Monday, September 25, 2017

Asking the Readers: Clicklist, Instacart, Peapod, Amazon-Do You Ever Order or Pickup Groceries? Would You Consider It?




Today is the Monday after Sunday football. I am of course a Broncos fan (with occasional nods to DC, after having lived there for over 20 years). My son is a Colts fan and my daughter a die hard Redskins fan. Rare, oh so rare, are the Sundays when they both having winning teams, but this is one of those weeks. Leaving me as the odd gal out.  And what's worse of course, is that the Broncos have to face the Raiders next week. The week after they were upset by those upstart Redskins (who I also love, and someday I'll share with readers my personal thoughts on the name).  Ah, football, you make me happy, you make me miserable! But I did miss you so much. Oh, and the frugal retiree tried out Stitch Fix. More about that later in the week.  Meanwhile......

A little over a week or so ago, my daughter texted me from Dallas. She said "I tried Clicklist for the first time".  I texted back "How did you like it?".  Her answer was "It was glorious. And I even got produce".

For those not in the know, clicklist is a system by which you go online and place an order for groceries with your local store.  You then choose a one hour pick up window, drive up to the store, and have said groceries put into your car. Now, nothing is free of course, and the cost  is $4.95 for this service.  But the first three "pickups" are free. And Kroger/King Soopers (my primary local store) sends out ten dollar coupons off regularly in their monthly mailers, making it a fairly reasonable option. 





I had been considering doing this for awhile.  At first blush, this may not seem like a frugal option. I mean, grocery shopping for a fee?  And what about the coupons?  In my case, coupons are not a huge part of my method of keeping the cost of eating well in check. I rely more on cooking from scratch, buying loss leaders, and not buying junk food.  I also hate, hate, hate, grocery shopping. I don't mind the cooking part so much although I am not necessarily good at it, and I enjoy the eating part. The shopping?  Not so much.  And yes, I'm sure some readers are thinking "But I love looking at and feeling the produce" or something along those lines. I bow to you. But that is not me. And while I am capable of walking into a store, running to the back and getting nothing but milk, I am just as likely to go up and down the aisles getting things I don't need. Especially unhealthy things I don't need, like Sara Lee cheesecake. Which I firmly believe should be eaten while still partially frozen.  

So again, this had been in the back of my mind for awhile. My concerns were, of course, mainly the produce. And to some extent the meat. Even though I know somewhere in my mind that a pack of chicken breasts is a pack of chicken breasts, steak and other items are not so easily dismissed. After hearing the results from my daughter, as well as from another friend, next week I'll be experimenting with this system.  Because after all, aside from the meat and the produce, 90 percent of what I buy each week is pretty much the same thing.  Eggs, milk, cheese, English muffins........the list goes on.

Clicklist, of course, is not the only option. As a member of Amazon Prime, I've been given a free trial of Amazon Fresh to test door to door delivery.  Instacart is similar to Clicklist, only again, it is door to door delivery (for a fee of course). Walmart has grocery pickup (and perhaps delivery, I am not sure). Some of my readers have Peapod, I am sure. And of course regular Amazon users know about Prime Pantry for personal products, pet items and non perishables that can be ordered monthly (we used to do this for large bags of dog food), although it is not instant delivery. And some readers may use Door to Door Organics.  




At first blush these kind of things seem like they would be best suited to younger, working singles, couples or families.  And yes, as my daughter's response above shows, for that group it's a big help. She made her list the evening before I expect, while watching TV, and arranged to pick said order up after work the next day-at a store that was on her way home.

But I'm fairly sure I am not the only retiree or boomer for whom this holds some attraction-especially when it includes the delivery option. At this point in my life, I don't have a lot of "weekly errands" as such, other than the occasional trip to the library. Oh sure, I leave the house for knitting, volunteering, entertainment and day trip purposes and to go out to lunch.  But it's not the "Do the errands, go to the grocery store, hit the pharmacy, pick up the dry cleaning, fill up the car", type stuff I once did.  

And while I I talk occasionally here about the time versus money trade off that happens to many of us in retirement, I really don't want to spend time I could be doing fun stuff by grocery shopping. Last  but not least in this discussion is that I hate carrying groceries, especially heavy things like a gallon of juice and milk and basic canned goods.  It can be a pain-literally. With delivery, especially if I were home, the goods would be inside my door, and my only "chore" would be putting said inventory a way.

Now, I admit that for someone who dubs herself "the frugal retiree", this may seem out of character. And perhaps it is.  In general, I'm a firm believer in doing it yourself when you can, and when it works. But part of the reason for that belief is that I know I (all of us actually) will have times when we want or need to "hire it out". In this case I'm the first to admit that hiring it out may be as much pure laziness as need. But that's okay, as long as everything evens out financially. At  least from where this frugal retiree stands.

So over to you, fair readers. Have you ever had food delivered?  Personal products through Amazon Prime?  Would you think about it?  Do you like to grocery shop? Or is it a chore you'd happily leave behind. Let me know what thinks, and what works for you.

23 comments:

  1. 10 years ago when I was living in the San Francisco area, I used to use Pea Pod and Safeway delivery. I loved it. They don't have that service where I live now - too rural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I should add, I do order from Schwanns once a month.

      Delete
    2. We also order from Schwans on occasion Debby.

      Delete
    3. Another Schwan's customer here!! I think, Barbara, you mentioned Schwan's in one of your posts and I gave them a try and have been quite satisfied. Thank you!!

      Delete
    4. Youre right, I do order Schwans on occasion, but I only order the full meals, and tend to save them for the days I hurt or am really, really busy.

      Delete
  2. My local grocery store provides online shopping and delivery. When I go there a short distance from my home I often see one of the staff filling in an online order and packing it in insulated bags. I could see myself doing something like this. Even though the store is close by, it is not always easy physically to go shopping. Also Amazon has made a deal with Whole Foods so that is another option. I believe Walmart is now doing it too. Phone in orders for food have long been a service of the smaller Asian grocers here but those stores are now very few.

    Personally I still like to do my own shopping and check things out in person but I can see using this kind of service in future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alot of people DO like to do their own shopping, and this is probably not for them, except for maybe non perishables.

      Delete
  3. I was ready to give instacart a try but I researched and they charge a delivery fee PLUS THEY MARK UP THE COST OF THE GROCERIES,sometimes by a lot!! I was appalled! I probably WILl give the Walmart pickup service a try though. Am getting very busy with my real estate work and I'd love to just send a list and pick it up at the curb!! At least now and then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But admittedly I was talking about click list-Ill check hte instacart prices in my area and let you know.

      Delete
  4. Madeline, this must be an area or store thing. I promise you my grocery store charges the same price as is in my local flyer and I'm paying the same price for milk and such as I would at the store (I have certain prices in my head). I would not do it if the individual prices were more, but I will do it for the five buck fee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may just be instacart that adds a fee to each item. On top of their fee.

      Delete
    2. Yep, I read up on Instacart and the general consensus is that they up prices. I will definitely go with someone else if I ever move frome pickup to delivery. a five dollar fee is one thing, higher prices no way jose.

      Delete
  5. I use both Walmart and Target pick up.That does not help the items get in the house. My daughter and Mother (87) use Safeway delivery. Both love it. For Mom, it is a Godsend. We are thinking of moving her to Amazon, but she knows the Safeway people. My daughter also uses Amazon Pantry and subscription.For a person who protested the big box store, she goes through boxes like a maniac. Ah--what a few children will do to you ;) I still touch the fruit at the little farm store and pick the piece of chicken at the butcher, but I know both of these stores are rare. Both will carry to my car. Spoiled, am I!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, Im gonna start with the pickup and then think about getting the items into the house. I do love farmers markets and our butcher for tose special meats.

      Delete
  6. I use Harris Teeter Echoes Lane service and pay $99 a year for an unlimited number of orders. You get the same price as in - store and there are some online specials also. I totally love it! I hate shopping, so this is perfect for me. I even add notes to the order.. things like "only give me the strawberries if they look good" and the person will be honest about it. It had been great
    .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to choose things. I can barely walk and just found out I broke a bone in my right hand. Still, I persevere. WM employees will pick things up for me, like milk. They will put it in my car. Getting it into the house is the difficult part. That five dollar fee would kill my finances. But, I would pay to have someone drive my groceries I picked out to my home and bring them in for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would use this service if my mobility was limited and if the service was available. I live in a rural area where kind neighbors would get necessary items. There is a grocery delivery service in town - the shopping is done and delivered right in to the kitchen; I don't know if there is a cost. I think of my elderly mother for whom grocery shopping is a social outing. If it wasn't for the errands of shopping, health appointments & banking, I doubt that she would venture out of her home at all. Grocery shopping is the one form of shopping that I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always loved grocery shopping- weird I know. I usually go to 5 different stores a week and get the loss leaders/BOGO items I need. I still work at age 70 and love my job. I can't imagine giving up the job or grocery shopping unless I absolutely cannot give it my best. I like baking- cooking not as much- but I have plenty of time to do the things I enjoy. My secret- very little TV watching and early bedtime and up by 5 AM every morning. I was even a morning person as a child and the oldest of 6! Mom never had to tell me to go to bed or to get up LOL. PS I'm not fond of housework but too frugal to hire it done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. and here I am even busier than I was when I worked and miss my job not at all. I stay up until 2 and get up around nine or so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm from NY (Manhattan) where delivery was part of the service and cost a tip. It began changing about 15 years ago with fresh direct--order and deliver
    Now I live in the South and don't have a car. But I still prefer to shop in the store (we're just beginning to have some services) as I will never get used to wide aisles and everything looking new
    What I would really like is restaurant delivery--we only have chain Italian and bad Chinese but the firm that delivers to all the other towns in my area claims our insurance is too high--an excuse used for everything
    Pia
    Http://courtingdestiny.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi pia, we also have restaurant delivery, but we really are not order in eaters, If Im gonna get restaurant food I want to sit down and be waited on, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we all can be frugal but go about it in different ways of where we skimp vs where we splurge. Enjoying grocery shopping always has depended on what else was going on in my life. It's a good physical activity outing for me now -- especially if I go to a farmers market. I rather like making item selections myself -- seeing what's new or rotating into the fresh prepared meals dept. I can just pop in my microwave such as salmon with different veggies or other item.

    I've not used any of the grocery home delivery groups offered here in So Cal, but have been paying attention to such services offered directly by my stores, also. Since it's only me I'm feeding I tend to think I'll only use such a service if I'm indisposed, or the day comes when I can no longer drive -- though might take a driver then I.e.Lyft -- or may have self-driving cars and eventually car/planes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! I have used Safeway, King Soopers (pretty high delivery charge I think 12.95) and Amazon Fresh. I am dangerous in a store and even King Soopers expensive delivery charge is still less than I would impulse spend AND they take coupons online. I buy heavy stuff, water, 2 liter and 12pk soda, cat litter, dog food, etc. Anything that I can have delivered, I will. Even Schwans. The only time I venture into a grocery store is to pick up prescriptions or a quick stop and even then I rarely stick to my list. Try it, you will LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!