Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Girl's Day Out-Fairy Garden Fun



Yesterday morning I went digging. Digging into the bottomless pit that is our deep freeze. I wanted to see what we had and get some, some kind of organization! I know deep freezers can be harder to organize, but they keep food colder. And it's almost impossible to walk away and not close the door. My organizational system  is not be Pinterest worthy in this case, but a couple boxes and bins later I at least know what I have, for Pete's (and the budget's) sake!

I can only hope that said inventory will help with menu planning and cut down on the food waste. And, of course, clear out the freezer for Christmas baking!

Which turned out to be two flat iron steaks, two packages of burgers, four packages of oxtails, chicken thighs, country ribs, two pork roasts, pork chops, beef eye of round steaks, shredded beef to make Philly sandwiches, frozen salmon fillets, chicken legs, a ham bone with bunches of ham still on, three or four other pieces of meat that I can't think of right now (I made an inventory and put it away) two large Ziploc freezer bags of tomato basil soup and assorted vegetables, frozen fruits, frozen biscuits, garlic bread and corn dogs. Yes, we do plan our meals around the meat. Carnivores are we. I still need to do a pantry and inner freezer inventory, but I count easily sixteen meals not counting any leftovers that may come from the oxtail soup or the ham and bean soup. It may be time to eat from the freezer and work on using up what we have.

After said digging (said cold digging mind you-I had no gloves on and was in the garage which is cooler than the rest of the house), It was time to get rid of the productive time of day and move to to fun part.............where the girls go out and make fairy gardens!  Yes, us gals of a certain age surely do like to make stuff. As long as wherever we go the project ends up as a finished item as a couple of the gals are known to say. . By the way, below is the painted pottery leaf that I made way back in the pottery painting class before my Texas visit. 




Fairy gardens are really just dish gardens as most of my gardening type readers know-except that the plants are smaller and after planting and watering, you get to put all kinds of other cool stuff in said garden. Rocks or stones to make water, fairies and fairy houses, season decor that you can change out. It all works. I tend to be of the seasonal change persuasion, and have even made some of my own mini decorations (tombstones out of painted cardboard, min birdhouses as Christmas village pieces). 

After all, as someone who decorates her house for all of the main holidays and more of the minor ones than I care to admit, anything fun or decorative that can be changed up by season (especially cheaply) is on my radar. Said, my friends as I make miniature tombstones from cardboard and paint and such for a Halloween theme.

I personally did not make a new fairy garden on this expedition, but rather was the coordinator and hostess extraordinaire.  Because I simply do not have any more window space for plants, anywhere in the house. And because in my grace and coordination I somehow, somehow, walked into a hanging planter at the garden store. Leaving me with a fun bump on my forehead. If there is a way to hit something, let me tell you my friends, I will find it.

And now I am limping off to knitting, where I hope to cast on the living room throw that will be my brother and sister in law's Christmas gift. Am I the only knitter in the bunch who hates the casting on part?


11 comments:

  1. I don't mind casting on but I sure mind the counting. I get lost counting and have to do it several times.

    Fairy garden planters must be popular right now. Our senior hall is doing a class on them. I'm not fond of them because they don't stay in scale long enough to suit me. But it's the get-together to share the experience of making stuff that's the REAL prize you go home with.

    I have a list of the stuff in my freezer with the dates on the packages with the product. I keep it right inside the freezer so I can see in a glace what needs using first. Works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in the casa, we simply trim them down and have no problem keeping them small. I do have a Norfolk Pine that I decided to le grow into it's own pot but in general we have no problem keeping them small because we start with mniature plants, I did not count I simply cast on and then I went back and had to take some off........Im not a count every stitch especially when this one was like 4. Its a throw though so a mistake will harm nothing.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you all had a fun outing! I really like the colors that you chose for the painted pottery leaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do to and that place was really fun, I think we will go back.

      Delete
  3. I like your pottery leaf dish! Have fun eating up all that meat from the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, tonight I am siting and organizing meals.

      Delete
  4. Ohhh, pretty pottery leaf. I love the colours you chose.

    Enjoy using up the freezer to make room for goodies.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taking a freezer inventory now and then is important to managing the menu. I vowed not to add anything to the freezer before using up what was already there. It took 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I've never had (or made) a fairy garden but have always pined for a doll house, so I may have to let the boys do one. It won't be fairies but perhaps a scene from one of the wars!

    I used to visit my parents and cook up a storm to freeze for them. I bought a dry erase board and listed everything! So if I made 24 cabbage rolls, if they used 3 they could easily change it to 21. They kept it on their fridge to help them decide what to have before heading out to the shop to get the main dish. They were very very frugal, so if they were so hungry they got out 3 instead of 2 items, they'd made soup with the leftover one!

    I tried organizing here but no one else used it (and they do 99% of the cooking) and then the boys commandeered it for playing school.

    Put some candy corn in that dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could easily do one with military people and tanks and I think it would be cute.

      Delete
  7. I'm here to testify about Mr John Blank ATM Cards which can withdraw money from any ATM machines around the world.. firstly I thought it was scam until I saw so many testimony about how Mr John sent them the ATM blank card and how it was used to withdraw money in any ATM machine and become rich so I decided to risk the opportunity I contacted him also and I applied for the Blank Card to my greatest surprise I have used it to get 10,000 dollars. maximum withdrawal daily $1,000, Mr John is giving out the card just to help the poor. Hack and take money directly from any ATM Machine Vault,If your interested kindly contact him directly on his email (johnlopez1945@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!