Thursday, December 3, 2020

A December Covid List

Morning all. This is meant to be a mainly uplifting holiday post, but first I'm allowing my inner whine to come out. Moving is expensive, the costs are still piling up (paying off the move, registering even an old car for the first time is more than I thought, I didn't cancel an previous insurance and thought I had, and the list goes on). As I said elsewhere, I know that in 2021 this will be better for both finances and health, but meanwhile, I'm close to having one of those moments, lol, even as I know this too shall pass.

Enough of that, onward and forward..

Wednesday has become a three Zoom meeting day. I have my knitting group at two, then my "second Half" church tea at four (today we did trivia and drank and I, as always, won), and then another thing at seven in the evening. On the one hand, it's nice to have the options and connection, but on the other hand, I really kinda wish it were divided over a few days, ya know? At least I have these connections, as everything helps these days.

Because this year, just like for everyone else, it's a completely different kind of Christmas round here.  I'm in a new place and barely settled, I'm living alone, the place and things are different (but good) and of course, the pandemic that hangs over us all.

Way back at the start of November I had a tentative bucket and goal list, one that was unrealistic with all the moving and things going on, to say the least. I decided I need a December (and January ) list to help me move forward, but I left all the pumpkin and fall things behind. I need things to keep me engaged, create new traditions maybe, and distract. It's an moving target of a list,but for now these are my plans and goals for the rest of December and onward. Any other ideas?  What are you doing?

  • Make a gingerbread house with my daughter (this is already planned)
  • Have an advent tradition each week (FB readers know I sent my wreath back because it was not stable and am using regular jarred colored candles instead)
  • Take at least one evening drive (maybe a couple, I've put the word out on where I should go) to see Christmas lights
  • Help Others. I joined a FB group called "Won't You Be My Neighbor (our town)", that does things for others in need of who are feeling down. The cards are obviously my first project but there will be more.
  • Have at least one Christmas marathon movie night with all the trimmings and junk food (suggestions are welcome as long as they don't include Love Actually).
  • Make Christmas cookies and send them to Colorado and give them away (but keep many for me)
  • Participate in all the community offerings, different as they may be.  Each Thursday there is something going on-Holiday treats day, Holiday tea, Holiday Cookies, Breakfast.  All now in grab and go form of course (interesting with the tea thing). But even masked and socially distanced it's a chance to chat with folks in the neighborhood and meet more people.
  • Continue to walk outside every day the weather is decent (decent is relative to where you live obviously and today is a high of fifty and cloudy and wet so I will not go, but the next week is sunny and sixties. My walk to get the mail is twenty minutes).
  • Make a new Christmas play list that is mainly choral music and instrumental Christmas.
  • Decide if I will go to daughter and son-in-law and spend the night and the day or I will start my own Christmas Eve tradition alone at home and go there after lunch.
  • Plan a twelve days of Christmas routine (because Christmas begins on December 25 people, not now).
  • Try and make at least one small handmade gift for each person since the normal crafting time of my life was on hold for a couple (few) months.
More goal oriented stuff:

  • Work on my annual goals (mainly done)
  • Register for Olli classes in the new year (catalog comes out this month)
  • Deal with car issues in the new state
  • Set up a bunch of subscribe and save deliveries for both kids on Amazon to commence in January (Christmas is very lean and low key so this is one my way of spreading gifting throughout the year of both needs and wants)
  • Along the same vein, explore subscription of hobby type gifts for both offspring (looking at escape game type packages monthly for my son or really difficult adult lego models as options) for the next few months.
  • Start looking at plans for the winter to keep the boredom at bay.
  • Begin a FB group having to do with frugal retirement and fixed income living.
Today I am cheating and allowing Instacart to deliver from Aldi. I forgot that my son got me an annual membership last year, and so all I need to do is pay the tip, and I'm having a lazy day (grocery shopping is never social for me, even in the time of Covid).


18 comments:

  1. My recommendation for a Christmas movie: a wonderful old b&w called "It Happened on Fifth Avenue" Also, the recent "Christmas Chronicles" with Kurt Russell. Didn't think we'd like it, but so fun. Tried watching the sequel, "Christmas Chronicles 2," but couldn't get into that one at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, you mentioned Aldi and I wanted to tell you that I've been trying their Appleton thick-sliced bacon and hams (we're able to get small, bone-in hams at our store, which you might like too. They're reasonable and good tasting. Now that it's Christmas, they have a wider assortment of cheeses and spreads and we've never gotten a bad one (yet). They're caramel-white chocolate popcorn (sold in bags) is a great treat and it's nice to have a few extra in case you need a gift for someone. You might have already tried these items, but when I started going back to Aldi, I really learned a lot from friends' experiences. Sounds like you're making lots of good/fun plans. Enjoy the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good to know, always interested in new thing to be found at Aldi

      Delete
  3. I second Christmas Chronicles.
    Lots more houses dressed for Christmas this year- so the driving is fun. We thought about driving lights at the Zoo- but it is already booked!
    We are doing what we did at Easter. Everyone in the family will stream the Evening Mass at my Mother's church- even the non churchy people "attended". Then we will zoom after that while eating the cookies that I sent out for the occasion. We have more practice with both now--so it is more of an event :) I think four states will tune in this Christmas!
    Tough decisions, but we are figuring it out- aren't we?
    Enjoy Advent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell ya. Normally Iwould be going to church so would go to the kids on the day itself and not overnight. but I can steam mass in my bedroom on my laptop, soooooo

      Delete
  4. Hi Barb, If you have already discussed this, I apologize for the question in advance. I have never been very successful in shipping cookies. Do you have and suggestions My son and daughter-in-law's 4 month old daughter has been quite ill with covid. My son is in administration in a school in Colorado and despite his best efforts he (it was traced) brought it home. Needless to say they need some Christmas cheer. I live in Ohio and want to ship some of their favorites safely. I know I could google different methods but I know how creative you are and would be interested if you have any tricks. Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be my first time doing so. From what I've sen on my various groups, round cookies like peanut butter and chocolate ship do very well in pringles cans or empty foil/plastic wrap containers lined with wrap. For the sugar cookies I am using those plastic christmas storage containers and layering them with waxed paper and using a firmer icing than usual so if they get warm they will not completely melt. We will see, we will see.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Debbie, Fervent wishes that your granddaughter recovers quickly. Virtual hugs to you and yours.

      Delete
    4. And I will add your family to my prayers. Colorado was doing so well and then,like boom. My son and sister are both working and getting temp checks daily, but still...

      Delete
  5. You've made some wonderful plans for Christmas. But, remember that sometimes plans need adjusting. I'm sure that your positive attitude plus your ability to stay busy every day will carry you through the holidays and into 2021. Hopefully the vaccines will come your way quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your list makes me tired just reading through all the things you plan on doing. Love how you keep active.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed with your list - I'm not nearly as organized or as creative.
    Enjoy your Zoom events, take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very good list Barb. I have added looking into a free course or two in January. Must keep the old brain fit.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to use Instacart while you are new in town. Covid cases have gone up 15% because of Thanksgiving.

    You are amazingly "list oriented". I have the whole month empty after stepping down from WLLO volunteering. Then I have to join you (virtually) for eating less and walking more! tGIF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything is simpler this year. No pot lucks or backyard fire pit birthday parties for December birthday friends, no card games or domino groups, etc. I am making sure to keep up routines that lift my spirits and keep me moving forward: Ken and I play cards once a week, and have another game day too..Scrabble or Yahtzee ,etc.I get outside every single day. A walk or a bike ride or a hike. We have added a 20 minute after dinner walk too. I make meal plans and cook every day—the kitchen is a happy place for me. Holidays: I did put up the tree and am glad I did.Our grown son does come to dinner every other week and will spend Christmas here.He’s been working from home and we are all isolating.. he sees a girlfriend who gets tested everfy 2 weeks at her work. We do wear masks when indoors together, irritating and NECESSARY. I am making the usual Christmas cookies and cards for gifts for friends. I don’t push myself too much— if I want a nap I take a nap.If I want to spend three hours reading a book,I read the book.Just slowing down some and trying to savor the days... knowing this too shall pass (eventually.) HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds similar to my life except not masking at daughters as they get health checks daily, and not cooking as much..

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!