Friday, October 6, 2017

Five Frugal Retirement Things


Now that the heat of the summer has past, much of the garden has perked up with our sixties and seventies weather. Our neighbor also has a large garden, and I may have mentioned before that a large vine or two were growing over the fence into our side. Mae said that we could have whatever was on the vine. Pumpkins!! Unfortunately the damned squirrels and rabbits gnawed through all but one that was fairly well hidden under the vines.The one that was left intact is huge, however!! It took a dolly to bring up this puppy (flatter on back that on the front) and get it placed.  The black marks?  It's coated for protection from critters in olive oil that has had red peppers steeping. We can only hope this makes it last the month!
A few fall flowers

See that pumpkin hiding among the green?
Meanwhile, a few frugal wins from this past week:

1.  This morning I went to the 11am movie and saw Blade Runner 2049. Frugal because there was a $5.00 senior/early morning price, I earned rewards through my AMC app, and I purchased my AMC gift card through Swagbucks on a double reward day, earning almost five dollars on a 25.00 gift certificate.  Lazy because they have the option of ordering food online and having your popcorn and such delivered to your seat (no extra fee) which I did. Unhealthy because I had popcorn, M&Ms and water for breakfast and lunch. But frugal, definitely frugal. I'm a firm believer in the idea that we cannot complain about movies or about movie theaters, if we are not supporting the business. If we always say "Oh, I'll wait for that to come on TV", and then complain about movie quality, that is in my perspective a huge part of the problem

In order to be kind to all who have not seen the film but still share my opinion, I'll just say that this two hour and 45 minute movie felt at most like an hour and a half, and I think everyone around me agreed. The place was sold out at an eleven am show and EVERYONE enjoyed and most people loved the film. Take from that what you will.

Edited to add: If you haven't seem the original Blade Runner, please do so. Even if you already saw this one. It will explain a great many things, including the brief appearance of Edward Olmos and his cryptic comments and much of the history of the replicants, way beyond the brief note at the beginning of the movie. I consider the original to be the best Sci Fi move ever and yes, that includes 2001 A Space Odyssey.

2.  I made this casserole from the Betty Crocker website for dinner tonight.  Ground beef was on sale, as was shredded cheese and I had piles of it. And because I made much more food than there were people last night, there were extra chips and pico de gallo and such for me to bring home. I plan for 20 people, sometimes there are more, sometimes less. I submit receipts and get reimbursed. Gennerally, I bring leftovers home unless they are easily perishable or sandwich/finger food in which case I drive to a nearby park where homeless teens camp and give it to the kids.  If any of you have made a recipe similar to this, I'll give two tips: Many recipes say to spread the re-fried beans on the chips and then add the ground beef mixture. I simply cook it all together including the beans. And I get the small container of the above mentioned pico that most groceries have in the produce section ready made, and mix it in.



3. I discovered two new mystery shopping apps and put them on my phone.These apps mainly have fifteen minute type jobs that one can do while they are out and about dong normal errands. Since I hit Target every other week or so, I was happy to see that there were many to be done in Target, most simply taking photos of the new lines and products they have and their displays. The other one will reimburse me as well as give me a small extra amount for eating breakfast at Mod Market.  Since I'm a breakfast gal (if I don't get eggs in the morning I need them sometime during the day), this is a win win for me. I would still be a win even if it were only reimbursement.  Anyone interested in an article on how I make money from my phone?


4.  I discovered that I my little suburban town, everyone over sixty five-be they owner or renter-get a property tax refund every year. My refund will only be about sixty dollars or so, but that's sixty dollars that goes in the travel fund for next year. I've already let my son know that post surgery, healing and the first month of PT or so, he's on his own so I can fly the coop for awhile. In other words, when he can dive and dress himeslf and not need pain medication, I can think about travel. Admittedly, that may be the end of January!

5. I repaired three good quality sweaters that each had small holes (from what I'm not sure, they were not moth-like). Using needle and thread that matched and a weaving motion, the end result is that not even family members could see where the repair was when I showed them.  I tend to buy a few quality pieces each year, and was unwilling to let these sweaters go yet. And I had  perfect timing. It's supposed to be mid seventies on Sunday, with a high of 38 on Monday and possible snow flurries. And then 70 again on Tuesday. Bring on the barometer related migranes and knee pain!!

What about you?  Any frugal (or other) wins or losses this week?                        

10 comments:

  1. I went to see Blade Runner 2049 last night too but unlike you I felt the show was 3 hours. I went to the latest show of the evening (9:30 p.m.) as that is the only time it was playing at that particular theatre. I haven't seen any of the other Blade Runner movies but I still enjoyed this latest one. It was a nice discovery you made about getting a property tax refund. Unfortunately we don't have that here but we do have a program for seniors who own to defer all property taxes until sale of their home. To get it one must apply. It doesn't happen until you apply. That casserole looks very tasty and I like that you were able to repair small holes in your sweater. No one seems to do that anymore but years ago it was quite common.

    Frugal wins on my side this week...just the usual shopping food sales, shopping clothing sales. The movie I got on a groupon for 2 which included popcorn but the savings was probably offset by buying pizza out before the movie and candy for the movie. Have a wonderful frugal weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's only one other Blade Runner. See it. Trust me. You'll appreciate this one so much more. Good for you on the groupon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the movie review. I may just have to see this one when it comes to our theater...

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd enjoy an article on earning money on your phone!
    Glad you enjoyed Blade Runner. The banners for it in NYC were amazing.
    My frugal wins: A nursery going out of business- camellia, grape and mum plants are going in the ground today! We have, most likely, two or three more weeks of warm weather watering. My other win was TP! A mis-marked display and I am stocked up in Charmin for the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like some great frugal wins and your photos are fabulous. My major frugal win is really my Husband's as he has provided all the labor to remove large plants from our patio (no more pruning - yeah). We are still putting our heads together to come up with a frugal plan for replanting the beds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear about Blade Runner, the original is one of hubby's favorite movies. I will have to take him to this (on cheap Tuesday of course)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've decided the original is now the best sci fi movie of all time (it used to be 2001, but I susect for some folks tht is dated although I still love it and refuse to say what I was taking when I first saw it).

      Delete
  7. Would love a detailed article on how you make money on your phone and also on mystery shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive been wanting to do some income articles soperhaps that will go into the frugal Friday file.

      Delete
  8. I saw the original Blade Runner and remember nothing except it was weird. A date took me and had gone to Urban Cowboy for me, or something I wanted to see. I do want to see it again before I go to this one.

    I just got a smart phone and need ways to make money with it. I will even link it to my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!