

      I also want to look at ice cream. In fact, I need a newer Ice cream maker and am trying to decide to get a freestander or a attachment for my kitchen aid. Perusing amazon today.

      Delete
  6. I love the shawl! I wish I had the talent and patience to knit.
    Happy Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about your car Barb. However on the plus side, look at all you have accomplished.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 12 ideas to assist you to lose fat on the 12-week planWant to lose weight in 2019? These 12 suggestions will helpBy Cliff MehrtensDecember 17, 2018A new year begins with many most people vowing to lose excess weight.Gym memberships surge. Bicycle trails and strolling paths become clogged. But frequently before the weather turns warm, the resolutions have been abandoned.
    http://www.cureidea.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!