Sunday, November 15, 2020

Sunday Stuff

 So I now see a red underline on everything not spelled correctly (according to Blogger), but still no actual spell check bar. Anyone else?


It's a sunny sixty three outside, but here I am sitting in my recliner with the legs up and a blanket and a cardigan and the heat on. Perhaps because the door was wide open earlier while my daughter and son-in-law helped me finish cleaning stuff out of the car, who knows? It's just as much likely to be caused by the fact that I haven't moved around much at all-after all, it's Sunday, my day of rest!

Fortunately for my day of rest and low energy mood, yesterday I did the "cook large so you can freeze it" method of cooking for one, and made red wine Italian beef stew in the slow cooker. After two huge bowls last night, I still ended up with two containers each of which held enough for a meal, seconds and leftovers. One of which was frozen and one of which is in my small freezer. I can only hope that doing this once a week will slowly let me have enough meals in my freezer to avoid hitting takeout, cooking, or getting those Hello Fresh warm up meals from the grocery. At least part of the time. 



The rest of the time though, I'm ready to do some experimenting with the small. I picked up these small ramekinds, pie plates, and casserole pans and along with my casserole for one or one and a half, am ready to try something new. I've have a couple of muffin for one recipes for the ramekins, as well as some for mini pies and egg dishes. In fact, some of the gals and guys on the cooking for one FB group I am on have introduced me to little appliances. You know, they make a waffle the size of a hamburger bun, mini pies, small everything actually. For most of the time I think I'll use the appliances and things I have now, although I do think a smaller pie maker and perhaps a 2 quart slow cooker may be something to get eventuallty. I know lots of single readers just cook up for a week but I am a creature of habit and like variety. So we will continue to see how my cooking goes and maybe I'll share along the way. 



I finished the TV series Silver Spoon on Netflix and it was fantastic. There is a third season coming (I watched two) but it may be awhile, so I am at a loss after this and The Queen's Gambit. I tried season five of Luther but was just not happy where it is going (I love the character of Alice and they lost me with what was happening). So now I'm on the lookout for a new Nordic Noir or Australian type of show. These seem to be the things that work best for me as opposed to many of the others out there. I will have to check my watch list. And there is always the Great British Baking Show!

Also looking for a book to read. Got the new Lincoln Lawyer book, but for whatever reason put it down after a few pages, and the last two kindle books from my Kindle Unlimited did not hold my interest. Time to see what else is out there to fulfill my reading cravings as well. Before that I read the new Jack Reacher and the new K-9 mystery, so I'm sure I'll find something soon. I needed to let the new Ken Follet go back to the library because of lack of concentration during this moving process. I may just buy the darned thing.

I've decided that no matter what the Orange one does now, Biden will be in charge in January, hopefully with congressional help. Meanwhile I send the energy out daily that transition stuff happens sooner rather than later. Since my primary volunteer thing in the normal times pre-Trump was advocating for and sponsoring refugees, that gig will be awaiting me in the new year, at some point. Like a couple other blogger types I think I may need to send a little cash in the direction of Georgia. At this point I am not even sure I can form a coherent sentence about Loffler that does not include words that probably should not be on a blog page, ya know?

I had planned to start making cards (for the local nursing home and me) but I think for the rest of the week I'm gonna need that surface as a staging area as I sort all the boxes in there. So this week's creative projects will be knitting related, probably a set of placemats and coasters in holiday colors. While I was at it I also decided that making gifts was likely not in my future at least for Christmas. Anything started will be gifted as a just because when finished or given at a birthday. My other projects for this week are to start a new online class and get out the graph paper and pencils to plan some quilts.

My daughter dropped by with a three foot tree and a table to put it on, so I guess now I have an excuse to put the rest of the holiday stuff out, Thanksgiving to come or not. She also brought the two Advent calendars, making me promise no wait until the first. I think I can resist the temptation. I think.

18 comments:

  1. My fingers are crossed, too, for the runoffs in Georgia. I'm somewhat worried about the lack of cooperation with the transfer of power stuff but Biden's been through it before so I'm sure he'll handle better than others could, if it was someone else. Harris sits on some important senate committee where she gets intel too.

    My Bloggers posting screen does the red line under misspelled words and if I right click that work I get a drop down of choices to spell it differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay I will have to see if that works with the small check thing. Learn new things daily...

      Delete
  2. My blogger does not underline words in red that are spelled wrongly. AND, there is no way, no drop down of choices as previous comment said.

    I bought a tiny wafflemaker that I used brownie batter in. It made the cutest chocolate waffles. But, it is not something I would use often. However, it was $5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make waffles on a regular basis so it would be worthwhile to me. Guess different people are having different experiences with blogger

      Delete
  3. I've been cooking for one since my 33 year old daughter left for college after HS= 15 years! I cook in large pots and freeze the leftovers after 2 or 3 days but I don't need a lot of variety. You seem like you're settling in- that's great. I'm contemplating buying a small artificial Christmas tree this year so I don't have to ask for help getting a real one in the stand. What a year- but as least DT will be gone soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank heavens. Next year I may get something larger but I feel the little one on the table will be fine this year. I do like variety and not to eat things three days in a row, not that I'm opposed to leftovers as such.

      Delete
  4. Love my small pie maker. Sometimes making a large pie just for the two of us is a waste. I also love the fact that mine are just the perfect size for pot pies as well.

    Lots of mini making appliances in this house.

    I don't get the red line, and really wish that I did.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie i just saw it yesterday for the first time. I put the pie maker on my short list.

      Delete
  5. Right click and then I think you can see the spell checker option That's what I do but it is not fail proof.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What Jean said about spell check. Sure hoping Georgia pulls through as marvelously as it did for the new president.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your daughter does a good job of checking in with you to make sure you have everything you need:) You might like the series called "Borgen" on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Borgen is addictive. A new season is planned, too.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I will try it. Right now I just got a month of pbs master piece on Amazon prime so going through them, starting with Vandervalk, a series from the Freeling book series.

      Delete
  8. We are decorating earlier also. Just need some JOLLY happening. Love, love, love crockpot food. For freezing leftovers. It's just so much more fun cooking in cooler weather!

    You are doing an amazing job of getting yourself settled in! You go Girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am slowly unpakcing Christmas but have not put all the fall away. Pulled out my handmade wood nativity last night.

      Delete
  9. Hi again! I posted several weeks ago about getting a 3 qt mini Instant Pot instead of a 2 qt slow cooker but the post never showed up on your blog. So here it is again. Mine arrives Thursday from Best Buy, $59.95 same as Amazon and free shipping. I had put it into my Amazon cart and waited for the price to drop and then all of a sudden it wasn't available so I went to BestBuy. Now it is back on Amazon, but I am glad to support a different seller than the 1000 lb Gorilla. You might want to check it out and read the comments where people really like having both sizes and new features added since they were first introduced. I hope to do more plant based cooking and am looking forward to this smaller size opening up new menus.
    Jeannine in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I there! I thought I had psted that. This is lovely information but I am.nit comfy with an instant pot so I am going with the small slow cooker, probably from Walmart.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!