Friday, November 1, 2019

Frugal Friday-With Some Seriously Unfrugal Additions!



The dog is sitting in the chair opposite me (the one near the window), and whimpering and moaning and making all kinds of sounds in his sleep while his foot jerks. I can only assume that whatever rabbit or squirrel or duck he is chasing in his dream, he's enjoying the chase whether he catches anything or not. Or maybe he's dreaming about food inadvertently left in his reach, who knows!

So,  in the interests of honesty and forthrightness ...........let's face the unfrugal first, shall we?. I did a stupid thing. A very stupid thing. I authorized a payment for a large amount for now instead of the tenth when it was due (and when I get paid). Which meant that no matter how quick I was at transferring money, no doubt about it I was going to have some charges-quite a few charge actually. Lesson learned on the scheduling ahead stuff perhaps? This was not one of those things I can automate a withdrawal for. 


Fortunately the second less than frugal error was at least a conscious decision, and one that involved a much smaller amount. While doing my mall walking yesterday, I purchased a pair of new Skechers at the full price-no discounts and no deals. Not a need in capital letters as such, but a cooler weather pair of shoes or so were due to me, since the old ones were dead. They have the stretchable ties (the only kind I can wear), and while they are not comfortable for hours on end, my heavier socks fit in them and they are comfortable for walking and stable in the slush for some time.

Those admissions aside, on to the frugal stuff and money spent:

1.  Today I am getting ready to cook two small (two and a quarter pound each) boneless pork loins that I  purchased at mark down and froze (see them thawing in water). I could have cooked just one, but I think I am going to slice both and after cook and then freeze the sliced meat in the leftover cooking material (I'm thinking brown sugar or maple and mustard with rosemary but haven't gotten there yet). 




2.   The consignment and thrift market has moved online with a vengeance. In contrast to the above purchase, I ordered these $168 dollar gently used SAS shoes for 17 bucks and basically free shipping. Yes, I occasionally buy used shoes. I sit them in the sun and spray them and have never have an issue and I have sensitive skin. I can only do this with SAS shoes, because they all fit the same once they have measured your feet. 




3.  I spent some time hanging up all my sweaters and tops in my closet to see what I actually had, knowledge being power and all that. I also reclaimed some of the things that I had been willing to let go that fit me and I enjoyed even if they were not my perfect color. While I am going to write a long missive and put it as a page above, I've decided that getting rid of comfortable, presentable things to fit a "wardrobe guideline" or whatever is silly and I will do that, if ever, through attrition. 





4. I downloaded my free Amazon first read for the month of November, and I'll review the author once I've read the book. 
5. In an effort to waste nothing and make do with the Christmas fabric I have, which is not actually an enormous amount, I've moved from the ornaments to making patchwork candle mats or large mug rugs/coasters for the gals in my knitting group and my meetup group. I'm determined to both be budget wise, and give everyone something they can actually use and appreciate during the holidays.

6. I did not order the previously mentioned meat bundle. Not that I won't at sometime in the future, but I would rather check out the individual items they make one at a time before I commit to a big bundle. I plan on trying their meatloaf mix and the chicken cordon bleu in the next ten days.

7.  I got both my pneumonia booster and my flu shot. Frugal because........illness. And then attendant doctor visits, specialty foods and just plain miserable-ness.

8.  At my meetup group, I am spending the month of November passing around the can so to speak-donations are voluntary but the meetup costs $23 dollars a month and so I ask for donations twice a year. I don't want to charge a membership free but cannot pay the freight alone so this subsidizes the social activity.

9. I cut down my Christmas list to a reasonable amount, both in terms of effort and gifting and made serious limits on both and the schedule as well for the next two months. Both offspring now make more than I do (although both have student debt in painful amounts) and I helped with the wedding and am returning to see my daughter graduate from grad school. Moderation and creativity are my theme this year, starting with working on those liqueur gifts (and sharing recipes) that I talked about earlier.

10. I kept mainly to my first of the month spending plan (see below), knowing that I will have some alternate week meat buying and such.

And now it's time to stop eating the filberts and Brazil nuts from the mixed nut jar, feed the canines and decide on that pork recipe.

What I spent this week:

$ 138 Grocery spending without meat (includes personal and paper and most food for two weeks).

$100 on clothing for two heavy sweaters and a pair of super comfortable shoes PLUS an extra $50 for a second pair of shoes that was not in the original plans

$8 on a single prescription-I planned on $24  but the others still have a month of their 90 days left.

$ 45 on filling the tank spending

$ 20 Haircut

$ 100 pulled for entertainment, out of which 35 was spent this weekend.

There was no $100 meat order, instead we will use up what we have and will experiment with one or two of the butcher's meals, and the $40 for my copay for urgent care will be paid on the 12th. Because of my error I will also put the Amazon order off to the 12th and by then may have some Christmas gifts or supplies to add.

Next weeks spending should only include a happy hour (I have a movie card for the movie to see the Terminator) and possibly some meat and fruit.





18 comments:

  1. I think those clothing guidelines are stupid. If I don't like something, I just wear it around the house or yard. My good sweater with a hole in it can be relegated to around the house, that kind of thing.

    I have figured out by trying on and buying a couple of SAS what size I wear. I saw some online, used, that I plan to buy. I know Medicare/Medicaid will pay for one pair, but I would like a pair for going out into rainy weather.

    A pork loin is thawing right now. I should have thawed both and sliced them for the future. Oh, well.

    I have only overpaid like that once, and it could have been catastrophic.

    I cannot wear lace up shoes at all, but I have not tried the stretchy laces. It still makes me crazy to think about any kind of laces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many who would agree with you. with the rare exception of sweats in freezing weather, I refuse to wear something in the house that I would not wear elsewhere as I come and go and am not committed to being in the house. once things are stained or non fixable, out they go.

      Delete
    2. and if you are near a real SAS store they will always measure you foot for free as a matter of principle

      Delete
    3. I don't mind changing into clothes without holes, coming home and putting on the ratty stuff again. That's just me. I know people who buy expensive things just to wear around the house!

      Delete
  2. The stretchy laces are really great. You can get your shoes on and off without retying your shoes. I also like the slide-up thingies on stretchy laces.

    I have way too many clothes but I can't seem to decide what to get rid of. I clearly need a plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I defnitely did get rid of anything not in perfect condition and some things, I need to downsize even more but am trying to do it through attrition after these purchases, the "once something goes, or two things go then I can get something new" philosophy. I hate ahving too many clothes as much as I ahte having two little.

      Delete
  3. Balancing our budgets is an ongoing adventure! We just had a major car servicing which was needed but it is hard to plan for beyond the oil change schedule. Add in taking family out to eat, work on the house, clothes and shoes and there you go.

    The SAS shoes look lovely and comfy. I need to make myself drive to the store about 30-40 minutes away and get measured to see if they will work for me. I have Clarks that are great but their sizing/fit varies tremendously.

    Good luck with your gift making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love Clark's but lately they have not done so well for me.

      Delete
  4. Always good to get your pneumonia booster and a flu shot. And they're free with Medicare, anyway, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Not sure about that new shingles one though.

      Delete
  5. My Mom always bought SAS shoes when she was old. Expensive but they fit so well and gave her the support she needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are expensive ..
      And their styles have changed up so they are pretty fashionable these days with heels and colored sandals and the like



      Delete
  6. Life has a way of throwing curveballs, doesn't it? I had my tires changed over to snow tires with an additional $100 charge tacked on because my summer tires have been leaking and needed to be re-sealed. Not in the budget but I'll manage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barb,
    You have more energy than anyone I know. Thanks for posting about SAS shoes. I will look into them. Do they make them for men? We’re doing pork loin in the InstaPot tonight and watching football. Will freeze the leftovers. I’m rambling, but I enjoy reading your posts and just wanted to tell you that. Have a great weekend. Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely they do! I'm not sure they make any steel pointed or safety ones, my son the restaurant manager has to get them from skechers. But they have loads of men's offerings. I admit I am probably a walking add for skechers and SAS. In the old days, Walmart actually had something called Earth's best that were almost comparable, but no more-you can tell I have serious knee and leg issues lol. I have to admit I am nervous about an instapot...pressure and all that. I'm foregoing college football today for Jack Ryan season 2. Hopefully I dont miss too much.

      Delete
  8. As things no longer fit, or become worn out I phase them out of my wardrobe. As another poster said sometimes those wardrobe guidelines are for the birds.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many good point, Barb. I think your idea about trying items prior to buying that meat bundle is so good! We were thinking of buying a bundle, but I think we'll try a few options, first. Your comments about Christmas giving reminded me of something that helped guide us a few years ago. Both hubby's mother and mine led the way in simplifying gifting. They both wanted get togethers with lots of good food, and the little ones always got nice gifts, but the adults stopped buying gifts for everyone. It was a little different at first, but then we loved being able to focus on family time together and watching the children open presents. Every family needs to figure out what works, but I think we moms often lead the way in this area.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!