Friday, June 28, 2019

The Bright, The Pastel and the Semi Frugal (and a question).

I have been desperately needing some new tennis/walking shoes for awhile. I have a pair of Skechers tennis shoes with stretch ties, basically a much older version of the flex sneaker with elastic ties.  But they were old, my feet have become more sensitive on top and with my ankle being huge, they were not the most comfortable. Kohl's was have a sale this week, where I could get "go walks" for forty instead of sixty, so I headed out there. Had I thought about it I would have checked what was in stock before I went. Bu this was one of those times when I had to try on shoes, even though I have worn the same size in this brand for years. So off I went.

The good news?  The sale was still on and going strong. The questionable news?  There were no white, no beige, no gray, no black, just multi color. In this case in shades of bright pink and blue.  And yes, of course I got them. If nothing else, you will be able to see me coming, and I wear alot of blue, purple and pink. Do note the difference between ankle left and ankle right in the picture. Five minutes of injury, twice as many months in recovery, or so it seems. 


After all your lovely input, I thought I would share the two packages of fabric I am ordering. I was hesitant on the West Palm just because it has some whites which I rarely use, but it also has flamingos and tropical flowers. So I went all in and still may order the Pinkerville at some point.  Also below is a picture or two of what I'm planning with the oranges and pinks (I will need to add some fabrics), but I plan to use either shades of cream or shades of gray. 





In other news with regard to color, my daughter has finalized her wedding colors for her backyard wedding and tentatively chosen the dresses for all the little girls in the family. Which leaves me with blush, or a slightly darker pink as my option-it's now definite. I'm slowly on the search and hope to add a shawl with some extra color. I will definitely need makeup, jewelry and perhaps a spray tan, non pastelly type that I am! 





As for frugal Friday stuff, well............This week maybe it should be financial Friday instead of frugal?

1. I had very little "saved savings" this month. Partly because most of my purchases were "needs" like gifts and bras and food. And partly because I just didn't get organized in terms of tracking the not spent and the receipts. Since my first pay day two or three days before the first, I already have one or two receipts with that "you saved" total on the bottom and I plan to start tallying now! Good thing I committed to this through August.

2. As I mentioned in the other post, with the exception of dining out (I refuse to share that number right now), all other entertainment and fun stuff was basically free. While we continue to eat out twice a month at home, I'm adjusting the day schedule so there are many, many less lunches per month for my gals group (now a meetup, by the way).

3. I'm determined to use all of the art supplies I have been gifted, gifting of them when possible.  I've been taking a drawing class on the Great Courses Plus and a collage class on Utube. So today I ventured out to get the watercolor pad, mixed media pad, drawing pad and Gesso, along with some small canvases. At fifty percent off-and hopefully they will last me for a long time. One of the classes I am taking shows how to make your own collage papers out of newsprint and recycled papers and such and I am looking forward to that.

4. Here comes the question part. I purchased some personal training and I am having buyers remorse (my down and dirty cancel day is Tuesday). If you have ever done this, especially if you are not athletic or excessively "active", I would love to hear your thoughts. In theory this is all "functional fitness" and I did meet my trainer, but I have been hurt previously twice by so called professional trainers and I do a weight workout at home. I guess I'm saying "give me a good reason not to cancel", because that's where I am at the moment:.

5.  I've decided to divide my "free, not regular bills" money into weeks. I don't know that I will pull it out as cash (I am so not a cash girl, but recently I've had two times when I wish I had had a little), or just track that amount. The goal is to spend as little and save the rest towards my September and October and I figure that it'll be easier to track. I plan to start with next Monday and share the amount on the blog and how I have it budgeted.

By the way, I loved the soccer game today!   But anyone who doesn't think the worse is probably still to come hasn't been paying attention. Those girls in orange, man.......

31 comments:

  1. If you listen to trainers and leaders of classes, you will hurt yourself. I have. Thankfully,when I studied Tai Chi, the leader corrected my action. When I told him I was told by my doctor NOT to pivot on that foot because of surgery on that knee, he stopped the class and told all to never do an action that would cause injury or pain. I was grateful.

    I have been other activity classes where the leader pushed or disapproved of any action to protect a knee or ankle. I soon dropped out with an injury.

    I suppose we have to object and protect ourselves from people whose egos are on the line, not our safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had actually very good luck with class leaders who have been very knowledgeable in terms of yoga, tai chi and silver sneakers. But this is a different level.

      Delete
  2. I , also, vote against the trainer. They do not have to have training to do their work. It is totally unregulated.
    I am encouraging you, again, to be evaluated by the VA. Your feet are a result of the military--you need to get a PT and have them worked on. Those ankles are a bigger problem of water retention and that is a concern for me to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, my right ankle is fine. And my left ankle is directly a result of a fall. No water damage there. Were you to touch it it is all soft tissue damage. But I am lucky I fell sideways and not forward. I may see a pt again eventually but it is slowly settling and I can walk and work out at will. My knees could possibly be blamed on the army but severe weight as well....sigh.

      Delete
  3. PS- I don't do light pink- would you consider a shawl the color of the little girl dresses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's up to the daughter. I dont actually do burgundy either but I will wear what she asks in this case.

      Delete
  4. The tennis shoe manufactures make very few basic colors anymore. They sell us more shoes that way. It's very annoying when you have to wear them to walk and you'd like a plain pair to go with better clothing than work out stuff. I will be facing that problem in the fall.

    I don't think any woman over 30 looks good in pink. I don't envy you trying to trick out that color for a wedding. Maybe you've got time to make yourself a fabric shawl customized in a floral print with the wedding colors but dominated by raspberry like the little girl's dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I actually wear a fair amount of pink. Only its bright pink and a warm pink. Not the pale or blush. I'll go with what the daughter recommends though as this is her event.

      Delete
  5. I used a personal trainer for Pilates for years until we moved. I loved it and was careful to specify my goals, my physical problems including limitations due to surgeries, etc. We worked quite well together and there were several different ones over the years. I would make sure the trainer can do "restorative" training, has worked with seniors and/or those just starting to train, have written out what I want from the sessions such as new arm or leg strengthening exercises, feedback on technique, etc. Also I'd go prepared with a clear written list of what movements I can't do due to injuries or weight lifting restrictions. Perhaps more PT first makes more sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly what im wondering. They hit SAID it would be all fun fictional stuff and no machines would be involved any time in the future. But at the same time I feel like there are many group classes and I should be concentrating on doing what i can and just doing g more of it.

      Delete
  6. I wonder if you saw a physical therapist, even for a month or s, you would get realigned to the correct exercises for your physical needs rather than a personal trainer. If you could get a referral, the cost would just be the co-pay, which I know can be high, but might be on par with the same cost as a personal trainer and then you the advantage of someone that is actually medically and athletically trained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I love the sneaker colors. You are right, can be worn with many things, plus if they support your feet, a bargain.

      Delete
    2. I e had it before and would be okay with the cost. But I REALLY need strength and balance work which is not their area as such. I just feel I can do.it on my own or in a group.

      Delete
  7. I just had 12 sessions with a personal trainer who happened to be the instructor from the local Silver Sneakers class. Because he knew about working with seniors and was verging on senior status himself, he knew how to tailor our sessions for what was I wanted and needed. Which was maintaining health and function and NOT ‘rock hard abs’ and a ‘bikini ready body’.😜. Also, a good sign is if your trainer is American Council on Exercise certified. The process is fairly rigorous and you’ll be assured the trainer knows anatomy, physiology and more than just what he/she picked up around the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. Absolutely. I am looking g for functional training as in steps and balance and being able to get off the ground and such. Much to co sider this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could easily fins some short yoga programs that are easy for seniors, online, and they help so much with balance:tree pose is the best and not so hard.

      Delete
  9. I had a trainer before I retired but it was expensive and I did not lose weight or get a "bikini body" but I've just signed up for a Stay Steady class to maintain mobility and strength as I age. It is less expensive and geared for older adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not be looking to lose weight and an get a bikin i body, this would be for strentgth. I may move to a class.

      Delete
  10. I think you might be pleasantly surprised when you settle on the light pink/ blush color. In my opinion, the "family" of pink colors look can look great on everyone of all ages! Love the shoes, by the way. As for the trainer, i think it could be a good experience if the trainer is well educated in anatomy. I was lucky enough to find a yoga teacher who gives me private classes. She is a former EMT and is well-versed in anatomy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely not afraid of it as such it just needs to be a really "warm" blush, or I will be completely washed out.

      Delete
  11. I had very good luck with personal trainer ... for 3 free visits. But I was too cheap to continue. He guided me as an old, overweight, out of shape who hasn't exercised. Ever. It was great! If only I could follow through ....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Price is defnintely a consideration..

    ReplyDelete
  13. If that's not where you are at the moment, then don't do it . . . but make sure you do some workouts at home. I've had back problems. I had three physical therapy sessions, that's it. But thy gave me exercises to do at home, and as long as I do them, my back feels fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I do walking on the trackand half an hour of cross trainng most days, but no real strength activities....

      Delete
  14. I've found that the Silver Sneakers workout helps me improve my balance and strength. I know you also attend Silver Sneakers and that might be all you need for now until you're more comfortable in seeking additional personal training.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually dont do SS any more. I need to sit down for most of the weight and balance exercises and so found I wasnt getting enough serious aerotic exercise. so now I do a full hour of cardo and work on the weights on my own a bit. At the same time I do need more strength.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wouldn't go with the trainer. I'd find some type of exercise routine that worked for you. I walk fast on the treadmill 40 minutes 5 days a week for about 2 and a half hours at a time. I probably need to exercise more muscles but it is something and I'm not paying for it.

    I like Kohl's but it seems I can never find our sizes when looking for shoes or clothes in general. We may be the "popular" sizes that everyone is looking for and thus harder to keep in stock.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty. I d0 aerobic exercise for sn hour daily and get six thousand steps. Training would be for strength and flexibility which I really need. I also.hate tonpay for it. Just not sure I can do the weight stuff on my own

      Delete
  17. I do all my exercise at home with videos or hand held weights or treadmill.Have been hurt by trainers. Unless you have one who is absolutely certified and VERY EXPERIENCED with mature exercisers and who trains at YOUR pace, I'd cancel. I just don't trust many trainers to be cautious . And it takes SOOO long to recover these days when we are hurt-- no thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Late to the game on this post :).... but I wanted to say your fabric choices will be perfect for your two quilts. And those quilts are absolutely gorgeous...I especially love the first one (ooo, it's got me inspired..)

    Your shoes are cute...you'll be smiling every time you look down on your walks! Hey, they're making me smile just looking at them here :)

    I'm not sure if this is typical or not, but my pt also has a certified athletic trainer on staff. They market it for all ages, stages, goals and abilities. If a trainer isn't on staff near you, maybe your pt would have recommendations of a trainer that might be appropriate for your goals. Best wishes on your fitness goals, however you get there!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your colorful new shoes. I buy Skechers shoes (I like the ones that have stretchy strings I don't have to tie) and Clark sandals. These brands have comfortable innersoles. Your quilting selection looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!