Wednesday, November 18, 2020

"Good Things" Here and There

My weather continues to be highs of 65 to 75 (mainly in the upper range), while the nights are generally from 45 to 55. This is not a huge change from Denver , where it is the fifty five to sixty five range with high thirties at night. It is also not as sunny, or rather, it is often cloudy in the morning and then the sun burns it off because of the lower altitude. But my ease in walking has me wondering if it was not just the uneven landscape, but also the altitude difference, even after so many years of living there. 

These days, I'm generally taking two outdoor walks-one in the morning around the small park area on the back of my building, and a long winding one in the afternoon to our little mail box area. As I explore the town more and take small drives I figure my walks will expand,  and I also do a half an hour of stretches or strength daily, as one of my goals for the new year is to become stronger. 


I love this twenty minute walk but this view just reinforces my decision to have my patio facing the courtyard, even if there are some cars, especially living on the first floor.


So it is now "open season" for federal employees (as opposed to Medicare open season). This is the time we can change our secondary insurance plans if we want, add options and take options away. I'm generally happy with where I am and will not be making changes with my monthly plan. BUT, I was shocked to find out that there is a dental insurance plan open to me with .....wait for it....an unlimited maximum benefit.  I still could be paying from zero percent up to fifty percent of some costs, it is not free. But with no benefit limit and no waiting period for any procedures except orthodontic, it SEEMS like a good deal for a gal with multiple dental problems who will most likely need two bridge replacements and/or improvements in the next year. I have to do the math with regard to monthly premiums but right now it is looking very much like a "good thing" option wise.

On the eating at home front, I have discovered eggs cooked in the microwave in a ramekin or mug. People if this is something you have always done, don't laugh too hard. I've been soft boiling or poaching eggs in water or scrambling them in a pan for years (I'm mainly an eggs and toast/muffin/whatever girl with the occasional oatmeal or waffle substitution).  After experimenting with this for a few days, this is much less messy and time consuming along with being more yummy. I'm just cracking two eggs into this sprayed ramekin, piercing the yolks and whites a couple times, putting a teeny dab of butter on top, and microwaving. My end result is a perfect equivalent of a soft boiled/poached egg, and my pal who introduced me said that if you just keep zapping, you end up with hard boiled eggs.  It's the small things, I tell you, the small things! 


My friend got the basic idea from this blog post. My microwave is 700 watts and I've done it two days at one minute but will probably cut down to fifty to fifty five seconds. My personal  goal is to get as soft cooked as soft can be while still having all the white be white. Oh, and I did not add salt, simply because I haven't gotten any yet (I use other seasonings 99 percent of the time instead). I did add butter on top and make two instead of one.

My cards are coming along, slowly but surely. Besides making cards for an assisted living center and family, I'm joining in at least two card exchanges so far, one over at Annie's blog. Hopefully I'll remember to take well lit photos for the Frugal Friday blog post.  


An inspirational photo found online, not my work-just one of many ideas I begin with.

More than a few readers have recommended the TV series Borgen, knowing my taste, and I plan to get there soon. But I had signed up for one month of Masterpiece theater on Amazon Prime, and when I was scrolling I happened to see a new limited series of Vanderwalk, based on some of the 13 Nicholas Freeling novels. It was fantastic and I'll be looking for any more shows some of these actors are in. I'm going to check if there is anything else calling to me while I have this subscription for one month and then I plan to move to Borgen, The Crown, and Virgin River starting next week. That should keep me busy for awhile.

Later this week I plan to slowly start on some Christmas baking, as much as small apartment freezer will allow. The goal is to send stocking stuffers and gifts up north by December 15, along with some cookies, especially since Colorado has now shut down again (no indoor dining, no bars, no groups, nothing).

In a case of feast or famine I may have two zooms today depending on energy/commitments. One with my old knitting group gals in the mile high state, and one for afternoon tea with the "second half" group of my church. We often ignore set topics and just chat but in theory the question of the day is favorite movies as teenages.  I was raised in a jazz/blues parental household so my choices are always a little bit..different in this area.

And finally today, my "active" complex usually has a Thanksgiving meal in the large dining room the Friday before Thanksgiving it seems. This year, that's not an option so they have catered a take away Thanksgiving meal for everyone to be picked up on Friday. I may not have to cook much this weekend!


20 comments:

  1. Roughly how long do you zap the eggs in the microwave? And at what power? They look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put some comments and a link under the photo!

      Delete
  2. That's really nice and handy to have catered dinners available for Thanksgiving! It sounds like you settling in nicely in your new community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the week before, as in day after tomorrow as that's normally when the meal would be in the dining room. But its really nice they are doing carryout for us!

      Delete
  3. You've really found a great place to be. I likely would have felt some trepidation in moving during a pandemic, but it's clear it was the right move for you.

    I haven't cooked eggs in the microwave so you've got me beat there. I had no idea it could be done. :p

    Oh, based on your comments I checked out "The Queen's Gambit" on Netflix. I'm only two shows in but I'm really enjoying it! Thanks for mentioning it - I would never have looked at it otherwise.

    Take care, stay well, and enjoy the lovely weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you are pleased with your moved as my dad always said "gettin on with your rat killin'." It meant finding worthwhile things to do or try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried cooking eggs in the microwave, but I'm sure going to follow your directions and give it a whirl. Sounds so easy. Thanks for sharing this cooking tip with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankful! A problem, totally new to me as well!

      Delete
  6. Yes, we watched Vanderwalk and really enjoyed it too. Your soft boiled eggs look fabulous. I haven't had soft boiled in quite a while. I actually like soft boiled on top of rice with a little soy sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them but normally don't have the patience for the cooking. I may need to experiment with my micro to get them perfect but these are much easier for a non morning person.

      Delete
  7. I have cooked scrambled eggs in the microwave, but I am not a fan. Besides, I need to have beater used on the eggs and then strain the eggs. I know i know. But, that is me.

    It sounds like things are going well for you for which I am happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't make poached eggs to save my life. I tried the ramequin method and the bloody things exploded all over the place, I'll have to give it another shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have to pierce both egg whies and yolks a few times and cover for splatter. I use a paper plate

      Delete
  9. Now you have me hungry for soft boiled eggs. Sounds so simple and doable. Will definitely try. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband makes poached eggs in the microwave every Friday for his brunch. He loves how fast they cook.

    Your card is gorgeous.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you discovered that dental coverage with the unlimited maximum benefit. If I'm not mistaken, I believe there are two in the FEDVIP groupings who offer that: United Concordia and Metlife (we chose the latter). We learned this the hard way a couple of years ago when my wife went through what seemed like endless dental drama for two years running. The slightly higher premium costs are worth the peace of mind now! Congrats on your new home; I do hope you're happy there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well make that three, as mine is through geha (postal workers) but I will definitely check out the other two for comparison!

      Delete
  12. Borgen is FANTASTIC you will love it. It is great tv AND it really helped me better understand some of the nuances of a parliamentary system.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!