Monday, October 14, 2019

Monday Musings-Socks and Sandals, Zero Waste

As I sit here waiting for my brother to come and take sis and I to lunch (before he tinkers with the off kilter garage door), the weather is 70 and feels like a bit more and will be 75 and continually sunny for today and the highs will be up to eighty this week. Before we hit a high of 52 and possible precip on Saturday. This,  my friends, is why I don't bother setting my thermostat to automatic hardly ever except perhaps in August. And why my closet never has things put away or out of season. 



As I wait to go to Lucille's Creole Cafe and have beignets for lunch.........

1.  My sister went to visit a friend this weekend. Said friend has turned her home into a mini farm and sells her produce from the front of her house (right in downtown Denver). She invited my sister to a talk on no/low waste and she came home raving-both about many of the ideas in terms of the planet, and also on the savings from said steps.  One of our big goals is lowering the food waste (we cannot compost right now, and lettuce in the landfill is as bad as cow methane). I'm going to start by freezing immediately after cooking and if that lowers the leftovers on hand for lunches we'll deal with that another way.

2.  I've changed over mainly to sandals and socks as my foot attire. Since at least one regular reader always asks "What's up with that?", here's the story. I have extreme sensitivity on the tops of my feet in the middle. I cannot wear tie shoes at all. Occasionally I can wear Skecher Go Walk types of shoes without socks if they are a little big. While I don't have them on today I also like really really bright socks with jeans, leggings or the like. So each year I take the oldest pair of SAS sandals from the summer and turn them into year around shoes. Since the oldest this year are this bone color, I may throw my pennies and dollars at a brown or black pair. 


these are too painful to wear because of the strap!


3. On Sunday we went to see our local Town Hall Arts Center version of Cabaret. Unusual both because rarely do I entertain on the weekend unless it is with working family members and the fee for said musical was almost $40-and we went out and grabbed a drink afterward. This is why most of my social life on a budget (yes! a title for a post I think) is ten dollar entrees and water and why I cut in areas such as food and challenge myself to buy used (there are a couple six month challenges coming up).  



4. Last week was a famine week on the leaving the house front. I managed to work out, clean out my closet pretty much entirely, knit and sew and read more than one book. This week is a bit more feast with a fairy garden making class tomorrow afternoon, knitting on Wednesday, the church Young at Heart group and happy hour on Thursday. Fortunately today, Friday and Saturday will be stay at home and craft and read (and use that slow cooker) days.

5. I think I mentioned this before perhaps. But as I was revisiting my trip to Texas with friends this weekend, I realized that for most things, even travel, three weeks is the absoluter most I am willing to be away from home, and two and a half weeks are better. Something to consider as I plan a vacation in February and another in April/May.

I guess I've become more of a homebody than I thought!

19 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing your fairy garden. I make one every summer and so far have 4 of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have piles of them and I am not sure we have window space for another single one. honestlyu. I may just be an observer.

      Delete
  2. Learn to like left-overs is the best tip I have to cut down on food waste. Sometimes they even taste better the second time around. I admire your dedication to striving to be more earth-friendly in all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do eat left overs. But we often have too many leftovers. so now I will be freezing half of every slow cooker meal I make or dividing large casseroles into eight by eights. I really can only eat a leftover once-for lunch of dinner the next day before it is too much.

      Delete
  3. Have you looked into dying those bone sandals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but thats a great thought, actually, thanks!! I'll look into it.

      Delete
  4. I take an old pair of sandals to be worn with socks, too. My feet cannot handle lace up shoes or the ones in the picture. My daughter thinks my wearing socks with sandals is horrible. Of course, all my socks and shoes were lost in the house demolition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always said that getting away is wonderful, but coming home is the best.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Cabaret" is one of my most favourite musicals! I hope it was a good performance and that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good and I liked the new stanging they did.

      Delete
  7. Skecher Go Walks come in Wide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. But that doesn't help the top of my feet I still need a larger sized shoe length wise. It is my cross to bear.

      Delete
  8. I may or may not have mentioned this previously, but my daughter and son-in-law have Denver on their short list at the point that he retires from the navy, due to it's military-friendly tax stance. So I love reading about the weather and activities you highlight on your blog. They are currently in Metro DC, which is not exactly replete with either great weather, or the outdoor activities this retiree needs, but the Denver area sounds heavenly by comparison, so my fingers are crossed.

    I'm so much of a rolling stone, that your maximum time limit for being away is my maximum time limit for remaining at home. Different strokes! 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely. You know the 20 years I actually lived in DC the weather never bothered me a bit. I expect after denver it would..

      Delete
  9. Hi, Barb,
    I want to hear more about Lucille's Creole Cafe and beignets...love them. I wear over-sized Crocs and socks most of the winter. It's rare that I'm out of them except when driving. Can't wait to read "Social Life on a Budget." Since I don't have much of a social life, maybe a budget would help. Enjoyed your post. Joe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Colorful socks with my sandals are my favorite garb! I don’t like to have my feet closed in, unless hiking a rocky sandy trail thenI’ll wear sneakers! I’m with you not he travel..we have an 18 day trip in 2020 and I am already a bit nervous.. but.. it’s too a far away land..(Thailand) and I want us to make the most of it..so here i go. Home is where the heart is but I’m now it’s important to stimulate the mind body and spirit..and travel sure does fit the bill.. BEIGNETS!!!!!! I can’t wait for a family reunion we’ll be having in New Orleans also in 2020!! You’ll find me at Cafe Du Monte!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good day !!
    We are Christian Organization formed to help people in need of help,such as
    financial assistance, Do you need a loan to pay your bills? Do you need
    Personal Business Car or Student loans? Need a loan for various other
    purposes? If yes contact us.

    Please these offer is for serious minded and God fearing People Only.

    Email: jacksonwaltonloancompany@gmail.com

    Text or call: +1-205-5882-592.

    Address is 68 Fremont Ave Penrose CO, 81240.

    Website: jacksonwaltonloancompany.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Everyone. I want you all to know about the hacked atm card, for those of you who been fighting for financial issues, here is a great chance for you to get a blank atm card, you can use this blank atm card to withdraw anywhere around the world, you can withdrawal up to $3,000 USD per day with this card and also you can use it to shop online and attach it to your PayPal, if you want to get one for yourself, contact via email: (harrybrownn59@gmail.com), do not miss this great opportunity of your life, contact them now and thank me later.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!