Friday, December 11, 2020

Christmas Ready-Or At Least Readier

 Note: I am either gonna have to change my theme/background or figure out how to get rid of the black frames since I absolutely hate them. Give me time, give me time.


Yesterday it was 78 degrees in the neighborhood. Too nice to be inside, or to turn on my oven to 400 degrees. The next ten days are 55 to 65 degree highs and mainly sunny - more December weather, even here in north Texas. It has however been cool just enough that I managed to grab the changing colors right outside my window.



While I'm not a fan of over regulation in any community, be it owner HOA or something else, I'm happy to see that today the powers that be are out checking the neighborhood, both patios and inside (our halls are actually breezeways, so they often get treated as porches or patios as well).  The governing rules are pretty liberal and fairly simply-nothing dangerous on the patios and no inside furniture outside, anything light needs to be anchored, and outside the doors need to be kept "tasteful". Everyone's opinions differ on the latter, I know, but one of my neighbors obviously moved everything from what looks to have been a five bedroom house into her small two bedroom apartment and the overflow is, well, scary. I am on th e other end decorating wise as I wait for the rest of my furnishings to arrive in the spring and search for new shelves and furniture online meanwhile.

In some ways I wish I had brought more Christmas but it sounds like the other two have been enjoying and really need the full sized tree and the village (sending a new piece to them this week, whose it will be next year I don't know). 

Yes, this is the quilt that is just a bit "pink" now



Meanwhile, I've decided to embrace the Christmas in full, panemic, new digs, downsized and alone and all. It was a challenge putting some of the ornaments for al arge tree on my small one, but I was determined to make it work, rather than settle for so called "mini tree" ornaments". So the tree is decorated and lit, my single nativity is out (I swear the biggest adjustment is having one nativity instead of three or four).  I did manage to get those candles standing up straight my friends (see chocolate advent calendar next to advent wreath), and all of the quilts and sewn items have been put to good use. I even started at  mini quilt (or two) to hang on the wall.  I've also kept Alexa in good use, be it choral Christmas play lists, or fun Christmas play lists. 







My gifting is mainly done other than a bottle of Jameson for my son in law. I stuck to the guidelines. Next year we've decided to change our gift giving tradition back to the way we used to do it as a family-no lists and lots of surprises. We know each other well and this works for us. We share gifts with all, but generally (especially me) fall on the side of the "Christmas is not really about the gifts and we should just give presents year around when we feel like it" group attitude wise.

This afternoon I'm preparing to roll out Christmas cookies after having spent time to re-arrange my much smaller kitchen for said endeavour and allowing said dough to sit out a bit as it was really hard.  Sugar cookies will be the most difficult, most of the others are icebox or drop style cookies that don't require the rolling/cutting/decoration portion. What can I say, tradition is tradition. 



I did go for a small drive and into a real store (two actually this week) which I probably will not do again anytime in the near future. I ran into my local "mini" Kroger and got cookie decor, and more importantly I took a ten minute drive and explored a local quilt shop. Where, of course I had to get something.  Because, after all. I do believe I already have a plan for said fabric! 




Instead of curbside, I used Instacart this week. I absolutely have to tell them no substitutions from now on, I tell ya. I ordered a single pork tenderloin and instead I got half a pork loin. Since I have neither freezer space nor a large roasting pan these days, it's going to the daughter, at least to be cut up and after that we/I will figure out something to do with some of it! 


In my new life, that is one hunk of meat!

21 comments:

  1. It's looking very festive! Good for you for decorating. And baking! I need to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ove decided there will be much less baking in this little kitchen from now on.

      Delete
  2. A cooking bag on a cookie sheet will make it easy to cook that hunk of meat. Then, you could freeze it in single slices for more meals. I love cooking bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting till I get a roasting g pan and a meat thermometer and can do it properly. I love well cooked pork but hate overcooked pork.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, that is one large piece of meat. Cut into smaller pieces or even chops would probably be good. I hope your daughter has a freezer.

    The decorations are lovely! I especially like the photo of the tree, the angle is very nice.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O don't even have a roasting pan these days, lol

      Delete
  4. I say celebrate where you are. Do all the decorating you can.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that looks like a Christmas Dinner side of meat! I bet it would be good with carrots, potatoes, and onions cooked in its juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I don't have the pots to cook it, but I froze it for now so we will see.

      Delete
  6. I think you've done a wonderful job in decorating for Christmas. I especially like your advent wreath and nativity set. Please show us the cookies you bake. I found two new cookies that I made this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. For the sending I am just using sugar and peanut butter. After that I'll move into Mexican wedding ri gs and some others.

      Delete
  7. Your quilts are so pretty!
    I am ready to finish decorating the house and get on the baking trail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to do a bit more baking , I rearranged my kitchen a bit today. But it definitely won't be at pre move levels.

      Delete
  8. Instacart ... gotta look into that since it's gotten so bad around here we don't even want to go into the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It definitely is the price as there is a delivery fee and tip. But since right now I'm only paying the tip I can do it on occasion for aldi. I still do curbside for Walmart and kroger

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're a very talented quilters - those quilts are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do so admire the artistry of you quilters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Neighbors downsize made me smile since we moved from a McManse to half the house earlier in 2020 just prior to pandemic and if it were not for the RV Garage this property had, it would be Scarier! *LMAO*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!