Thursday, October 21, 2021

The Spending Season......


Seen at the entrance to my daughter's subdivision. I guess more is actually more!



Yes, it has been awhile. No. This will not be the new normal. During the last month a plethora of things happeed. My son got me an HP Chromebook for my birthday, and used a different gmail address, so I can't access the blog on it. I'm still using my (perfectly working now) tablet. I did some serious self introspection on the blog and if I was staying and what I wanted to do. I now have a schedule of post, a few of which will be in a different vein (the "what  I've done the past few days" type of post is not necessarily working for me now), and some of those post may be different-and some will not. And finally, I had family issues (everyone is fine, there were no emergencies) that needed to be dealt with. There will be a post today, and  the beginning of the week and onward and forward.  And  yea, this one may be long since it's been awhile. 


Absolutely the only thing I created for fall this year

Lately I've been in a season of spending, one that will probably continue through to the first of the year when I drive to Denver. While I'm not yet spending on travel (and that money put aside is in the budget for the spring when I feel more confident), I have had some increases in expenses-some of which are one of a kind and some of which will be more long term. Fortunately there are savings to offset, but that's a story for another time.

On the mainly one time expenses, we begin with the "my body is crumbling a bit and I need more support" group of expenditures. 


My trusty Asics, $70 later. Less than my SAS shoes at least

One of the things I've been doing while gone is having some seriously intense physical therapy workouts (I'm in PT for the long term due to balance issues and my PT is as intense as my strength workouts at home if not more so). As I've hit that 70 mark, I've also decided that there are  additional things I need to do health wise. First of all, my daughter suggested (tell it like it is, she demanded) that I move out of the Skecher's Go Walk shoe sphere and get really good walking/exercise standing shoes. So I'm now the proud owner of a pair of Asics and wondering why the heck I never thought about getting them before. She also wants me to have good "house" shoes, which means I am waiting on some good comfortable loose but supportive shoes with Velcro (that are supposedly for diabetics but just look comfy as all get out).  Another 70 bucks well worth the frieght! Eventually I'll need another set of 150 SAS sandals. The good news (I hope) is that all this footwear will last a long time! 





Meanwhile, the walker I have been using is a hand me down from a much shorter person. To date I've mainly used it as seating in standing only venues and next to my bed for midnight and early morning forays. That's gonna change as my therapist wants me to use the walker for my exercise walking to avoid falls and increase speed, which means I need a much better walker. One that fits and has handles the right size and height (I hunch with the current one).  I had found one online (Walmart had the best), when I realized  that my primary care doc can prescribe it, order it and have it sent to me. So I'm making an appointment so he can do that. In a perfect world it will be free but if not I'm looking at close to a hundred and twenty five bucks. I also need some good quality heating and ice therapy items so I can do both legs at the same time. Small expenses, but they pile up.

Also on the spending for health front, now that things are open again, I need to get a rec center pass. Our county has one fee for the recreation (painting and bridge  and stuff), one fee for the gym use, and one for the group exercise. Since I don't have Silver Sneakers it'll cost me thirty or forty a month, but it's well worth the frieght. I just have to see if that includes the 88 degree pool. And if I can motivate to make the ten am class, all will be good.

Another (hopefully) one off spending foray was in the clothing section.  The downside of buying a bunch of clothing together means that they tend to wear out together. Hence my purchase of the really good quality knit pants I love in a quantity of four (not on sale) from CJ banks, along with a couple tops.

And I bought fabric. And I'm going to buy more fabric. And yarn, I'll also be buying yarn. But mostly for things that will be sold or gifted (or so I tell myself). Not sure if these count as one offs, or regular expenditures, if you know what I mean. I mean right now I can count some of it as giifting. The rest of the time it just keeps me happy, and home and creative. Except for special requests and Christmas I'm now working mainly on making art on fabric (painting on it, drawing on it, sewing it together in weird ways and tearing it up and weaving with it so far). It keeps me at home and out of trouble (mainly). 



Last but not least, is the fact that my dining out has increased-and will probably stay that way. Much of my socialization is lunch out, brunch during Gospel hour, food at the movies and so on. Plus which, with my non cooking habits, Panera and the Burger  Time Machine and all the other takeout places are now a regular part of my"food budget". Instead of a grocery and entertainment budget I've just combined the eating costs into one pot. I'm buying staples and freezer items once a month, putting one pot of money towards the weekly things like salad and  fruit and such, and another towards dining out. Because I know myself.  Hopefully it will actually trim expenses here and there, especially if it gives me less food waste. I'll let you know on that one. It may work, it may not. 

Looking ahead, Christmas is coming.  Much of what my offspring and son in law want are gift cards, the kind that get mainly experience type stuff (massage, movies and so on) so everyone will get those, a quilt or a shawl and some stocking type stuff. My sister gave me that quilt for my bed, so I have no idea what I am gonna do there.

In other news of the moment, except for forcing my self to work out more and do therapy more I have entered the "do what I want when I want for how long I want" period of retirement, at least for now.

On Sunday I am going to see Dune. In a very large, recliner style movie theater. That either means something to you or it doesnt depending on your reading style. I had not planned to go see it until I heard it got a standing ovation at Cannes. Now I figure it's a must see and they darned well better make the second half.

I'll be back on Monday (or maybe even Sunday afternoon). I promise.




26 comments:

  1. Glad you have returned. I was just thinking about you the other day.
    And do whatever you have to do to stay out of trouble (mainly)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have shoe envy. The Velcro look cute and comfy. Good to see you back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided I need indoor and outdoor shoes which has never really bern a thing for me till now.

      Delete
  3. Glad to see you back I, too, have shoe envy. Seeing yours reminded me of how badly I need to get new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comfy and supportitive shoes are a must. The fall quilt is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you back. Those Denacare shoes look very comfortable - I'll have to check to see if they are available in Canada.

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've loved Asics for decades! Enjoy!!!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter is a nurse and she thinks Asics are one of the better values out there. I've started wearing them, too. Glad to see you back. It's fun to read about some of the changes you're making, in order to fit your life and tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are back! I wear that exact walking shoe! I got my first pair at Academy Sports and then discovered an ASICS outlet store in Allen (or it might be McKinney) They also have a website and online sales where I purchased my second pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be ordering g them online and avoiding 380 as much as possible. Lol.

      Delete
  9. WELCOME BACK to Blog Land! I use HOKA shoes (for bunions ... AND bunion sox) ... but can't tell you the last time I put them on! I need to follow your lead. I wish there was a water aerobic class close to me ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hokas are not supportive enough for me. I'm inking forward to signing up for stuff next week.

      Delete
  10. I forgot to mention, will you let me know how you like the indoor shoes? During the winter it gets too cold for flip-flops and I want something comfortable but can't stand to walk around in traditional house shoes. Those look like they would be a great solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. House shoes are unsafe for me hence daughter's suggestion of these.

      Delete
  11. I bought some New Balance for walking and am amazed at the difference I feel in my legs. The Dr. Scholls have been regulated for working in the garden.

    Definitely get a new walker more suited to your height. A friends father always seemed to choose one too small for him and walked very hunched over. It got so he couldn't straighten his back at all.

    Love the fall piece.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was given to me and I need the handles to be at least two inches higher.!

      Delete
  12. As always your quilting is just glorious! And I love all those Hallowe'en decorations too. It's funny that you mention your daughter pushing you to get good exercise shoes. I've been walking in various pairs of cheap shoes and am now realizing it's all about just where I want the blisters to be today! Time to get the good stuff out too I think!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very impressed with your fall quilt. It's gorgeous! And I love that Halloween display at your daughter's subdivision too. My grandsons would totally love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Fall quilt is a masterpiece! I like how you are working on yourself. I think I need shoes like yours for house shoes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!