Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Quilts and Scraps-and Self Entertaining!

Y'all remember that earache issue I mentioned and the wax kits? Well today I said to hell with it and went to Urgent care. Where the guy said I had the cleanest ears he ever saw....all the way back to the huge infection right into the eardrum. Sigh. I can only think that I have just started using earphones in the last month to six weeks while I walk and that I need to make sure they are cleaned each time. Thankfully there was no urgent care bill and the Amoxicillin cost me almost nothing.  I don't care what anybody else says, I love Medicare!

In other news, today I wandered out on the proverbial town a bit. One of the things about visiting daughter and son in law is that they are working, doing clinicals and really cannot take weeks of vacation in their lives every time I come down.  So I am generally on my own part of the time.  Especially this clinical rotation when DD is gone four days from six to six (but then home on three days) 

My son-in-law leaves the house from like three to ten or eleven five times a week and is home during the day. But he has his own things going on from  yard work to being on the computer to the dogs to doing house stuff to refurbishing and then selling old video games he finds. In other words, he doesn't entertain me as such and I don't expect him to.

 On the days I hang around the house, we both do our own thing (I always bring books, knitting and save big computer project or volunteer stuff that needs to be done for times like this), or I may watch TV.  We talk to each other throughout the day and when he makes lunch he generally offers to make it for me as well as I don't like invading someone else's (his)kitchen. I also use time with the dogs to sit and enjoy the patio (just like home) and do some serious journaling, reflection and planning for the long term., which generally leads to new plans, new ideas and new blog posts and such!

Some days I go out. To lunch, to shop, to find a place to work out, to go to a local meet up or quilt group meeting. Unfortunately, there's no silver sneaker gym close to them and I need to drive on a toll road a half an hour to get to the Y. So when I am here longer, I will join that and be active but I fully admit this week the steps have gone all to hell. As of Friday I begin the serious, intensive, running all over the place for the wedding routine and hopefully that will up the energy level.

Anyhoo, after having an Atkins shake this morning I headed out for awhile-but not before grabbing a tea and yes, a frosted pumpkin cookie from Panera. In no particular order I hit up the giant quilt shop, the giant thrift shop for crafters, and the trusty Urgent care locale.






I think I've decided that everywhere I go now, I'm searching for one of these places and if I were younger and more business like I would create one! This one was much more organized than the last one I went to but believe me, just as full of stuff. Heck, I spend so much time looking around, that it was time to move on and I barely had anything in my bag (which is okay this trip, but I'll be back). I ended up purchasing some patterns and various thinks for mixed media collages such as stencils and paper packs and also five skeins of yarn for abut a cool ten bucks! 








Then of course, I went to my fabric fabric store in the world. Truth be told now, I buy almost all of my fabric online. But I love to go into a fabric store and touch all the fabrics, see what's new and look  at all the samples that they have on the wall. I ended up only buying one small packet of fabric to make quilted Christmas Ornaments for all the people in my "groups" and that was it. I may hit this same store on the way out of town, who knows.

The bottom line is that I had a fun day out on the town, got some cool stuff and the good drugs and spent less than 25 bucks. A win, win when I am looking forward to jewelry, hair, makeup and pedicure purchases just for starters plus a few meals out here and there with family.  

A possibility


As for the urgent care facility, all I can say is that by the time I was done registering at CVS and waiting and doing all the things I needed to do at both pharmacy and urgent care as a first time out of town patient, I could have used a nap (seriously, it was pretty efficient overall).

And now, daughter, beagles and I are ready to put our feet up, have family time and watch a show was just introduced to on HBO.

Oh, and I have also spent some time online learning about what her area has to offer since when I did live in Dallas I lived in another area. Should I decide to come down for two weeks or a month in February, I see there is a senior center, a library with senior programs and more..........all good, all good.

8 comments:

  1. After reading your posts about thrift stores for crafters, I decided to google them to see if we have any where I live. We do! I will definitely pay them a visit if I have to downsize any more art supplies.

    I'm glad your visit is going as planned Sounds relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really great, and actually in Denver we have a store that takes quilting fabric as long as it's at least a quarter yard.

      Delete
  2. All of our thrift stores sell a bit of craft items, but we don't have a dedicated store. I sure wish we did.

    Enjoy your time with your DD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you're enjoying your time in Texas:) I think the necklace and earrings in the picture would look really nice with the dress you are planning to wear for your daughter's wedding. You'll have to show a picture of whatever jewelry you pick out to go with your dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will te some good pictures at some point or get a picture of just me at the wedding (I generally dont share pics of my family online).

      Delete
  4. So wish we had a thrift store for crafts here. You are very lucky.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. L-O-V-E that jewelry on your "possible" list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Instead of using "ear bud" headphones that fit right into your ear, switch to the more old-fashioned "over the outside of the ear" headphones. They're more sanitary. I just like them better too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!