Thursday, October 1, 2020

I'm in!! And Chaos reigns!

Well, not in, exactly! But my daughter has signed an hour's worth of paperwork in my name!  She has picked up keys for the apartment, mailbox keys, parking pass, and gotten a pile of paperwork. She also did a quick walkthrough of the apartment, but on Sunday or Monday she and my son in law are going back to look deeper and clean themselves (that's my daughter, and she didn't get it from me)!

She has alot of information for me, not all of it relevant (because all most of the common areas and activities are closed for now). 

Meanwhile friends, chaos reigns in my little corner of this house. Yes, we are at that place. Both sewing tables in the office studio are now stacked with things to pack as I go through shared boxes, pull photos and paintings of walls, and walk around rooms choosing what I am going to take. Funny, I always thought I would send my son off with HIS share of Christmas decorations and Christmas Village, his own ornaments and so on. Instead it's mainly the other way.  Who knew?

Since one or two dressers are emptied, and one has boxes stacked in front of it, my clothes are.....wherever they fit. On top of shelves,  and on top of the file box and sewing machine that have been moved to a dresser in my bedroom since they will travel in the car. Because both those sewing tables are othewise occupied,  I have no desk. I sit with my large tablet on my lap, and plug in all my devices on the nightstand in a surge protector I pulled from the bedroom.

My bedroom has three extra large boxes into which I am throwing donation bags and all those shoebox type organizers with lids that I now use for craft storage but that take up too much space to move, as well as an old suitcase with books to donate. Fortunately I've made a clear path around my bed, out the door and to the bathroom, so I stay in one piece.

I started to take pictures of the chaos, but then decided that was just too much. I will take good photos of the rooms once they are finished, packed, and waiting for the movers. My immediate goal is to have the studio finished by this weekend (as in tomorrow, not Sunday). It will have the furniture and all the boxes to be taken from that room (which will be most of them). The closet will hold things I am not taking on this trip like my serger, and some memorabilia perhaps. But everything else will be swept and cleaned out, and donations put away. My sister will use this as her home office after her period of orientation with her new contract job. I don't mind leaving stuff for my son to deal with in my bedroom as much, so that will be the second week (I dont want to box up clothes until the last minute anyway, and the donation pickup is on the 9th). 


A wall full of packing materials in front of the (not going) china cabinet. An an abstract done by my sister years ago!

I would be being less than truthful if I did not admit that there is still packing everywhere in the house, including piles of bubble wrap envelopes to be used on dishses and other breakables.  But I am seeing an end in sight!  I will be sharing a list of what I took, what I left in the house for son, what I expect son to pack and bring later, and what I got rid of (not that much), as well as what I will need in the first few months next week, for those who may be interested. 




And now onto the second cause of chaos around my Casa.  We (my sister, they, actually) have a dog. She's a rat terrier mix, at least that's what we are thinking. She's been fostered for 9 months and is adjusting very slowly. Isn't she adorable?  Even hiding her head? But friends, she is a climber, and just t0o damned smart. She slept on the sofa last night. Sometime around three am she climbed up the sofa, through the barrier of appliances/cake taker/ect on the counter and pushed through, walked around the counter, knocked the butter dish onto the floor and then either jumped off the counter or wandered back down the sofa and around.  And ate the butter.  At three am.

Since all those appliances and the cake plate are going with me, they're gonna have to come up with a new, much better dog barrier. I wish them luck.

15 comments:

  1. What a cute dog. If you get a chance, would you take a picture of her when she's standing? What is her name? Good Luck with your continued packing. I bet you're getting more and more excited about the move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will, her name is China.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. The dog is adorable. Good luck with your move. I really should take a picture of my living room (empty) and dining room (packed to the gills) for my future reference.
    I am having a mover come to Mom's tomorrow and we are moving some of her things to our houses. Both my sister's and my living rooms are about to have a drastic makeover, blending tastes and styles. It might not work but we are stuck with this stuff for while no matter what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will deal with it. I am not a minimalist as such, but I am also not a keeper. So my kids will thankfully not have alot to deal with.

      Delete
  3. The chaos of moving is hard on pets who don't understand what is going on. Make sure you pay attention to them so they don't run off to hide. I plan to put my dog in a kennel overnight when the movers come and I get settled in my new place before bringing him over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, no dogs are coming with me. Wilson has never been in a kennel or boarded in his entire life so I will probably just have Marc put him outside and stay with him. This will be a small move and shouldn't take them too long. His trauma will be when I go.

      Delete
  4. I want to sit next to the dog and cuddle her on my lap, she is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the beginning of our relationship, Jeffrey and I moved constantly. While I hated the grueling process of packing, I used to love getting to move into a new space and create a new home space. Now that we’re older, and we’ve spent 8 years getting this house the way we want, the thought of moving again some day fills me with dread. (Not the being in a new place, just the process of getting there.)

    I hope this is more exciting than not for you. I look forward to seeing your new space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be my last move before living with my daughter and son in law. It is very exciting although I'm going into the home stretch and my list is long today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will have everything ready to go in time. Just this last minute sprint to the finish line to get through.

    What a cute puppy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The puppy is cute! And from the sounds of it, trouble. Is that her name?

    Glad to hear you're getting your place, that packing is going well, and things are falling into place. Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her name is China. We hate that we are calling her the name of the evil empire by she's six years old.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on your new place. About the dog. Well, a dog wants to go where a dog wants to go!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!